Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's retail stores have been ranked as the U.S. retail chain with the highest sales per square foot for a number of years and according to a new report from Asymco's Horace Dediu, the company also outranks competitors when it comes to revenue per visitor, hitting a record high of $57.60 per visitor in the first quarter of 2013.

Apple experienced a seven percent growth in visitors during the quarter, leading to an average of $13 million in revenue per Apple Store, which is the highest it has been during a non-holiday quarter.

revenueperstore.png
During its Q2 financial results call, Apple reported a total of $43.6 billion in revenue with $5.2 billion in retail, up 19% from the previous quarter.

Apple gets an average of 250,000 visitors per store per quarter, up from approximately 170,000 visitors per quarter in 2010. In recent years, the company has been focusing on building new Apple Stores across the globe and expanding existing stores to increase available square footage. Apple plans to open 30 new retail stores in fiscal 2013 and remodel 20.

applestoreopenings.png

Article Link: Apple's Revenue Per Store Visitor Hits Record High

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Perhaps I don't get it, but I'd rather get my Apple products from the online store than to set foot in these hipster infested stores... #mysanthropy

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Perhaps I don't get it, but I'd rather get my Apple products from the online store than to set foot in these hipster infested stores... #mysanthropy

It is just like college. Some people exclaim how great living on campus is because of the "experience". Others eschew it and live without it.

To each their own, but judging by the sales numbers, a lot of people like going to the stores.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA

You may want to check the source on your signature. You know what Abe Lincoln said, "You can't trust stuff you read on the Internet." - 1861

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

I like seeing things in person before buying them, so I understand the desire to buy in store.

Often I buy at my Best Buy instead of my Apple store though, given that Best Buy is a lot closer (10 minutes away vs. 50 minutes away) and that the staff:customer ratio is generally much higher at my Best Buy than at Apple (although Apple tends to manage the crowds pretty well and move people pretty quickly.)

macFanDave

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2003
Danger! Does not compute!

Data not consistent with Wall Street narrative!

Possible sources of error:
1) Wall Street invents narrative on selective interpretation of data mixed with fantasy to drive price in desired direction.
2) Actual data in this story must be false.

The impeccable integrity of Wall Street operators under the watchful eye of the Federal Government regulators makes option 1) impossible, so 2) is the only viable option.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

That's old world thinking.

I used to buy all my Macs online. I wanted them customized and, come on, they're heavy. Why lug it to my car by myself?

But Apple's profits are shifting to iOS. I've since bought 7 iPhones, 3 iPads, and an iPod Touch in an Apple store. Why would I wait to have it shipped? It's there, just buy it!

So while the Macs I bought always used to cost more than what I spend on iPads, my personal "what I spend in the store" number has skyrocketed.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
Who are the Apple competitors that this survey cites?

It's not very surprising Apple has a high $ sale per square foot...when 90% that Apple sells is $299 and higher...probably the average Apple purchase is $800 or more.

The only Apple product under $150 is the iPod nano for $80. The only other stuff under $150 is 3rd party accessories. Not to mention that Apple has pretty popular brand these days.

I really don't see the point of this survey. It's basically stating the obvious.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
Who are the Apple competitors that this survey cites?

It's not very surprising Apple has a high $ sale per square foot...when 90% that Apple sells is $299 and higher...probably the average Apple purchase is $800 or more.

The only Apple product under $150 is the iPod nano for $80. The only other stuff under $150 is 3rd party accessories. Not to mention that Apple has pretty popular brand these days.

I really don't see the point of this survey. It's basically stating the obvious.

It's not sales per square foot, nor is it average sale either (and you seem to have confused the two). It's sales per visitor (note, not the amount spent per customer). Hope that clears up your misunderstanding.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Having expensive items to sell doesn't do it. You also have to actually _sell_ the stuff.

That's because of the overpriced Apple accessories.

As usual, lilo tries to put a negative spin on things, and again, she fails.

If Apple products were overpriced, sales wouldn't be high, they would be low. Because people don't buy overpriced things. Common sense: If it is overpriced, I don't buy it.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
I finally ended up in a city that allowed me my first Microsoft Store visit. Remarkably similar to the Apple stores (surprise!) except for one critical aspect: the number of customers roaming the space. :p

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
I finally ended up in a city that allowed me my first Microsoft Store visit. Remarkably similar to the Apple stores (surprise!) except for one critical aspect: the number of customers roaming the space. :p

Which is why Apple's high sales per visitor is even more startling.

"Expensive Apple accessories" would explain this only if visitors were forced to buy them, but of course they are not, so such an explanation is ridiculous.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
You'd think folks have something personal to gain the way they are always looking to bash the guy on top no matter how much sense the report/ survey makes or how compelling findings are. Humans can be so puzzling sometimes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.