Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I thought I'd post this in the programming area for those interested. Especially because I know that many of you guys here have game ideas but don't really know how to code in general.

If you don't know what Unity is, it's what a lot of the big studios use to publish their games to iOS and other platforms. You can get a small $100 or less visual programming plugin and pretty much make anything your heart desires, which is why I like it.

They used to charge $400 each for Android and iOS deployment and it's now completely free for indie developers.

I honestly think it's the most easiest and efficient way to start somewhere, and you could easily have a complete demo done by the end of the week literally.

Here's the blog post announcing the changes: http://blogs.unity3d.com/2013/05/21...unity-in-the-hands-of-every-mobile-developer/

Enjoy!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I feel like its really good I'm working on getting an MBA so these terms can make a little bit of sense.

My turnover last year wasn't $100K, so I can use the free version.

Pretty sweet... Makes the Wii U Dev Kit look a bit less sweet, but that's okay, I hadn't done anymore than think about the Wii U Dev Kit yet.

Thanks for sharing!

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I feel like its really good I'm working on getting an MBA so these terms can make a little bit of sense.

My turnover last year wasn't $100K, so I can use the free version.

Pretty sweet... Makes the Wii U Dev Kit look a bit less sweet, but that's okay, I hadn't done anymore than think about the Wii U Dev Kit yet.

Thanks for sharing!

Wii U? HA! I wish they'd release a 3DS dev kit with a nice price. The 3DS is very lacking in decent games that aren't similar to iOS ones. If there wasn't one eShop title that was coming out in a few months that I'm really excited for, I would easily think about selling mine.

I bought Petit Computer (BASIC) though, easily my favorite thing on it even though it's formatted for for the DS. Lots of fun.

And yeah. I got Unity 3 a year or so back when they made Android/iOS deployment free before Unity 4 came out. I didn't upgrade though because it's just too far out of my range, especially when I don't have anything published. At least having to shell out $400 every year was never an option for me. Once with free upgrades would have been fine. My Android license was still usable anyway.

I think this is going to lead to other tools going freemium. Which I think is okay. Paying for plugins is better than paying for the licenses. So much is held back to people who just want to learn how to use these pieces of software to begin with.

And no problem, I'm pretty psyched. :D If only the internet wasn't breaking up due to the bad weather. My download keeps timing out! :mad:

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
I saw this on Google+ and was gonna post it here, you beat me to it.

I just downloaded it, glad the scripting is in JS, which I somewhat know, so I can finally learn how to make a game that possibly doesn't suck (if I ever get around to it [which is very unlikely])

Glad to see Unity is really into "democratizing" game development.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
This is quite possibly the largest thing I've ever downloaded... I started it 3 hours ago and it's only at 375 MB / 1.11 GB...

Actually, it seems more that it's a slow download speed than that it's a large download... my connection isn't any slower than usual which makes me think that Unity's servers are slow right now...

Just to make sure I'm downloading the right thing, I should be downloading the thing labeled "Free Full Version for OS X with Unity Pro, Android and iOS trials." from their download page, right? I don't even see any other options on their download page.

What exactly does the word "trial" mean? "trial" and "no strings attached, no royalties and no license fees" seem to have contradictory meanings to me...

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
This is quite possibly the largest thing I've ever downloaded... I started it 3 hours ago and it's only at 375 MB / 1.11 GB...

Actually, it seems more that it's a slow download speed than that it's a large download... my connection isn't any slower than usual which makes me think that Unity's servers are slow right now...

Just to make sure I'm downloading the right thing, I should be downloading the thing labeled "Free Full Version for OS X with Unity Pro, Android and iOS trials." from their download page, right? I don't even see any other options on their download page.

What exactly does the word "trial" mean? "trial" and "no strings attached, no royalties and no license fees" seem to have contradictory meanings to me...

You can use their software and keep all the profits. Your work is yours.

Which Unity should I download? Unity Pro costs $1,500.00 and there's the 30 day trial. There is also a Unity 4.1.2 in the Download page.

The one here: http://unity3d.com/unity/download/

And yeah, it was slow, but I managed to get it completed earlier. Ignore the "trial" info. That isn't the case anymore. When you go to build, they'll both be activated.

larswik

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2006
Very Cool! I downloaded the free version of Unity and started playing with it about 6 months ago. I wish I could at least test it out on my iPhone as I was learning but it was $400!

Now I can but I need to find the time to get hack in to it again :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.