Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
Disclaimer: My apologies for what is most likely the umpteenth redundant what to do iPad Mini thread and thanks in advance for your responses.

I have an iPad 2 that has been taken over by my 5 and 3 year olds.

Also have an iP5 and a 13" 2012 MBA. However you can't read iBooks on a non-iOS device. Added to which I want an LTE iPad next time around. Our iPad 2 is WiFi only.

I really like the weight difference of the Mini to the 4.
Of course the new 5 is rumored to have the narrow bezels and be lighter, but still not Mini light. And like most I really want a Mini with Retina as the iP4 and iP5 have spoiled me there.

1) how is iBooks reading on a Mini? Both resolution and screen size. I've read on my iPad 2 and iP5 (while the text is sharp on the iPhone, it is just too little real estate).

2) do you think it is worth getting a Mini v.1 this late in the game vs. waiting on the Retina whenever that may be knowing that I can probably sell the Mini and upgrade at not much of a loss.

3) what will be the better device in your opinion. A slightly lighter narrower bezel iPad 5 or a Retina Mini 2? Weight vs screen...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I've used the mini fairly extensively recently. There is obviously a difference between my iPad 3 and the mini in terms of sharpness but it did not bother me at all. It was not even close to being unreasonably unreadable. If the size is what you're looking for, it's a very decent tradeoff to me.

Buying now is a gamble. The biggest rib would indeed be buying a mini today and finding that they released a retina version. If the next version isn't retina then of course, some of the late adopters would probably be pleased. Again, it's a gamble and if retina is really of importance, your best bet would be to wait until at least after WWDC.

To me, I would choose a retina mini over an iPad 5 with the rumored smaller bezel and don't get me started on the lack of ability to read iBooks on my Mac.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
'''
1) how is iBooks reading on a Mini? Both resolution and screen size. I've read on my iPad 2 and iP5 (while the text is sharp on the iPhone, it is just too little real estate).

2) do you think it is worth getting a Mini v.1 this late in the game vs. waiting on the Retina whenever that may be knowing that I can probably sell the Mini and upgrade at not much of a loss.
Reading books is fine on an iPad mini You could go to an Apple store and play with one there.

As for buying now vs waiting. I think you will be waiting until around October if you decide to wait. It's your call on if you want to wait.

... and don't get me started on the lack of ability to read iBooks on my Mac.
Please provide feedback to Apple requesting an iBooks for OS X. And explain why you want it. Maybe if they get enough feedback, they'll do something about it.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
I've used the mini fairly extensively recently. There is obviously a difference between my iPad 3 and the mini in terms of sharpness but it did not bother me at all. It was not even close to being unreasonably unreadable. If the size is what you're looking for, it's a very decent tradeoff to me.

Buying now is a gamble. The biggest rib would indeed be buying a mini today and finding that they released a retina version. If the next version isn't retina then of course, some of the late adopters would probably be pleased. Again, it's a gamble and if retina is really of importance, your best bet would be to wait until at least after WWDC.

To me, I would choose a retina mini over an iPad 5 with the rumored smaller bezel and don't get me started on the lack of ability to read iBooks on my Mac.

I've held the Mini and it feels so light compared to the regular iPad. I really like that. One-handed you notice the weight of the iPad after awhile. I like the smaller form factor. I also go naked, no case, just a clear skin on the back. So that keeps weight down. (We've gotten a tough rubber case for the iPad 2 simce the kids use it). As for the remorse. I wouldn't expect anything as early as WWDC. But I am traveling June 21st and would like it by then so I can wait for the keynote.

I think even if the Retina shows up in late September or October, I can sell and upgrade for not too much loss. I did that iPad 1 to 2.

Yes unfortunately the DRM on iBooks can't be taken out with iTunes 11. Requiem stopped working is what I've read. Never used it before. Otherwise I would take my Air with me and wait.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

If multi-platform flexibility is important then just buy Kindle books. Half my purchases are Kindle and half iBooks. There's no law that requires you to buy iBooks.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If multi-platform flexibility is important then just buy Kindle books. Half my purchases are Kindle and half iBooks. There's no law that requires you to buy iBooks.

No ****? I'm well aware. I'm simply saying that I don't think there is any solid reason why Apple should restrict this function. There's no law that requires you to make random assumptions.

Please provide feedback to Apple requesting an iBooks for OS X. And explain why you want it. Maybe if they get enough feedback, they'll do something about it.
I've done that, not to worry.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
No ****? I'm well aware. I'm simply saying that I don't think there is any solid reason why Apple should restrict this function. There's no law that requires you to make random assumptions.

I've done that, not to worry.

You're apparently from the wrong side of the tracks AND the wrong side of the bed.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I like reading books on my mini -- it is the only function where, in my opinion, the mini performs as well as the full-sized iPad, and where the lightness of the mini really makes up for the loss of screen size.

Sure, text is a little sharper on the retina screen, but when I get really into reading a good book, I don't notice the difference any more. And since text size can be adjusted, I just adjust the text until it's comfortable to read.

As for buying books, I buy from Amazon, break the DRM, convert to ePub, then read them in iBooks. I know, a lot of steps for reading a book, but I prefer the iBooks interface to Kindle for iOS. Oh, and a de-DRMed ePub file can be read on any device, including PCs and Macs. If books bought from iBooks store could reliably be de-DRMed, I'd probably buy from iBooks, but that keeps breaking, so...

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
I like reading books on my mini -- it is the only function where, in my opinion, the mini performs as well as the full-sized iPad, and where the lightness of the mini really makes up for the loss of screen size.

Sure, text is a little sharper on the retina screen, but when I get really into reading a good book, I don't notice the difference any more. And since text size can be adjusted, I just adjust the text until it's comfortable to read.

As for buying books, I buy from Amazon, break the DRM, convert to ePub, then read them in iBooks. I know, a lot of steps for reading a book, but I prefer the iBooks interface to Kindle for iOS. Oh, and a de-DRMed ePub file can be read on any device, including PCs and Macs. If books bought from iBooks store could reliably be de-DRMed, I'd probably buy from iBooks, but that keeps breaking, so...

Unfortunately my current books are all iTunes and not Amazon and so I can't go that route.

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You're apparently from the wrong side of the tracks AND the wrong side of the bed.
Is there a right side of a bed? :p
(snip)

Is the only way to break the DRM on Amazon books via Calibre?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
No one can forecast with what specs and when the newer models will be released.

Therefore the usual recommendation, buy it and try it. If you feel comfortable with it, then keep it. I GUARANTEE you will get your bang for buck paid before the next models are released. A double bonus besides, no risk for trying with the money back return period.

Last edited:

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

3) what will be the better device in your opinion. A slightly lighter narrower bezel iPad 5 or a Retina Mini 2? Weight vs screen...

1) I think iBooks look really good on my iPad Mini. I read a lot on mine and haven't had any problems or complaints, the text is sharp enough for me.

2) I think it's worth it, if a retina version comes out soon just sell it and get the iPad Mini 2 like you said.

3) Coming from someone who has the current Mini, I would definitely go for the iPad 5 the next time around. I have no problems with my iPad Mini, but wouldn't mind having a bigger screen. Weight isn't much of an issue for me seeing as I would hardly be able to notice an iPad Mini vs. a regular iPad in my backpack.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
1) I think iBooks look really good on my iPad Mini. I read a lot on mine and haven't had any problems or complaints, the text is sharp enough for me.

2) I think it's worth it, if a retina version comes out soon just sell it and get the iPad Mini 2 like you said.

3) Coming from someone who has the current Mini, I would definitely go for the iPad 5 the next time around. I have no problems with my iPad Mini, but wouldn't mind having a bigger screen. Weight isn't much of an issue for me seeing as I would hardly be able to notice an iPad Mini vs. a regular iPad in my backpack.

TyPod, coming from a current owner, I appreciate your feedback. The only thing I would say is that the weight factor is for holding it in one hand comfortably, etc and not for carry weight in a pack or anything. I will wait for WWDC though I would be shocked to see anything iPad that week and probably pick one up between the 15th and 20th. When the 5 comes out I can consider 5 vs Retina Mini if indeed it goes Retina in the next iteration. That will also give me plenty of time with it to gauge how I like the smaller screen for most tasks.

I am considering one of the Logitech BT Keyboards, though I would use that as an airline or desk stand, for typing obviously, but because it attaches magnetically (unlike the Zagg version) I would not have it on for in hand and around the house use.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Is the only way to break the DRM on Amazon books via Calibre?

I'm using a method that doesn't involve Calibre, though it may have required an older version of Kindle for PC. I can post a link to where I get my de-DRM info when I get home, if you're interested.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
TyPod, coming from a current owner, I appreciate your feedback. The only thing I would say is that the weight factor is for holding it in one hand comfortably, etc and not for carry weight in a pack or anything. I will wait for WWDC though I would be shocked to see anything iPad that week and probably pick one up between the 15th and 20th.

Ahh gotcha, I suppose the iPad vs. iPad Mini weight would be significant in that regard.

I would be shocked as well to see a new iPad released at WWDC, but the unlikely can sometimes happen!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm using a method that doesn't involve Calibre, though it may have required an older version of Kindle for PC. I can post a link to where I get my de-DRM info when I get home, if you're interested.

I am, but I don't use a PC. Also, I'm not entirely sure MR molderaators will appreciate the public linkage to strip something of it's DRM. I don't want you to get into trouble. That's my job around here. :D

Thank you though.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I am, but I don't use a PC. Also, I'm not entirely sure MR molderaators will appreciate the public linkage to strip something of it's DRM. I don't want you to get into trouble. That's my job around here. :D

Thank you though.

Okay, well, you could always google something like "remove drm from kindle/ebooks" and find info that way. It's how I originally found my sources. ;)

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Disclaimer: My apologies for what is most likely the umpteenth redundant what to do iPad Mini thread and thanks in advance for your responses.

I have an iPad 2 that has been taken over by my 5 and 3 year olds.

Also have an iP5 and a 13" 2012 MBA. However you can't read iBooks on a non-iOS device. Added to which I want an LTE iPad next time around. Our iPad 2 is WiFi only.

I really like the weight difference of the Mini to the 4.
Of course the new 5 is rumored to have the narrow bezels and be lighter, but still not Mini light. And like most I really want a Mini with Retina as the iP4 and iP5 have spoiled me there.

1. I've read many long books on my Mini. 500+ (real life) pages and the like. Resolution could be better (retina) but it doesn't bother me since it's still a great display with clear resolution and adequate size.
2. Personally, right now I would wait if I didn't already have one unless there is a reason for it in the short term like going away for business, vacation, etc.
3. I like the Mini as is. A lighter iPad 5 still won't be comparable to a retina Mini. Apple would never be this dumb to make two devices with similar weight and screen size. That is something Samsung loves to do. Make a gigantic 6-7" phone and 7-8" small tablet and barely anything to differentiate the two.

As for the informal Amazon vs iBooks debate going on, I prefer iBooks because I would never read books (actual lengthy 300+ page books, not novellas, short stories, etc.) on my computer (laptop or desktop). So the ability to read on the computer is moot for me. I think iBooks has a nicer, elegant, clean and uncluttered UI that's better suited for reading. But that's my personal opinion and preferences. Amazon eBooks have less DRM (if that's the right phrase) and can be read anywhere (via browser too I think) so it's flexible. Prices are usually the same or similar, at least for mainstream books like Dan Brown's Inferno.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
As for the informal Amazon vs iBooks debate going on, I prefer iBooks because I would never read books (actual lengthy 300+ page books, not novellas, short stories, etc.) on my computer (laptop or desktop). So the ability to read on the computer is moot for me.

Good point. I also rarely read ebooks at my computer, reading books is definitely a much better experience on a tablet device. That said, every once in a while, I find myself with a few extra minutes at work, and it's nice to be able to open up a ebook on my computer and read a few pages.

I think iBooks has a nicer, elegant, clean and uncluttered UI that's better suited for reading. But that's my personal opinion and preferences.

That's how I feel, too.

Amazon eBooks have less DRM (if that's the right phrase) and can be read anywhere (via browser too I think) so it's flexible.

It's not that Amazon has less DRM, they just make more ereader apps/programs for different platforms. As other posters have pointed out, books with iBooks DRM can only be read on iOS devices. The problem will be solved if Apple made iBooks app for Android, Windows, Mac OS X, an online iBooks reader for use in browsers, etc.

The annoying thing about iBooks is that the format it uses, epub, is a widely used format that many other ebooks readers can handle. If you download a non-DRM book from iBooks (many of the free books don't have DRM, but I've found a few paid ones that didn't have DRM also), you can read them on a Nook, for instance. That kind of flexibility really is great. Books from Amazon, on the other hand, uses an Amazon-only format, so you have to remove the DRM *AND* convert them to epub before you can use them in other ereaders.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Good point. I also rarely read ebooks at my computer, reading books is definitely a much better experience on a tablet device. That said, every once in a while, I find myself with a few extra minutes at work, and it's nice to be able to open up a ebook on my computer and read a few pages.

Agreed. It's really up to the OP (or you).

It's not that Amazon has less DRM, they just make more ereader apps/programs for different platforms. As other posters have pointed out, books with iBooks DRM can only be read on iOS devices. The problem will be solved if Apple made iBooks app for Android, Windows, Mac OS X, an online iBooks reader for use in browsers, etc.

The annoying thing about iBooks is that the format it uses, epub, is a widely used format that many other ebooks readers can handle. If you download a non-DRM book from iBooks (many of the free books don't have DRM, but I've found a few paid ones that didn't have DRM also), you can read them on a Nook, for instance. That kind of flexibility really is great. Books from Amazon, on the other hand, uses an Amazon-only format, so you have to remove the DRM *AND* convert them to epub before you can use them in other ereaders.

What I meant by "less DRM" was essentially what you elaborated on. Some posts have already pointed out that Amazon's DRM can be removed more easily than iBooks' DRM. DRM limits your access to the content. And fewer/more platforms/methods/OS/apps/etc. to access that content is somewhat loosely part of that definition.

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
I'm not entirely sure MR molderaators will appreciate the public linkage to strip something of it's DRM.

It's OK for someone to post a URL to help others remove the DRM, as long as the user who posted said content does not intend to help people become involved in piracy.

I just asked maflynn to post his opinion on whether what the activity you're referring to would be against the forum rules.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Discussion of DRM is permitted, but links, and methods on removing DRM are not permitted here at MacRumors.

~Mike

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It's OK for someone to post a URL to help others remove the DRM, as long as the user who posted said content does not intend to help people become involved in piracy.

I just asked maflynn to post his opinion on whether what the activity you're referring to would be against the forum rules.
Inconsistency suggests that it is best to stay away from certain things all together. I've learned that in my old age. ;)

Okay, well, you could always google something like "remove drm from kindle/ebooks" and find info that way. It's how I originally found my sources. ;)

Yup, I figured as much. :) Thank you.

turbotoes

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
France
I've got an ipad 3 and a mini, I almost always (99.9999%) read on the mini. I can hold it one handed in bed (always got a cat hogging the other one) no trouble. I did notice the lower res' initially but really don't now, even swapping from the 3 to mini and back (I'm talking specifically for iBooks here).

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
[MOD NOTE]
Discussion of DRM is permitted, but links, and methods on removing DRM are not permitted here at MacRumors.

~Mike

Really? I find that odd considering all the stickies and discussion on DVD encoding for Apple TV. As long as it is for personal use and not piracy/distribution, I'm not sure what the problem is.

I guess there is a line between the two and MR has chosen where to draw it. But if you ask me that is quite arbitrary. Here are guides on how to make it so you can watch all your DVD and Bluray movies digitally but we don't think you should help someone have access to their digital books on another platform...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.