Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by Gizmodo, iLoveHandles has launched a new Trunk Lightning charging cable for the iPhone 5, offering an innovative posable design that allows the short cable to also serve as a stand for the device.
trunk_cable_1.jpg
Unlike the short, flaccid charging cables on the market, you can bend Trunk vertical to charge on the wall, bend it the other way and use GPS in the car, or straighten it out and put it in a pocket when you're on the move.

Why do you need all that cord? With Trunk, there is no wrapping, no tangling -- no mess.
trunk_cable_2.jpg
Trunk is available through the iLoveHandles online store for $19.95.

Article Link: 'Trunk' Posable Lightning Cable Doubles as iPhone Stand

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Seems like it doesn't have enough support to ensure that my $750 device doesn't crash into the center console when I hit a bumpy road...

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Interesting, but I'm not sure if I'd mount it in my car the way the picture shows. Looks like a lot of strain on the lighting receptor. Plus if you're poking at the screen in GPS mode, is it sturdy enough?

onirocdarb

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2013
This would be awesome for a car gps like in the picture. I would imagine after a while this would wreck the lighting port, though.

b35773

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
This is a cool idea but an impossible design concept - it creates dangerous tension points that will strain the lighting port, the USB and lightning connectors, the adapter, and the electrical socket unnecessarily.

Gravity likes its cables flaccid.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
At 19.99 price not to bad might want to check it out. I own other products made by them and have been pleased. I own the rubberband and they messed up my order and gave me a free one in addition to the one I ordered. Very cool that they took care of my issue and gave me free product.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Man, looks like a great idea for the car, but don't see this holding up. Who actually has a lighter/usb socket right there in the car? Mine if vertical on the dash and there is no way I would trust this keeping my phone plugged in.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
My iPad mini lighting connector is already "wobbly," and that's just from charging it each night. I would never attempt to use this for my iPhone in my car, as pictured. Just the stress on the connector from the weight of the phone, let alone pushing on it. If they had a snap-on adapter that could hug the bottom of the phone, then maybe.

TurnTronics

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
This is a cool idea but an impossible design concept - it creates dangerous tension points that will strain the lighting port, the USB and lightning connectors, the adapter, and the electrical socket unnecessarily.

I agree. Not sure if I would want to risk damaging the lightning port on my iPhone 5. Cool concept, but would like to see how it holds up with everyday use.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I'd like this for my car but it would have to be a longer cable. My cigarette lighter is on the very bottom right of my console so my iPhone would essentially be right behind my gear stick. Maybe one of those metal bendable cords that they use in bendable desk lamps would work.

Also I would like to have a wider base and an actual cradle to hold the back for extra support so that the lightning connector doesn't snap off.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
So my cable would no longer be short and flaccid?

And would be replaced by a trunk that can bend to become vertical?

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Well.....

seems to me as a useful and well designed product. Definitely, I am interested and would buy it.

:):apple:

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
I think I'm going to give it a try in my car.
My cig lighter is at an angle so I could help support the backward leaning weight against the dash.
I think everyone is a little too hyper about the dock connector not being able to support any weight. It's pretty sturdy. I already have a dock at home for my iPhone5 and the bulk of the weight is on the lightning plug.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
This is a cool idea but an impossible design concept - it creates dangerous tension points that will strain the lighting port, the USB and lightning connectors, the adapter, and the electrical socket unnecessarily....

First thing(s) that came into my mind too.

----------

...If they had a snap-on adapter that could hug the bottom of the phone, then maybe.

Second thing that came into my mind.

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011

Agreed, the home suggestion works for a straight linear load through the vertical plane on to the cable but as soon as you try to angle the device you are creating a significant force as the phone will try to pivot off the top of the cable...

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
The iPhone has been out for 6 years now and there is still no full car integration as in a docking station that is on the console and fully integrated robustly. I think cars need to come with an iPhone or iPad mini size enclosure on the console.

jcm212

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
Interesting, but I'm not sure if I'd mount it in my car the way the picture shows. Looks like a lot of strain on the lighting receptor. Plus if you're poking at the screen in GPS mode, is it sturdy enough?

it's lightning...

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
Give the product a chance. No one here has seen and played with it yet, it might be sturdier in r/l.

javco

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
Mexico

I agree. I think it should have some kind of stand for additional support. I guess that using it constantly can damage the connector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.