Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Damn. Today my mini fell off the kitchen counter onto the linoleum floor. My CoverBuddy didn't survive that minor fall. One corner snapped off and the opposite corner cracked. The crack I can understand because it was at the power button, but the part that snapped off? I'm a little shocked. Wonder if anyone else makes a stronger version.

Did the mini break? If not, then I say the CoverBuddy did it's job.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
Did the mini break? If not, then I say the CoverBuddy did it's job.

I don't dispute it did it's job, I'm just disappointed it only survived a month. And at $30 including shipping, I'm not sure I want to pay for another one if this one will only last a month too.

Edit: You have to love SwitchEasy. Just for giggles, not expecting anything, I put in a trouble ticket on their web site. I fully admitted that I dropped the case. It wasn't damaged in shipping. I doubt it was a manufacturing issue. I told them I dropped it. I said, I guessed that it was considered abuse, so it wouldn't be covered by the warranty. Behold a company that cares about their reputation. I got an email back, same day, on a Sunday no less. They asked for a photo of "the issue". I emailed it back and less than 30 minutes later I got an email that they would FedEx me a new case. How amazing is that? I never heard of the company before coming on this board looking for a case for my mini, but I'll tell you what. I will be looking at their products a lot more closely knowing they stand behind their products 200%.

Last edited:

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
I have figured out why my Coverbuddy was replaced so easily. I think there is a design flaw. The corner broke again at the power switch. I think I wil email them and ask for a clear back...

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I have figured out why my Coverbuddy was replaced so easily. I think there is a design flaw. The corner broke again at the power switch. I think I wil email them and ask for a clear back...

Just a heads up, the clear I had attracted fingerprints and dust like crazy.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
But is the plastic thicker/stronger?

Yeah, it did seem more sturdy but I can't confirm if it'll be better than the matte ones as I returned it to SwitchEasy. You may try out Belkin's Shield, although the one I have appears to pretty thin.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Maybe I'll ask for the black?

Black is the exact same as the clear. It's also more of a dark gray in person. Black seemed to be more of a fingerprint magnet. I also had one and ended up selling it for a matte version. I basically ended up just throwing my hands in the air and going naked. I've got insurance in the event something happens. If I ever change my mind, I've also got the Belkin one.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
I guess it's just time to look at other cases. Kinda wonder if it was damaged in shipping..

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I guess it's just time to look at other cases. Kinda wonder if it was damaged in shipping..

Did it show up cracked? I used a matte one for quite some time and it never cracked. I figured they were pretty sturdy.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Has any one purchased a RED coverbuddy mini lately? I know when they were first released the color coverbuddy and smart cover were WAY OFF.
So I'm just curious if switcheasy has adjusted for this?

I sent them an email but they never responded

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
Has any one purchased a RED coverbuddy mini lately? I know when they were first released the color coverbuddy and smart cover were WAY OFF.
So I'm just curious if switcheasy has adjusted for this?

I sent them an email but they never responded

I have three of them here, all the same color. It's fine though as I suspect that the Smart Cover will darken with age to match.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Maybe they did change up their colors. Because there are pics in this thread of the red smart cover and coverbuddy and they are from a match.

Bought pink versions for my daughter and they don't match either. Not as bad as the pics of the red but definetly not a match.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
Maybe they did change up their colors. Because there are pics in this thread of the red smart cover and coverbuddy and they are from a match.

Bought pink versions for my daughter and they don't match either. Not as bad as the pics of the red but definetly not a match.

No, the color didn't change. It's still much darker than the Smart Cover. As I have both in my hand.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
My clear CoverBuddy has cracked in the two corners near the SmartCover and I've only had it for 2 weeks, never dropped it or bumped it. The iPad is always user on soft surfaces. Very disappointed as I loved this case initially. Now looking into other options but none seem to cover the bottom, top, and buttons completely like this one. Maybe the matte colored versions are sturdier and less brittle?

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
Yeah, I'm on my third broken CoverBuddy. I'm starting to look at other back covers.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Yeah, I'm on my third broken CoverBuddy. I'm starting to look at other back covers.

I just bought these two on Amazon since Switcheasy never responded to my warranty claim...

Hopefully these are good, but they don't cover as much on the top or the bottom (or the buttons) like the Cover Buddy did:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009YQ8BTI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AVWJXHS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
My clear CoverBuddy has cracked in the two corners near the SmartCover and I've only had it for 2 weeks, never dropped it or bumped it. The iPad is always user on soft surfaces. Very disappointed as I loved this case initially. Now looking into other options but none seem to cover the bottom, top, and buttons completely like this one. Maybe the matte colored versions are sturdier and less brittle?

The matte will definitely be a little bit less scratch resistant. It's matte because of a coating which the glossy ones don't have.

These plastic covers are always going to have problems with corners cracking, so don't expect too much. The best mini back cover I've seen so far is the Caudabe Mini Shell. It locks on the Smart Cover and also comes in matte. Hasn't failed me yet after a month and was only $10.

Kisey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
After a few months, my gray one cracked..never dropped or bumped. Hoping they'll send me a replacement.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Boston Rhett

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2012
DC
After a few months, my gray one cracked..never dropped or bumped. Hoping they'll send me a replacement.

Mine just did the exact same thing in the exact same spot. Replaced it with a black Incipio Smart Feather, which I honestly like a lot more. It seems a little sturdier, and I like the feature where it keeps the Smart Cover from falling off. I just wish the buttons were covered like they are on the Cover Buddy.

Kisey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Mine just did the exact same thing in the exact same spot. Replaced it with a black Incipio Smart Feather, which I honestly like a lot more. It seems a little sturdier, and I like the feature where it keeps the Smart Cover from falling off. I just wish the buttons were covered like they are on the Cover Buddy.

I contacted Switcheasy and they sent me a replacement, no question asked :D I will definitely start looking for an alternative case as I'm pretty sure the coverbuddy will just eventually crack again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.