Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Devie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
So today I've come home, wake computer up (iMac in sig, 10.8.3) and it has a finder window open

Path:
HDD>private>var>tmp>

In this folder a compressed file is highlighted as follows:

sysdiagnose_2013.05.212_08-16-32-CST.tar.gz
Date last modified is today at 8:17am. I left this morning at about 8am.

Also in this folder is a "com.wd.wddmservice" and "launchd" folder which have the same modified date/time of the 14th.

Is this something I should be worried about? It really confused me as it just looks like someone has been on my computer and left this open and file highlighted. Its just very odd.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
So today I've come home, wake computer up (iMac in sig, 10.8.3) and it has a finder window open

Path:
HDD>private>var>tmp>

In this folder a compressed file is highlighted as follows:

sysdiagnose_2013.05.212_08-16-32-CST.tar.gz
Date last modified is today at 8:17am. I left this morning at about 8am.

Also in this folder is a "com.wd.wddmservice" and "launchd" folder which have the same modified date/time of the 14th.

Is this something I should be worried about? It really confused me as it just looks like someone has been on my computer and left this open and file highlighted. Its just very odd.

This could answer your question:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3310720?start=0&tstart=0

Has your Mac been out for repairs, or did you contact Apple with a problem, I know they sometimes install software to monitor performance, this might be the case here.

Devie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
This machine has never had an issue and never contacted Apple about it except for the HDD recall (which I asked for the replacement drive to be shipped to me so I can do it when it fails, which they refused and informed me they'll have to take it which would take a few days, bs)

However I input that command+control+option+shift+period key combination and popped up again.

I can only really assume that either its done it itself, or somehow one of my cats pushed that combination...

But from that, is this forwarding information onto Apple? Or is it just creating it for them to be able to read its performance?

I was mainly concerned if it was malware or something...

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
This machine has never had an issue and never contacted Apple about it except for the HDD recall (which I asked for the replacement drive to be shipped to me so I can do it when it fails, which they refused and informed me they'll have to take it which would take a few days, bs)

However I input that command+control+option+shift+period key combination and popped up again.

I can only really assume that either its done it itself, or somehow one of my cats pushed that combination...

But from that, is this forwarding information onto Apple? Or is it just creating it for them to be able to read its performance?

I was mainly concerned if it was malware or something...

I think it won't send it but I am not sure, it seems to be for diagnostic reasons.

It's not the only link I found, if you remove the date and google it you'll find more.
I am not aware of the process responsible for this and weather or not there is a way to disable it, should be possible though.
I'll try to find out more, I repost back if I found something.

Found this when I input sysdiagnose -h ijn Terminal.

sysdiagnose version: 1.2.2
USAGE: sysdiagnose [-h] [-f result_directory] [process_name | pid]
-h Display this help
-f result directory Specify the directory where results will be stored.
[process_name | pid] If a single process appears to be slowing down the system,
passing in the process name or ID as the argument gathers
addition process-specific diagnostic data.

DESCRIPTION:
sysdiagnose gathers system diagnostic information helpful in investigating system performance issues.
A great deal of information is harvested, spanning system state and configuration. The data is stored /var/tmp directory.
sysdiagnose can be triggered upon pressing a special key chord; this is currently Control-Option-Command-Shift-Period.
WHAT sysdiagnose COLLECTS:
- A spindump of the system
- Several seconds of fs_usage ouput
- Several seconds of top output
- Data about kernel zones
- Status of loaded kernel extensions
- Resident memory usage of user processes
- All system logs, kernel logs, opendirectory log, windowserver log, and log of power management events
- A System Profiler report
- All spin and crash reports
- Disk usage information
- I/O Kit registry information
- Network status
- If a specific process is supplied as an argument: a list of malloc-allocated buffers in the process's heap is collected
- If a specific process is supplied as an argument: data about unreferenced malloc buffers in the process's memory is collected
- If a specific process is supplied as an argument: data about the virtual memory regions allocated in the process

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.