Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Translation: We expect congress or a bunch of lawyers to take us to task for prohibiting this so we held out as long as we could - but now we're going to look like "good guys" buy opening it up. We don't really want to - we just know we have to...

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Apparently its working already for me.. Had no idea but decided to check and bingo it works. Under call history it shows how much data each call used.

A 28 second call used 984kB. I was expecting a little more, so not too bad.

caligomez

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
Friggin FINALLY! I'm tired of this constant punishment for being a customer since 2008..

(Although I'm sure they'll figure out another way to screw us..)

TheOriginalKi

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2011
Belfast
Not being in the USA I've had this for quite some time but if I'm honest I'll say I've never not once used it. Never been a fan of going on camera...

sirenized

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
im on a grandfathered unlimited plan and this has already been switched on for me. Of course i didnt know it until i saw this story and checked but there you have it.

LordJohnWhorfin

macrumors regular
May 28, 2002
I used to be grandfathered...

... until they turned on "throttling" after 2GB of data use. Their throttling was so severe that it was completely impossible to display a web page. Complaints to them, the California PUC, the FCC led nowhere so I just switched to StraightTalk. I'm getting the same *************, but at least I'm only paying $32/month for it, instead of $90 -- and that's with unlimited calling and texting, including international SMS (which AT&T still has the gall to nickel-and-dime you for). If you're still using a legacy carrier, you're getting ripped off. Straight Talk and Simple Mobile are where it's at!

bchery21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
Boston, MA
When I read this article I was left confused because I've been able to use FaceTime over LTE for months...

...maybe I just don't understand.

Technodynamic

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
I've had 3G and LTE Facetime on my unlimited plan for years. F AT&T and their "rules". I make my own. JAILBREAK fo lyfe.

fatlardo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
No if we can just have no throttling after 5gb for us unlimited people. Wonder if this will ever come true. :mad:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I've had 3G and LTE Facetime on my unlimited plan for years. F AT&T and their "rules". I make my own. JAILBREAK fo lyfe.

Thug life yo. :cool:

I cannot believe this is still a "thing." It's quite ridiculous after all this time that AT&T had such restrictions.

C

champ01

AT&T thats the provider that ****ed up the iPhone launch right? ;)

So they rip everybody off and now present this as a gift? lol

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Are they not merciful? :rolleyes:

It's going to take them well over a year to flip a switch, makes me glad competition is expanding here in the US, even by just a little.

Keithnteri

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2011
2 Little 2 Late

My contract with AT&T ends on October 7th. On October 8th I will be taking my business to a new carrier. I have had service with AT&T since the original iPhone and the service has gone down hill since then. What is unlimited about being throttled to unusable speeds and not being able to use the iPhone as intended by the manufacturer.

About time you pulled your head out of your rear AT&T but for me, I've had enough already and will be going to someone new without a contract. Hope you don't miss the $1800.00 I give you each year.

Narnett

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2013
I have an unlimited plan with AT&T and i just checked and mine is already switched on. Looks like some areas will get it ahead of others. Now just allow tethering and i will be happy.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
what? with their 500MB and 2GB plans? try to facetime over EDGE

Isn't that for their 4G speeds and then it downgrades to 3G? I thought when they were doing their upgrades they were moving bands around and getting rid of 2G to free up bands or whatever the correct terminology. Or I could be totally wrong in which case disregard everything I said... :D
/
/

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
this is because AT&T knows Apple will have Facetime a downloadable app as they will have all their default apps with iOS 7.

Thus making the above statement void.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Unlimited data user here as well with an iPhone 5. I just checked my FaceTime settings and it's already on. Turned off wi-fi and made a call and it worked fine.

Now if I could tether I wouldn't need the jailbreak for anything else since those are the 2 things I mainly use it for.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I have unlimited and I just noticed this for me Saturday and it works. I'll probably never need it again, but cool its there if I do.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I hope Apple follows up by adding "mute video" mode (audio-only) on FaceTime for iOS 7 and OS X 10.9.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.