Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Digitimes reports that Apple will soon begin trial production on its fifth-generation iPad, with full production said to be planned to begin in July. Based on that schedule, Apple could hit monthly production of 2-3 million units by September as it prepares to launch the updated version of its full-size tablet.

macrumors-ipad5d-800x600.jpg
Mockup of iPad 5 next to iPad mini and iPhone 5

As with a number of previous rumors, the report claims that the new iPad will be narrower, thinner, and lighter than the current design, taking a number of design cues from the iPad mini. As a result, Digitimes says that the new iPad will be 25-33% lighter than the current models, in line with previous claims from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.
The display of the new iPad, which will hit market shelves as early as September, will still be a 2,048 x 1,536 Retina display, the same as the one used in the 4th-generation model, except that the new display is built on a glass substrate of 0.2mm, thinner than the 0.25mm one for the 4th-generation device, the sources said, adding the new table will has a narrow bezel.

The touch panel solution for 5th-generation iPad is GF2 (1 layer of glass and two layers of ITO film) instead of G/G bonding used in 4th-generation iPad, the sources added.

The new iPad will use one LED light bar for backlighting, compared to two LED light bars used in 4th-generation iPad, the sources noted.
Kuo had previously predicted that production on the new iPad would ramp up in August or September, with shipments following soon thereafter.

Rumors of an iPad mini-like design for the next-generation iPad have been supported by leaked photos showing what was claimed to be the front bezel and cover glass for the device, as well as photos of the device's rear shell and cases said to be based on the product's design.

Previous rumors have also suggested that Apple would be able to use more efficient backlighting in the fifth-generation iPad, reducing the device's size both directly through eliminating one of the two backlight units and indirectly through allowing for a smaller battery.

Article Link: Apple to Begin Ramping Up Production of 25-33% Lighter iPad in July?

syndalis

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
Bring on the Mini 2

As nice as this all sounds, the original iPad is mostly dead to me.

the Mini is the perfect balance of form and function; bring on the next generation mini with a retina screen and comparable battery life.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm sure this has been said before, but I feel as though the bezel around the iPad is necessary. Not so much for the mini because many can palm it, but I think having it if using the iPad in portrait mode is necessary. Either way, lighter is nicer for sure.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
the iPad 5 will be the perfect upgrade from my iPad 2.
excited to know it will be narrower and thinner like the mini.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I have a 3rd gen iPad and just bought my wife an iPad Mini. I will be sitting on the sidelines for this next upgrade cycle, unfortunately. But go Apple! People are going to love this new design.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
The headline says 25%-33% lighter, but the article text says 25%-33% thinner, which one is it? They might be the same thing, but not necessarily.

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006

the Mini is the perfect balance of form and function; bring on the next generation mini with a retina screen and comparable battery life.

Seconded. Waiting for the Retina Mini. Sayonara original iPad, it was great while it lasted.

BobZap

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013
Nice

The design looks great (even if it is just a bigger mini) and the weight savings will be meaningful.

Still hopeful that this next gen is more than just this leaked design change and spec upgrade (notification/keyboard smart covers from those leaked patents anyone?)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
The headline says 25%-33% lighter, but the article text says 25%-33% thinner, which one is it? They might be the same thing, but not necessarily.

Thanks, my goof...lighter. Rumors suggest it'll be about 20% thinner, moving from 9.5 mm thick to roughly 7.5 mm in the range of the iPad mini.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
Previous rumors have also suggested that Apple would be able to use more efficient backlighting in the fifth-generation iPad, reducing the device's size both directly through eliminating one of the two backlight units and indirectly through allowing for a smaller battery.

Keep the battery size, or increase rating and allow longer times between charging. My iPad mini needs charging far more often than my iPad 3 with like for like usage.

iisdan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010
Now wait for the do they really need it, rabble rabble how dare they make it better rabble rabble

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
def a good move. i always thought the ipad full sized was to big for a tablet, especially the massive borders it had, hence why ilike the mini, but it will keep it inline with the current designs

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I've been waiting for a redesigned full size iPad for a while now. A smaller footprint on the full size iPad is a welcome change. Apple has foiled my yearly iPad update schedule :D

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
I'm sure this has been said before, but I feel as though the bezel around the iPad is necessary. Not so much for the mini because many can palm it, but I think having it if using the iPad in portrait mode is necessary. Either way, lighter is nicer for sure.

The thicker bezel was more important with a heftier device. The new, thinner, lighter model will not require so much grip.

I'm all over one of these puppies.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I swear, Apple needs Kate Moss to start selling their products. "Thin!" "Thinner!" "Lighter!" It's getting old.

Now where's my Mac Pro!!!:D

Last edited:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
This is going to make for a difficult decision.....

For what I use my mini for, the larger screen would be nice.....but I love the mini's form factor, size and weight. If this redesigned iPad gives my a light enough, small enough footprint I might be tempted to go back....

On the other hand, if they give the mini 2 a retina display.....I'm screwed and have no clue what I'll decide :p

Since I just got a new red smart cover for my current mini, I'll probably stick with the mini. I've been waiting for the Haswell MBAs as well and an Air and regular sized iPad seem a tad redundant to me.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
The glass is 0.2mm thinner than the current 0.25mm glass? So the new glass is only 0.05mm thick?

Seems like the decimal is off in one of the numbers.

jetlife2

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2004
Cincinnati, Oh
Bring it on!

This will be the time for me to jump...I am upgrading from an ipad 1 that I bought the first week it came out, April 2010. Can't believe that is only 3 years ago and here we are about to see Gen 5.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
The glass is 0.2mm thinner than the current 0.25mm glass? So the new glass is only 0.05mm thick?

Seems like the decimal is off in one of the numbers.

No, the total thinness is 0.2mm, down from the 0.25mm of the iPad 4.

I agree, the sentence is a little hard to get. I re-read it a few times.

Last edited:

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Hopefully they'll dump 16gb completely and go 32/64/128gb in the current 16/32/64gb price slots.

16gb really has no place in a 'retina' age.

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country

Thats the boat I'm in right now. I want a mini but I want a retina version. Waiting patiently

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.