Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage8.png
Evernote has added the ability to set reminders and alarms to its note-taking and organizational app, a popular new feature request the company says.
For the millions and millions of people around the world that use Evernote everyday to achieve their goals, we're excited to announce a new part of Evernote that will keep you on track every step of the way. Reminders are here. Our three most requested features rolled into one small package:

- In-app and email Alarms
- Quick note based to-do lists
- Pinning notes to the top of your note list
Evernote has additional details on how the new features work in a post on its blog.

Evernote is a free download for Mac and iOS, though premium subscriptions are available. [Direct Links: Mac, iOS]

Article Link: Evernote Adds Reminders to Mac and iOS Apps in Update

MDomino

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
At last. :)
I wonder what took them so long?

Probably they had no reminders to remind them to add reminders.

nekonari

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
Washington, DC
Didn't really think of using Evernote as a todo/reminder lists.

But I'm not a fan of using pinch-out to go to time-selection wheel on iPhones.

joneill55

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Another nice feature added to a really good program.

Not a fan of the IOS clunky slow mobile platform start up, but with the addition of AgileTortise "Drafts" to quickly send notes to Evernote, this has made it very useful skipping the slow clunky start up of mobile Evernote.

marvin4653

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
Another nice feature added to a really good program.

Not a fan of the IOS clunky slow mobile platform start up, but with the addition of AgileTortise "Drafts" to quickly send notes to Evernote, this has made it very useful skipping the slow clunky start up of mobile Evernote.
Whoa, thanks for the pointer to "Drafts"! I also like Evernote for cross-platform syncing and organization of notes, but I would still find myself opening up the iOS "Notes" app if I wanted to quickly take a note down without waiting for Evernote to open and without needing to decide how to categorize the note. I just downloaded Drafts and it's excellent.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Nice addition.

What I really want is Listary to add Evernote support.

Whoa, thanks for the pointer to "Drafts"! I also like Evernote for cross-platform syncing and organization of notes, but I would still find myself opening up the iOS "Notes" app if I wanted to quickly take a note down without waiting for Evernote to open and without needing to decide how to categorize the note. I just downloaded Drafts and it's excellent.

FastEver works extremely well for this as well.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Agree, my most used app next to Zite. This is great news!!!

It is great news, I use Wunderlist as my basic to-do and reminder app, this new functionality might even fully replace that, which is sad for Wunderlist (a nice app in its own right) but for me it's a very good thing.

iwbyte

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2005
I'd like to move to evernote, but I'm really attached to Siri - I use Siri to set reminders all day, since that part of my brain fails quickly after shuttling kids around to activites and I find just enough time to shout out for Siri to remind me to do something when I get back home.

While I don't think Apple would ever do it, it would be really nice if Siri could be used for other apps.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
It is great news, I use Wunderlist as my basic to-do and reminder app, this new functionality might even fully replace that, which is sad for Wunderlist (a nice app in its own right) but for me it's a very good thing.

It is funny that you mention Wunderlist, that is what I also use. Too funny. I really like Wunderlist and I really like the desktop version. Good stuff to say the least.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I think the app gets worse and worse.

I always thought of it as a NOTE-taking app. "Evernote". A way to organize my notes instead of having a folder full of TXT files.

The software is INCREDIBLY inconsistent.

The iOS app has one view on iPhone, with Favorites, but then when the same app was loaded on iPad, it would lose the Favorites folder.

The Windows app looks a certain way, with its own tools and formatting.

The Mac OS X app looks a totally different way, with its own set of different tools.

On iOS, when you paste text, it doesn't simplify the text. Your note may be a consistent font size and style, but then you paste something in, and suddenly your fonts and text size are all screwed up.

If what you paste is a link, you cannot edit/change/remove that link on iOS. You have to open the note on something like Mac OS X to remove or change the link and then re-sync the note.

I just want a SIMPLE note-taking app. Even Apple's own notes have a ton of problems.

And now this latest Evernote Mac OS X update, it changes to some weird "vertical" view with the notes on the right side instead of the bottom.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011

Same here, I also use Wunderlist and got excited that I might be able to roll two apps into one.

Unfortunately I don't see Evernote Reminders allowing me to do that. While it's a nice feature, it's too cumbersome to enter tasks quickly. Managing each task as a note also leaves something to be desired.

I always thought of it as a NOTE-taking app. "Evernote". A way to organize my notes instead of having a folder full of TXT files.

The iOS app has one view on iPhone, with Favorites, but then when the same app was loaded on iPad, it would lose the Favorites folder.

The Mac OS X app looks a totally different way, with its own set of different tools.

On iOS, when you paste text, it doesn't simplify the text. Your note may be a consistent font size and style, but then you paste something in, and suddenly your fonts and text size are all screwed up.

If what you paste is a link, you cannot edit/change/remove that link on iOS. You have to open the note on something like Mac OS X to remove or change the link and then re-sync the note.

I just want a SIMPLE note-taking app. Even Apple's own notes have a ton of problems.

And now this latest Evernote Mac OS X update, it changes to some weird "vertical" view with the notes on the right side instead of the bottom.

Try Simplenote. It's...simple.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011

Favorites have been phased out over time, and I don't think they have ever been available on the iPad.

They are actually quite similar in their functionality, but separate development teams tailor them to each OS. This has pluses and minuses, but one good thing that I appreciate is that they take advantage of the strengths of each platform instead of making an app that only works so-so everywhere.

There is a simplify formatting and a make plain text option in iOS to deal with this.

Not in my experience. I have no problem removing links.

The vertical view is great, in my opinion, but to each his own. It certainly would be nice if they would provide more options to users like having both types of views.

As for a simple notetaking app, obviously simplenote (as suggested before) is great, but I prefer notesy (iOS) + nvALT (OSX) for plain text. These are both excellent apps, though neither of them come close to having the kind of robust search options available in Evernote.

Anyhow, there are a lot of options, and I think Evernote should definitely be high on anyone's list of apps to think about for use with notetaking.

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Evernote has changed the way I use Notes/Lists/Browsing and also how I keep notes in the office, and this is just awesome news to have reminders built in!

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Same here, I also use Wunderlist and got excited that I might be able to roll two apps into one.

Unfortunately I don't see Evernote Reminders allowing me to do that. While it's a nice feature, it's too cumbersome to enter tasks quickly. Managing each task as a note also leaves something to be desired.

I haven't had a chance to really play with it yet, that's good to know, thanks for the information. It is just rev 1 of this feature, perhaps they'll enhance it in the future - you should send them a note with your thoughts, especially if it doesn't yet meet your expectations that would allow you to drop another similarly featured application. If I were a product manager at Evernote, I'd love to get that sort of information from a user.

In the past I have tried using Evernote as a GTD app - there is a great book out there to help you, but the whole process was just was too cumbersome for me, so I went with Wunderlist, which is basic and easy to use (and cross platform).

Evernote is great, I use it for more and more things - e.g. storing URLs or web articles (it's so easy), I now also take pictures of receipts and store them in a "cabinet" in Evernote, I've got important information stored in Evernote, I'm just starting to store recipes in Evernote and Evernote Food looks like it'll be a great little app, and of course I transcribe all my notes from my lectures - this application is becoming quite central to my life, so I welcome additional features being added over time.

joneill55

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007

Indeed. Drafts with its great linking feature is my "go to" app frequently all day long. It allows to quickly capture and "move on". I'm really digging it!:rolleyes:

Kattym

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2013

I wouldn't be so critical about Evernote as it is still one of the most advanced note taking software. Yes, they have the problems with the layouts and management systems for various devices. But I think it is caused by the differences in possibilities of soft installed on Mac or iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.