Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
The point here is the father is now trying to shift his liability for the $$$ over to the credit card company by claiming his credit card was used fraudulently. Credit card companies don't make cardholders pay for purchases made after their card is reported stolen. As a cop he knows that. Problem is, his card wasn't "stolen" and clearly he had authorized its legitimate use on the App Store. I wonder if the whole scheme could backfire on dad somehow, for example does the Terms of Use for his credit card state that he cannot lend his card to family members, or that a family member must be 18+ to make a purchase? But I agree with the others here who say Apple needs to handle this sort of thing better, maybe with a maximum monthly purchase option (like the Playstation store) or required acknowledgments of their emailed purchase receipts before additional purchases can be made.

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
Tired of irresponsible parents and stories like these. That said, Apple could avoid all of this if they would ship phones with in-app purchases turned off or require you to acknowledge that in-app purchases are possible when you register your device.

Agreed. It would be great for Apple devices to have the option to disable in-app purchases. As for me...My kids get iTunes cards in part to avoid this from happening. And as they get these for gifts, they have to budget wisely.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Agreed. It would be great for Apple devices to have the option to disable in-app purchases. As for me...My kids get iTunes cards in part to avoid this from happening. And as they get these for gifts, they have to budget wisely.

Settings -> General -> Restrictions -> In App Purchases -> Change to "off".

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2012
North East US
The story's written a little funny but it'll make you shake your head. ...or facepalm, if you prefer.

Shouldn't the father be charged with fraud? Or at least charged with being a jerk. :rolleyes:

Not sure where the fraud would be on the father's side. And he's not really a a jerk. He's got a point here that is probably hidden in some legalese behind the case. The responsibility he shares is simply neglect by letting a 13 year old play video games. Yes, I just wrote that.

It's completely irresponsible. We don't give 13 year olds crack cocaine or alcohol. But we consider it normal that 13 year old boys spend days, weeks, years in front of screens playing this kind of stuff that is intentionally designed to create addiction. Mental and physical damage is as severe as with other drugs. Some folks never get out of this cycle and end up with all the social and other side-effects we frown upon with the above druggies and alcoholics.

And no, I don't want to ban anything - not even crack cocaine to be honest. But I want to smack all the stupid parents who allow this. In our house there is a complete ban on this *****. It horrifies me because I've witnessed good people going down that rabbit hole.

And if Mickeysoft gets sued by the EU for the inability to remove the stupid Internet Explorer than I want to see Apple pay up for the inability to remove their "Game Center" or whatever the hell it's called. Not that I'm a believer in this kind of litigation but at least that would make sense as it does actual and real damage.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Not sure where the fraud would be on the father's side.

He claimed to the credit card company that his card was used fraudulently, when he knew exactly that it was used by his son. So he was lying to the credit card company, in order to make them return the money. And that is fraud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.