Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

vimeoflickr2.jpg
Apple has been making efforts to offer deep social network integration in its mobile operating system, first offering Twitter integration in iOS 5 and then Facebook integration in iOS 6. According to 9to5Mac, Apple will expand its social network integration even further with iOS 7, including support for both photo sharing site Flickr and video sharing site Vimeo.

As with Facebook and Twitter integration, Vimeo and Flickr integration will allow users to be able to sign in to the social networks in the Settings menu. Those one-time sign-in credentials will be usable across iOS, providing comprehensive sharing options and easy integration with other downloaded apps.
With Flickr integration, iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch customers will have the ability to share photos stored and/or taken on their devices to Flickr with a single tap from the system-wide share menu. Flickr has been integrated into the paid iPhoto iOS App Store app and OS X Mountain Lion since 2012, but iOS 7 will represent the first time in which the photo sharing service has been integrated deeply into the entire iOS operating system.
Flickr is a logical addition to iOS given Apple's existing relationship with Yahoo, and popular video hosting site Vimeo is also a logical choice for iOS 7 as Apple continues to move away from Google products. Apple stopped offering YouTube as a stock iOS app with iOS 6 and also introduced its own mapping app, discontinuing its use of Google Maps.

While Apple continues to allow direct video uploads to YouTube from its camera app, Vimeo integration will give iOS 7 users an additional option for video uploads. As with Yahoo, Apple has an existing relationship with Vimeo, having offered integration with the service in OS X Mountain Lion.

As noted by 9to5Mac's unnamed source, though Flickr and Vimeo integration is currently in the works, as with all beta software, there is a risk that it could be removed before the public release of iOS 7.

Apple's upcoming operating system is expected to feature a "flatter" design to modernize the look of iOS 7 while removing many of the skeuomorphic design elements that were introduced with iOS 6. Apple is expected to debut iOS 7 at its upcoming Worldwide Developers Conference in June with a release to follow in the fall, and MacRumors has noted a surge in traffic from devices running iOS 7 suggesting that a preview is imminent.

Article Link: Apple to Expand Social Network Integration in iOS 7 with Support for Flickr and Vimeo

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Awesome. Prefer Vimeo for video quality anyway and the revamped Flickr with 1TB of storage means i'm likely going to revive my account...even moreso with iOS integration.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Apple dropping support for Google Maps and YouTube was the best thing to happen to those two apps. They're wayyyy better now.

What else can they drop support for?

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Wow, I actually wrote Apple feedback a while ago (after iOS 6) asking for Vimeo support. I said exactly the same; that it was a logical choice and fits well with Apple's demographic and positioning as a premium and classy platform. I feel like someone there listened! :) I really love Vimeo...so much better than YouTube.

I wonder if Apple will build their own Vimeo app to go on the home screen to fill the position left vacant by the departed YouTube app. The official Vimeo one isn't that great...

JoeyCloverfield

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
Why doesn't Apple just create a services API that allows any service to create a deeper integration with iDevices. This way Apple's not responsible for integrating such services, the services are.

CubusX

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
Finally!

My iPhone will do even more pointless and useless junk that I will never, ever use...

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

Vimeo is to Youtube as Thunderbolt is to USB 3.0 or Firewire is to USB 2.0...sure it may be better in some ways but nobody uses it

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
all the artsy stuff is on vimeo, whereas youtube accommodates everything else

I don't see a problem with that. :) If you want to watch cat videos or home movies of people being stupid you can still access the website or download the YouTube app.

Or you could check out some amazing free content on Vimeo and feel enriched.

Yeah it's not a complete replacement as there's much more content on YouTube, but the service and quality of videos is much better on Vimeo. If Apple adds a way to easily publish iMovies to Vimeo I think the amount of content their will grow enormously.

----------

Bleh, even more "social networking" - not impressed, at all :-(

The one I'm not impressed about is FaceBook, can't stand it. I don't see a problem with Vimeo.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
Bleh, even more "social networking" - not impressed, at all :-(

Flickr is as "social" as you want it to be. I use it a way to upload my photos at full image quality and then reference in other places... or use it as an easy-to-find/share online photography portfolio. I do very little socializing within the community.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
More social networking CRAP? If that's all Ive can come up with in terms of innovation, I will be really worried indeed...

Hmm...I'm pretty sure Craig Federighi is responsible for this. He owns iOS. And this isn't really a UI/UX type thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.