Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

studiopaul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2013
Hi

I have a mac pro A1186 emc no 2113 M43 base/3.0qx/2x512/7300gt/250/sd

It had a faulty video card that i removed and replaced a blown capacitor.
the video card worked for a while..so being confident I replaced all the caps that were going bad.
Then as i replaced card..pop!!! I think i had a short on the card...

So needless to say i now have no video...
I replaced the video card with what was a "used known working" (Nvidia A386 rev A01) from ebay.
Still no video.

On pressing test switch LEDS show....

EFI = ON
Power = ON
GPU = OFF

Overtemps
CPUA = OFF
CPUB = OFF

FAIL
CPUA = OFF
CPUB = OFF

TRICKLE = ON

SLEEP = no led missing

I have tried placing video card in other slots to see if power in different slot.
No video.
on Removing video card, heatsink feels warm, so maybe getting power.

I have started mac as target drive to remove files.
I have also booted Mac to OS as I can hear volume chirp go up and down while using keyboard. I can also eject DVD/CD using keyboard.

I have also tried booting with ASD 35108.

Questions are:

1.Is it possible that I purchased an incorrect video card or faulty one?? possible.
2.Is it possible to test power supply to make sure i have all voltages?
3.IS it possible to test logic board to see if I have blown a SM fuse ,resistor or voltage regulator?

I have a pc RADION HD 5770
Placing in PCIE slot fan runs full speed =Still no video but boots (needs flashing for mac)

with Nvidia A386 rev A01 in slot 1 machine boots..but still no GPU.

Where should I start diagnosis.
Thanks for your help

Last edited:

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Hi

I have a mac pro A1186 emc no 2113 M43 base/3.0qx/2x512/7300gt/250/sd

It had a faulty video card that i removed and replaced a blown capacitor.
the video card worked for a while..so being confident caps were going bad removed the others and replaced.
Then as i replaced card..pop!!! I think i had a short on the card...

A "blown capacitor" on the motherboard? And then another one some time after? And you soldered on your motherboard? And how on Earth can one "short" out the video card?

Sounds to me like you now have a very nice door-stop. Maybe make a lamp out of it or something. I don't think it's worth buying replacement parts for unless you can find some exceptional deals. With the prices I typically see you can replace the entire machine for about the same as just the main-board alone. And at that point why not go for something newer and faster for just a little extra?

studiopaul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2013
let me be clear...
the original video card, had a swollen (blown capacitor)
This is where the repair took place.
Later I had the same problem and decided to repair replace all the old dried capacitors...this is how i shorted out video card...more likely blowing motherboard.

I hope this is clear

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
K, I see. And of course I come to the same conclusion that way too.

The good news is that there's no cat living in your machine. Always something to be thankful for!

studiopaul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2013
however I would like to find the fault and repair.
at least know if its PSU or motherboard and confirm.
I have set up a network on this computer..is there any way to remote login and switch on screen share?

Last edited:

studiopaul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2013
power mac no video

wheres the bang head face!!!!

Yes this is the card!! was sold as pcie for Mac pro...duuoooohhh!

Ok so let me get this straight..Mac has a G5 PCIE graphic slot.
I just checked my Power MAC G5 A1047 emc1969c
card does not fit..so assume there is an in between model.

I purchased a video card, one from apple when this machine was fully working (with failing original card)..i forget the model..it was the one they issued as an upgrade with the white exhaust fan.
Plug and play they said...this one did not work...hence my original repair to the failing card.

any suggested known good, correct replacements? with exact model numbers and correct flash firmware?

Wondering if anyone has had good experience at flashing one of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nvidia-Quad...343?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item3f25424797
thanks again

Last edited:

studiopaul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2013
Ok so im trying to find known achieved flashing of RADION HD 5770

I do not have a PC..so are there any way to load a boot code CD/DVD to flash this card?

Anyone ever try this?

I found this:

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php?topic=692.0

anyone??? Bueller?? Bueller?? lol

On inspection I have a missing power cable to the radeon HD 5770
I will try purchase in next few days.
Anyone know if this card will boot or if needs to be flashed?
Thanks again

Last edited:

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
5770 will work unflashed if you have 10.6.4 or higher installed. Power cable is necessary ofc. You can upgrade OS in target disk mode if necessary, using another Mac.
If your MP boots without graphics card, it seems that logic board and PSU are OK.

studiopaul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2013
Thanks 666... so i assume i can do a fresh drive install from dvd with 10.6.4 it will auto configure? :eek:
got power cable...something tells me 10.6.8 is installed..so this could be bad ????

Last edited:

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Thanks 666... so i assume i can do a fresh drive install from dvd with 10.6.4 it will auto configure? :eek:
got power cable...something tells me 10.6.8 is installed..so this could be bad ????

The restore discs for a 5,1 is a special build of 10.6.4. It looks like you have a 1,1, so you would need to install 10.6.0/10.6.3 and use the combo update to get to 10.6.4+. If you have 10.6.8, there is no reason it should not work in regards to the OS version.

studiopaul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2013
thinking dead pcie buss
i need to find a known working vid card to check motherboard.

studiopaul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2013
Looks like freedos wont boot in this machine.
it eventually ejects the disc when holding down C..
tried disc in laptop and boots to dos....blown pcie buss?

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
how would anyone know?

you have way too many unknown variables

you need a functional EFI card for that machine.

Even flashed a 5770 would only show boot screen on VGA

studiopaul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2013
Do you have a suggested known working model,,,7300GT?
Is there a way to purchase with correct known model and serial number in order to purchase with correct EFI?

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Unflashed 5770 should at least give VESA screen if booted from DOS disk.
Some people are having problems with Freedos, IDK why, I'm always using WinMe boot disc.

Try this way:
– ensure that you have 10.6.8 installed on MP – try target disk mode if you have another Mac
– if you have a PC, test 5770 in it, if it's OK, proceed to the next step
– DL WinMe bootdisk.iso from:http://www.allbootdisks.com/download/iso.html and burn it on CD
– reset SMC in MP, PRAM too (it will clear default boot drive set in NVRAM)
– install the 5770 in MP and don't forget to plug PCIe cable in
– try to boot from WinMe CD
Try slot 3 as well if it won't work in slot 1.
If you'll get video, you can think about flashing the card.

studiopaul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2013
ok will give a try...how do i get info on os in target mode...also whilst in target are there anyway to switch monitor share on...or if this possible via network setup?

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
ok will give a try...how do i get info on os in target mode...

With ease :) In two ways (with MP in TDM):
a) boot second Mac normally then go to Sys Prefs/Startup Disk and check available boot volumes (OS version will be listed with volume name)
b) boot your second Mac from MP's HDD (alt/option to select boot drive) if possible. If your second Mac is too new for OS version installed on MP HDD, this method won't work

also whilst in target are there anyway to switch monitor share on...or if this possible via network setup?

If you'll be able to use option b), you'll be able to turn screen sharing on.
There is also another, "network" way: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3242845?start=0&tstart=0

studiopaul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2013
Looks like my old G5 will not show as a possible boot in both methods.
I assume too old as a boot option.

I will now try the different DOS options you suggest and moving video card into different slots..

And once again thanks for the help

studiopaul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2013
so tried to check drive (target disk mode) on Macbook and it indeed shows as 10.6.8

I tried moving graphic card to other slots..(remember this video card takes up the space of 2 cards). on boot freedos.. still blank screen.

Should i proceed to try other dos programs or assume mother board at this point as we now know i have 10.6.8 installed....???

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
To me, it sounds like you just need a new video card. I don't know how you came to the conclusion that a blown capacitor on your video card could lead to a dead motherboard. That's like saying you cut your finger, so you will get a brain tumor.

Stop trying to mess around with unsupported video cards to reduce the number of things that can go wrong. Just get a video card meant for Mac Pro 1,1 (aka 2006 Mac Pro) and you should be fine.

Things to remember:

1. You have a Mac Pro 1,1. Those need video cards with EFI32 firmware.
2. Video cards with EFI64 firmware will not work for you.
3. Video cards for G5s will not work for you.
4. You can't use your G5 to flash a PC video card to be compatible with your Mac Pro. (At least I've never heard of it being done.)
5. Your G5 will not boot off of your Mac Pro in Target Disk Mode.

studiopaul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2013
Ok , if you didnt read all the post..i will explain once more.

I had the original video card fault.. it showed a swollen or dry capacitor.
I replaced with a new capacitor = card worked fine until it showed other faults.
so...i replaced all caps on this card...here's where a problem may have arisen.
On power up there was a pop..and it blew the cap one of the caps on video card...thats where the concern is for the blown motherboard comes into play...a short circuit on video card may have zapped the motherboard.

I know you can not boot from G5 mac..as the osx is not supported..i get that.
i managed purely to read the osx from an intel macbook..it shows osx 10.6.8
as advised.

now..10.6.8.. is meant to support this card..if that is the case i still have no video output.

It would be great if I could prove that the video card was operating under a dos boot..or not..in order to prove motherboard either working or failed.

At this point I may have to buy a known working video card..just to find motherboard is fried...unless someone can inform me of a way to network to this cpu and look at it from a diagnostic state ( switching on monitor share via ethernet ).

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
If your MacBook is able to run 10.6.8, boot it off of MP HDD and turn screen sharing on. See my 2 previous posts. Read carefully.

You don't need a Mac card, only known working PC one to boot DOS on MP.

Did you test 5770 in a PC? Did you buy power cable for it? What about WinMe boot disk? Did you reset SMC and PRAM?

Do it and post results instead of explain your issue over and over again ;) People are trying to help you, but you need to co-operate :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.