Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grunthaner

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
Hi Everyone,
I have a 2005 year, iMac 20" PPC, I replaced the power supply last June (looking for the old box and powersupply as a back up) and today after hearing loud fan for weeks it automatically shut down, won't reboot...... starts to try.... but DOA.

I know APPLE had problems with their power supply's and at one point offered replacements. Were the replacements any good if so where would I find one?

Is there a place I can send both of these power supply's for rebuilding? I think the problem was Chinese condenser's am I correct? What are your thoughts on this eBay tester?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200885249127?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Any help appreciated, almost completed thesis on HD along with loads of important info and can't swing a new computer.

Thanks Linda

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
I have said it before and I will say it again TRY EBAY

and as far as "actually" trusting an imac g5 with your future with absolutely no backups made and you for well knowing that the imac g5s were apples high point of failure. I have no sympathy for you at this time
but may I recommend celtx for papers that you absolutely can't afford to lose its no excuse for not having a backup but its a heck of a lot better than saving it to your imac g5s hdd

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I have said it before and I will say it again TRY EBAY

and as far as "actually" trusting an imac g5 with your future with absolutely no backups made and you for well knowing that the imac g5s were apples high point of failure. I have no sympathy for you at this time
but may I recommend celtx for papers that you absolutely can't afford to lose its no excuse for not having a backup but its a heck of a lot better than saving it to your imac g5s hdd

No. The iBook G3s were worse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.