Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordking65

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
San Diego, California, USA
Hey guys,

I'm trying to to figure out the fastest way to transfer my photos from my memory card to my external hard drive. I have looking at alternatives, thinking of buying a MacBook Air and a USB 3.0 hard drive enclosure or buying an iPad and use it to transfer my photos from my CF to it. I was even looking at the WFT thing canon offers but i feel like that's not for me.

I take an abundant amount of photos during Dance competitions very quickly (so do my assistant, I shoot all in RAW, so I need a way to relieve my 2 32gb CF cards as quick as possible.

Besides of buying a crap load of memory card anyone have any other suggestion? I'm also a student so if you guys suggest something that I can use in the long term, that would be great too!

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I use a Lexar USB 3 reader that supports the latest UDMA standard cards to download my 64gb Lexar cards.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hey guys,

I'm trying to to figure out the fastest way to transfer my photos from my memory card to my external hard drive. I have looking at alternatives, thinking of buying a MacBook Air and a USB 3.0 hard drive enclosure...

That is the best option. You can use the notebook for image edits and selecting which to keep. Buy a copy of Aperture for the Macbook then you can work on the RAW images.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
If you are working hard and in a hurry... using a MBA + USB HDD is a lot of extra gear... not to mention the time to transfer the data. Personally... I would make sure that you have enough CF cards for the shoot... and then capture them once the shoot is over.

/Jim

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
I agree with the above. Transferring images during a shoot is not ideal. I would make sure to have enough flash storage for the shoot and worry about offloading later.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
If you are working hard and in a hurry... using a MBA + USB HDD is a lot of extra gear... not to mention the time to transfer the data. Personally... I would make sure that you have enough CF cards for the shoot... and then capture them once the shoot is over.

/Jim

Maybe part of the goal is backup? Also why bother with an external disk? Copy the CF cards to the notebook's internal drive.

And YES you are right NEVER erase a CF card when you are still on-site and shooting. wait until you are back home and AFTER yo have made multiple backups. Even then do not ease the cards. Do that just before the next shoot.

CF cards have gotten dirt cheap, $50 max for a card, less if you shop. Buy enough cards.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Maybe part of the goal is backup? Also why bother with an external disk? Copy the CF cards to the notebook's internal drive.

And YES you are right NEVER erase a CF card when you are still on-site and shooting. wait until you are back home and AFTER yo have made multiple backups. Even then do not ease the cards. Do that just before the next shoot.

CF cards have gotten dirt cheap, $50 max for a card, less if you shop. Buy enough cards.

Regarding bolded section above. That was my first thought... but a MBA comes standard with 128GB drive... and can be upgraded to 512 at a pretty hefty price. I think it is $200 to go from 128 -> 256 (part of an upgrade package)... and then another $300 to go from 256 -> 512.

I was assuming that $500 premium is a lot worse than getting a bunch of CF cards & an external HDD.

My personal MBA is a 512GB machine... and I back up each day's photos to my MBA during my trips. Then I back up the MBA to Crashplan cloud service. I do not delete anything until I am home and everything is loaded into my MBA... and it has been backed up twice (or more).

/Jim

swordio777

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2013
Scotland, UK
I take an abundant amount of photos during Dance competitions very quickly (so do my assistant, I shoot all in RAW, so I need a way to relieve my 2 32gb CF cards as quick as possible.

Besides of buying a crap load of memory card anyone have any other suggestion? I'm also a student so if you guys suggest something that I can use in the long term, that would be great too!

Others have said this above, but I'll reiterate - clearing cards while still on a job is a recipe for DISASTER. Clearing cards on a shoot adds an unnecessary level of stress that you really don't need. If something goes wrong and you wipe the wrong card then that stress level is gonna go though the roof. Even deleting the odd individual shot to free up a bit of space on your card isn't a great idea. Your best bet is certainly to buy more CF cards - buy at least as many as you need to get through a full shoot, preferably more so you've got a couple of spares.

I only clear my cards a few days before a new shoot, until then they're just a 3rd backup. If you're doing paid work anythign else just isn't worth the hassle.

Hope this helps :)

rickiac

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2007
Portable Memory Card Storage Device

I recently had the chance to use this device (HyperDrive Colorspace UDMA2 240GB SSD) You insert your memory card and initiate the transfer. It copies all the files on the memory card to the SSD device. It also has a wireless option which when connected to the unit, will let you view your photos on an iphone or ipad. No computer necessary.

My review: Worked as needed! The buttons are sometimes hard to press/activate. Menu system can be confusing and the UI definitely needs an upgrade. It did transfer photos quickly and without errors. When you need to transfer your photos (works with RAW files) just connect to you desktop. The units range from 160GB to 1TB ($330 - $620 at B & H).

Because of the cost of these devices, and my rare need for such a device, I rented it from LensRentals.com to try it. If / when they update the buttons, menus and UI, I would considered buying it.

dmax35

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
I bought the same setup and agree the buttons are a pain.

I recently had the chance to use this device (HyperDrive Colorspace UDMA2 240GB SSD) You insert your memory card and initiate the transfer. It copies all the files on the memory card to the SSD device. It also has a wireless option which when connected to the unit, will let you view your photos on an iphone or ipad. No computer necessary.

My review: Worked as needed! The buttons are sometimes hard to press/activate. Menu system can be confusing and the UI definitely needs an upgrade. It did transfer photos quickly and without errors. When you need to transfer your photos (works with RAW files) just connect to you desktop. The units range from 160GB to 1TB ($330 - $620 at B & H).

Because of the cost of these devices, and my rare need for such a device, I rented it from LensRentals.com to try it. If / when they update the buttons, menus and UI, I would considered buying it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.