Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
At least in the end, I'll know I was on the right side of history when the books are written.

There is no "right side" about what we're talking about (you're thinking about gay rights, which I agree with you on). Both sides spend too much money, promise people too much, and now have to pay for things.

"I know! Let's target the big bad Apple because they have money we can take!"

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
These dirty liberals are just drooling at the thought of getting a chunk of that 100 billion. What a shame. This isn't what our founding fathers wanted when they formed this government.
And the founding fathers would be cool with billion dollar companies moving all their jobs and profits overseas to avoid paying taxes at home to help keep their own country prosperous and employed?

JAQ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Purgatory MI
Naturally the Apple sycophants are attacking Levin already, just on principle. But Carl Levin – while I sometimes disagree with him – has been a sincere advocate for the interests of the American people for many years, and deserves to have his questions answered.

Incorporating in a country that only taxes you if you operate there, while operating in a country that only taxes you if you incorporate there, is the kind of tax loophole that fiscal conservatives (the real kind, not the tea-bag kind) have railed against for decades. Any multinational corporation should have to justify that, regardless of whether they make cool gadgets that we love.

SamGabbay

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I'm waiting for the senate to ask the hard questions like...

What will iOS 7 look like?
Are you working on a TV, and when will it be out?
How about this "iRadio", will it be ready for showing at WWDC 2013?

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
And the founding fathers would be cool with billion dollar companies moving all their jobs and profits overseas to avoid paying taxes at home to help keep their own country prosperous and employed?

They also didn't expect unions to overstay their welcome, forcing jobs overseas.

I'm sorry, if I can do the work for less overseas, you're darn right I will do it.

----------

I'm waiting for the senate to ask the hard questions like...

What will iOS 7 look like?
Are you working on a TV, and when will it be out?
How about this "iRadio", will it be ready for showing at WWDC 2013?

"Remember now, Tim: You're under oath."

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Ok, so Apple isn't doing anything illegal. Neither is the government. Just sayin', since it's such a focus on legal and illegal here! How about letting some ****ing moral lead the way instead. Why do everyone have to be an ass in this world, as long as the law allows it?

I don't disagree with you, however, this is a waste of time that will, ultimately, do nothing.

These lawmakers should be focusing on fixing the law, not vilifying people and or companies from taking advantage of the laws that they put in place.

Also, think about the level of hypocrisy here. All these politicians do is spend, spend, spend. How about cleaning up your own house, first? How about not enacting laws that are "for the good of every American*" that they exempt themselves from?

Apple is a little fish in the problems facing this country.

Prioritize.

As I have quoted before, and likely will again, Walt Disney once said, "The way to get started is to stop talking and start doing."

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
While I appreciate the constant mentioning of the "loopholes need to be fixed" it is hard to consider that this hearing is anything but posturing by the government. If they truly meant this, why only Apple here? Why haven't they called all of these huge companies in to discuss this matter? Where are the companies that are large contributors to their political parties and power?

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
While I appreciate the constant mentioning of the "loopholes need to be fixed" it is hard to consider that this hearing is anything but posturing by the government. If they truly meant this, why only Apple here? Why haven't they called all of these huge companies in to discuss this matter? Where are the companies that are large contributors to their political parties and power?

Because companies such as GE and GM are in bed with the government, so we don't need to round them up for questioning.

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2006
I have a dream of a world in which people who disagree can have an intelligent discussion instead of just calling each other "dirty" or referencing sexual acts.

EDIT: Or slurring religions. Why is it that politics turns people into the worst versions of themselves?

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Go Rand Paul!!

Woo Hoo! "Instead of dragging in Apple executives, we should have brought in a mirror, to look at those responsible for this terrible tax code"

Porshuh944turbo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2003
"This committee will admit that Apple has not broken any laws, yet here we are at this show trial just for politicians..."

Get 'em Rand!

Attachments

• rand paul apple.png
    rand paul apple.png
    107.8 KB · Views: 149
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.