Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Anatolia News Agency reports that Turkish prime minister Recep Tayyip Erdo?an visited Apple yesterday as part of a tour of Silicon Valley companies ahead of the country's move to purchase 10.6 million tablets for its schoolchildren. Erdo?an also visited Microsoft's Bay Area outpost and Google during his trip.

erdogan_apple_visit.jpg
Turkish prime minister Recep Tayyip Erdo?an (left) visits Apple
The meeting at Apple was just the latest of numerous interactions between Apple executives and Turkish government officials as Apple seeks to win the massive tablet contract. A number of Apple executives including vice president for education John Couch traveled to Turkey back in February to meet with Turkish president Abdullah Gül, while Gül had visited Apple in May 2012.

Ahead of the education tablet bid, Apple is in the midst of a significant push into the Turkish market, having launched the iTunes Store for music and movies there last December and begun hiring for future retail stores in the country.

(Thanks, Paul!)

Article Link: Turkish Prime Minister Visits Apple Ahead of Major Tablet Purchase

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Good stuff, I think I would've done better in school with tablets. I've seen some of the learning applications, and they are lots of fun to use, and educational at the same time..

macs4nw

macrumors 601

A possible big deal, indeed. (Your sarcasm duly noted.)

Just think of the overall ecosystem benefits. If APPLE can be successful with this 'Education Initiative', that would be sensational, not only for the immediate economic windfall to the company, but also as an example to education ministries in other countries, who would no doubt keep a close eye on this 'experiment', and who might follow suit.

If they can convince the Turkish government to go with them, rather than MICROSOFT or GOOGLE, and secure this 'contract', the overall long term benefits of this to APPLE, would be almost incalculable! A brilliant move!

salacious

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2011
good thing for turkish kids but the turkish president is a joke i wouldnt be surprised if he overpaid for the tablets.

Internaut

macrumors 65816

Well, it probably is a big deal for Turkey. They probably still have the fastest growing economy in the region (both Europe and the Middle East, bearing in mind they straddle both) and a fast growing high tech industry. Turkish businesses we used to make fun of for being cheap (just like Lucky Goldstar, back in the day) are increasingly well respected. It makes sense that the Turks see a strategic need to update and boost their education.

lucas107

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2008
honestly for education purposes all 3 would be the same really so they should go for whatever is cheapest and put the saved cash to other education programs. for this reason I can't see Apple getting it

toaster64

macrumors regular
May 14, 2013
Actually, it would be. It's not easy when you are always fighting the Bill and Malinda Gates Foundation (actually, just the Malinda Fund) giving away millions of WIN8 Products for free.

Maybe that's what happened to my school. Suddenly, Vista everywhere one year. >90% of the students use Macs.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
I'm quite jealous of these kids having iPads for school. I can only imagine how much better off I'd be today had iOS devices and the internet been around in my K-12 years.

SatManager

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Las Vegas
I'm quite jealous of these kids having iPads for school. I can only imagine how much better off I'd be today had iOS devices and the internet been around in my K-12 years.

I wish we had calculators when I went to school that you could afford (class of '78).

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
If they were smart, they'd wait for the rumored re-design this fall. Especially if you're buying 10.6 million of them!

Well, education sales at that scale get sold at a discount, and when the new iPad gets released I don't think there would be 10 million of 'em available to purchase like that until late next year. :)

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
honestly for education purposes all 3 would be the same really so they should go for whatever is cheapest and put the saved cash to other education programs. for this reason I can't see Apple getting it
This. Unless Turkey has some fanboys I think Google/MS are the best bets. With Google having a decent lead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.