Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
I'm running the latest version of Mountain Lion on a late '10 MBA 11" with 4 GB of RAM and an OWC Sata II 240GB SSD. I've even wiped it and started over. Mail lags horrifically. Like up to five seconds sometimes. It's like it has to catch up every now and then. I'll be typing an email, and it'll just stop for several seconds...and then the whole sentence I've been typing will appear quickly as if it's being typed. The worst part though is scrolling through mail. It takes several seconds for *any* email to appear in the pane when I click it. Any ideas? The only other app that behaves like this is Wunderlist (and it's even worse...complete lag 100% of the time as I type).

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Still no guesses?

It's getting worse now. Only seems to be with the mail app and Wunderlist.

I've never seen anything like this before on any mac I've ever owned.

-- Ryan

Last edited:

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Already done a complete wipe, and started over. Same thing. Starting to wonder if it's the OWC SSD.

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
Have you tried a different Mail provider and checked that it's not your mail account settings that are causing the delay?

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
How do I do that?

----------

I have five accounts I'm using. It seems to be the same on all of them. I appreciate the input though. :)

Good to rule it out. I used to have persistent lag when accessing both gmail and exchange accounts with large numbers of read messages remaining in the inbox - it would spend minutes hanging while it refreshed the cache and connected to the account. For gmail I restricted the IMAP messages to 1000, which is a pain when I want to find old messages, and for the exchange account I moved to Outlook, sadly.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I've 12K messages in one mailbox, and 35K in the other, and it works fine (albeit it's a little sluggish on my G5 at home). I certainly amn't seeing anything like the OP.

I was going to suggest it might be due to a drive spinning up, but obviously with an SSD that's not the case.

You could try rebuilding your mailboxes; but if it's happening across several mailboxes, that might not be it either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.