Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
That's odd, my slide rule tells me that 2X 1440x900 is 2880x1800....

Did you read what I wrote? I wrote that Retina has meant 1440x900 TO 2880x1800. Retina is NOT 1920x1080, if one is to go the way Apple has used Retina in the past. That was why the "?" was there. My next sentence was: Not so much.

Last edited:

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
If nothing happens with the displays of the MacBook Airs this year I'd be quite disapointed, looking at what other notebook makers have on offer when it comes to this. 1080p and IPS panel is not uncommon nowadays.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
If nothing happens with the displays of the MacBook Airs this year I'd be quite disapointed, looking at what other notebook makers have on offer when it comes to this. 1080p and IPS panel is not uncommon nowadays.

Every Mac except for the 11" MBA has a 16x10 display. 1080p is 16x9.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Another thing to consider is that starting from Haswell, Intel will now offer multiple types of integrated graphics (HD 5000, Iris 5100 and Iris Pro 5200) where they previously only offered a single solution for all Core i5/i7 notebooks, no matter the class and TDP.

The current Core i5/i7 mobile models do have very narrow variation on iGPU implementation. The base clock speed variance is huge though.

Haswell has a broader range than just the 5000.

"... Haswell's new GPUs expand the number of performance tiers to five and cover different types of devices, power envelopes, and price points just as Intel's CPU portfolio has continued to grow over the years. ...
. If past is prologue, the Intel HD Graphics 4600, 4400, and 4200 parts (as well as the server-and-workstation-oriented P4700 and P4600 parts) will likely support the same features as the 5000-series parts, but with less raw 3D performance. ..."
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...hange-how-you-feel-about-integrated-graphics/

Iris 5100 , HD5000 , and HD4600 options likely in the mobile line up. Some 4000 options didn't completely disappear since they are lower consumers of power plus cheaper to make. The execution units and features have been upgraded (4600 is faster than 4000 ) but not quite as fast as the 5000 (and up) models.

Essentially the mobile line up is becoming more like the desktop line up which always had 3000 & 2000 or 4000 & 2000 segments to it.

This info is a bit older than the recent Iris graphics annoucements but the basic framework has a pretty good chance of being accurate:

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2012/2012082101_Haswell_package_options.html

Likewise...

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2012/2012121601_Specifications_of_mobile_Haswell_CPUs.html

According to Intel's latest slides about Haswell's graphics, it seems that the iGPU that comes with the CPU the Haswell 13" rMBP will use (Iris 5100) will be more powerful that the one the Haswell MBA will use (HD 5000) by roughly 50%,

That's assuming the rMBP will pick up a Iris 5100 model and not a HD4600 one. Probably will at perhaps a slightly higher price point.
Intel is going to charge a price premium for Iris models; especially the ones with built in eRAM. The 4600 models will likely take up the price points that the old roughly equivalent 4000 based models had.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Why is a Retina display a BS marketing Gimmick if we enjoy the much better display for our kind of work? I get a smile on my face everytime I come from an iMac or "normal" MacBook Pro and open the Retina MacBook display. Mabye your eyes are worse than mine and/or you don't care about Retina in trade-off for a more stressed GPU or whatever, but for my work, I don't experience any notable performance limitation because of this, but a crisp-clean screen which makes my iMac (especially when reading small text) look like a Fisher Price toy display.

Just about your comment about "worse eyes": I actually think that when your eyesight is less good, the Retina display is extra beneficial. Even if you don't _consciously_ see the difference, it is easier to read, your eyes will not get tired as quickly, it is just more comfortable. You may not _consciously_ know why, but it is still the case.

That's similar to music compressed to 128Kbit instead of 256Kbit: You may not consciously hear the difference, but you will enjoy the better quality more. You won't know why unless you are very well trained to spot the difference, but you will still enjoy music with the better quality more.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Yes.. Not terribly annoying but it's certainly noticeable.

Not so much on cMBP, even the 13" is quite good.

What? Do you experience ANY lagging issues with the 13" cMPB? What software are you running?

I do have a 13" wMB with a X3100 integrated video card, and I hardly get any lag. You shouldn't be experiencing any lag with an HD4000.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Just about your comment about "worse eyes": I actually think that when your eyesight is less good, the Retina display is extra beneficial. Even if you don't _consciously_ see the difference, it is easier to read, your eyes will not get tired as quickly, it is just more comfortable. You may not _consciously_ know why, but it is still the case.

That's similar to music compressed to 128Kbit instead of 256Kbit: You may not consciously hear the difference, but you will enjoy the better quality more. You won't know why unless you are very well trained to spot the difference, but you will still enjoy music with the better quality more.

Although I think my eyesight is pretty good, your explanation is perfectly possible. My eyes burn significantly less after a few hours in front of the retina display than in front of a non-retina one. Of course, there are a lot of factors to consider, especially if we are even talking about different screen sizes here, but subjectively, I have the feeling that it is the "washed-out" look of of the lower resolution displays that stress my eyes more. In any case, Retina resolution (and call it what you want, we all know that "Retina" is a marketing term, but we know what it means) surely has spoiled (almost) all of us who have used it ...

Last edited:

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
What? Do you experience ANY lagging issues with the 13" cMPB? What software are you running?

I do have a 13" wMB with a X3100 integrated video card, and I hardly get any lag. You shouldn't be experiencing any lag with an HD4000.

I mean I don't have any lagging issues on cMBP under normal situation. Opening iTunes, Safari and the like. Light computing really

While with rMBP it's noticeably lagged with the same apps, more so when you run them side by side, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Here's another possibility by 2015 or 2016:

8", 12" and 15" iMB-R (iPad/MacBook hybrid, detachable keyboard with iOS/OSX hybrid OS)

I think a hybrid is definitely coming but I think they will simply mod the MBA into a hybrid device. That way they maintain a consumer laptop, gain a new category of device to compete with the Windows devices already offering this and they get a larger screen tablet.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I'll tell you what, give me retina + 4G LTE, and I'd get one on day one. I'm looking for something to replace my iPad mini and MacBook Pro 15 (retina). I think the Air could do it, if only it had those two options.

Bryan

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Do you experience lagging issues with the rMBP?

The only place where I see still see lag on my 15" rMBP is when expanding my applications folder. I've got it in the dock and set to grid. It stutters a bit when opening it but does not when on the discrete GPU.

WissMAN

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
Lone Star state
iOS developers do. As much as Apple wants us to think they care about the Mac, it is VERY evident that they simply don't.:(:mad:

The standard MacBook Pro hasn't been updated since last WWDC 2012! The new iMac is a horrible design and has no upgradability. The Mac mini hasn't seen love in a while, and the Mac Pro is a dead chicken.

Your post sounds like there has been zero upgrades and there never will be. It sounds like you feel Apple is out of the computer business. Be patient.

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
Every Mac except for the 11" MBA has a 16x10 display. 1080p is 16x9.

Actually this is incorrect.

Both iMacs have 16:9 displays - hence why the 21.5" iMac is 1920 x 1080 pixels. 2560 x 1440 is also 16:9 on the 27" iMac. Even the 27" Cinema Display is that same 16:9 ratio.

But yes the laptops are all 16:10 except the 11" Air.

CGJay

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2011
Uh, notice where he said rMBA and not rMBP?

tumblr_lhiacfMHfh1qhrv0co1_500.png

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Wish list for new MBA: :)

1. iPad size Touch screen, keyboard folds back for tablet only mode.
2. Better Battery Life
3. Runs IOS and OSX apps
4. Built in LTE

"Tablet mode" in any form on the MBA would make it bigger or heavier than if the left it solely as a fully capable computer. That is the goal...a fully functional computer (Windows or OSX).

----------

....We are a hard to please lot, aren't we. It's all Steve's fault.....

That is so true! A very insightful statement (complimentary to SJ. What a legacy! You must admit that, even if you prefer Android)

greenteapanda

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2006
I've always wondered about big bezels for laptops. It's shouldn't be science fiction to basically eliminate the bezel, and make it a true edge to edge screen. The bezel on the 11.6'' MBA is particularly awful.

It seems to be the fault of the built-in webcam. Back in the days of the Titanium Powerbook, Apple's bezel was much more narrow. When they went Aluminium and added the "iSight" camera, Apple seemed to lose touch with that aspect of the design.

I have always wondered why they haven't been able to return to such a bezel even with all the improvements in technology since then. I've seen Sony laptops that are able to do it, so Apple should be able to, but they don't. The current 13" cMBP is barely smaller than the 15" Titanium Powerbook was because of the bezel issue.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

I couldn't agree more!

I bought my current 11" MBA in 2010. It has a nice display but is in no where near what one can see on other laptops. Apple is known for 'leading the pack' when it comes to using top of the line displays. Not offering anything new now (three years later) ought to be embarrassing to Apple

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.