Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Was hoping apple would expand the apple tv to have built in storage, more channels to select besides netflix and such. And NO, I don't want a dedicated tv with apple iOS running it. Wanted something to hook up to ANY tv. Plus a dedicated tv is to expensive. After reading the specs of Xbox one, and its capabilities, I think apple blew it. Unless apple brings out a apple tv with storage and more options, and wouldn't mind a bigger box from its current form factor, apple will loose. All opinions welcome on this subject.

StinDaWg

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
The Xbox One will likely be $500-600. I don't think they're really competing for the same market. You still need a cable box for the Xbox One features to work, so it's not exactly a game changer. And you'll still need to switch over to the cable box interface to get access to your recordings. It's more like a better version of Google TV if anything.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I am not sure Apple is trying to get into the gaming market. The new Xbox is going to be a good device for what it is going to be able to do. But it will cost $400-700 for it. That is just my guess. But it is still mainly a gaming device.

I am sure Apple can make the ATV do the same, but then it will cost just as much or more. The only thing I would like to see is storage with the ATV. I would be willing to pay maybe an extra $100 or so for a 250GB HDD added to the ATV.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
There's a lot more to any product than spec's. And, it's not always the first out of the box that makes the best product. I'm certainly not worried that a new version of the XBox is going to kill aTV development...assuming there is any in the works, that is.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Was hoping apple would expand the apple tv to have built in storage
I had the original AppleTV, which had storage.

I really don't miss it, because my Mac is the storage hub for all of my media library.

To me, it's easier to just be able to stream anything from my Mac then it is to remember to setup all of the iTunes smart playlists that it would require to sync the subset of my media library that would fit on an AppleTV.

I don't see the point of keeping a duplicate copy of stuff on the device connected to the TV. :confused:

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I had the original AppleTV, which had storage.

I really don't miss it, because my Mac is the storage hub for all of my media library.

To me, it's easier to just be able to stream anything from my Mac then it is to remember to setup all of the iTunes smart playlists that it would require to sync the subset of my media library that would fit on an AppleTV.

I don't see the point of keeping a duplicate copy of stuff on the device connected to the TV. :confused:
Agreed. I used to have a media player that had it's own external connected storage...but no way to get media on it, other than disconnect and connect to the Mac to transfer. PITA. It's much simpler letting the Mac handle everything through NAS.

al2o3cr

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2009
Was hoping apple would expand the apple tv to have built in storage, more channels to select besides netflix and such. And NO, I don't want a dedicated tv with apple iOS running it. Wanted something to hook up to ANY tv. Plus a dedicated tv is to expensive. After reading the specs of Xbox one, and its capabilities, I think apple blew it. Unless apple brings out a apple tv with storage and more options, and wouldn't mind a bigger box from its current form factor, apple will loose. All opinions welcome on this subject.

I don't think "announced without a price OR a release date" counts as "out" in any meaningful sense - and anybody with a modern "smart TV" can tell you just how much of a gap there is between a spec list and an actual UI...

Also, in the spirit of "all opinions welcome", it's LOSE not LOOSE ffs.

Topfry

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2011
Apple have already chosen their direction for the living room: streaming and icloud storage. So I would guess that it's unlikely that a new atv will include a hard drive. If anything maybe more flash storage if they choose the route of adding apps to it.

I like some of the ideas for the new xbox which match some of the speculation thats been going on for some time about an apple tv, and if they work as well as the prepublicity then yes microsoft could well have stolen a march on any plans Apple may have had for the living room; at least they will be able to say they have done it first : the integrated camera; the motion detection; the voice control; the video overlay etc are all things I would like on a new version of the atv. In fact For the first time I'm starting to believe that a full apple tv could even be possible But aside from the obvious gaming aspect of the xbox, I think an Apple box/tv would be based on the scope of their current successful content delivery system.

LaunchpadBS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
iLondon/iDurban
Flame ON!!!!

How did Apple blow it exactly...? Xbox one is far from perfect, for one it's not a TV, it uses the xbox interface...have you ever used it? It SUCKS, I know I have a 360 and last but by no means least it's HUGE!!! Besides they have different target markets.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Microsoft has a good position with their new Xbox. And Apple seems a bit passive. That's all I am going to say.

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
When does the new XBox come out? How much does it cost? Typical Microsoft announcement. Hype, but no details. Apple waits until they're ready to sell a product before they announce it. It's still highly likely that the next Apple TV iteration could be out before a single unit of the new XBox is sold.

anewman143

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
I'm an xbox guy, but not sure the ONE appeals to me. I'm 47 and love to play, but I'm not a guy who wants to play while skyping while checking my fantasy sports team (actually...I don't have one). Perhaps this kind of multi-tasking content is designed for the younger user. Yes - the voice activated interface is slick...wonder how it will be in the real world.

And I have a home theater receiver with multiple inputs, so the switching/combined viewing on the ONE is neat, but not sure I'd really use it all that much.

For me, it's about the games. And until the ONE has some games that I can't play on my 360, I'm not going to be lining up for it. But time will tell - as more info comes out, perhaps a more compelling argument will be made for old guys like me. I fear it will be above the $299 price point...hopefully they will have learned from the PS3 intro that prices above that will kill sales...

Stay tuned, I suppose.

Topfry

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2011
Gonna be watching that atv shaped WWDC Keynote presentation on June 10th, tho... you know, just in case...

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
How did Apple blow it? It's wasn't even their press conference... Troll.

Does anyone remember that one HIMYM episode where Marshall tried and failed using voice commands to play Star Wars? On stage, obviously voice commands work. But we have no idea if it works in our own living room.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

This is correct, Apple hasn't blown it, yet. I have said and will stand by my statement that the XBOX One blows the current ATV out of the water. Apple hasn't offered an updated ATV just yet so they haven't yet blown it. My guess though is that we won't see live TV on the ATV, but that is only a guess.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
This is correct, Apple hasn't blown it, yet. I have said and will stand by my statement that the XBOX One blows the current ATV out of the water. Apple hasn't offered an updated ATV just yet so they haven't yet blown it. My guess though is that we won't see live TV on the ATV, but that is only a guess.

I agree and as it should. Pricing is still unknown but I am sure the Xbox One at launch will not cost $99, even if there is a subsidized model. If last generation launches can help us gauge prices, it will be at least $300+.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Xbox live paywall is still something i cannot get past, if they had not put things like netflix, Facebook and messaging behind it (keep game servers, voice, even video chat behind it, fare enough) then maybe, just maybe, i would have liked the Xbox.

As it is Xbox Live has been the deciding factor in what i play my "console" games on, and thats the PS3, i even pay for PSN, because im paying for "Added" value, not features that should be free but have been removed and put behind a paywall to force subscription.

Also im guess MS will not allow for cheap DIY harddisk upgrades, and as 500GB isnt enough for me on my PS3 (Currently have a 1TB and its running less than 50gb free, no illegal stuff, but i do use it as a DVR with Play TV)

Given the option, ill go with , and this is a laugh, the more open Sony option.

But i agree, if apple just ramped up the GPU in the Apple TV a bit, and brought out a proper physical controller, it would easily eat into both sony and MS user base (and finally see nintendo off to sit at the has been table with sega)

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
The new XBox won't independently do live TV (it's still your cable box), and for everything else it does streaming. It doesn't even have DVR features. It's pretty much the same thing as Google TV, which isn't really beating Apple either.

How did Apple blow it exactly?

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA

Does anyone remember that one HIMYM episode where Marshall tried and failed using voice commands to play Star Wars? On stage, obviously voice commands work. But we have no idea if it works in our own living room.
Troll my arse. Apple's so called entertainment center is a tv with iOS. Sure didn't reinvent the wheel here. The cost for one will be a hell of allot more than an Xbox one or PS4. Try taking that with you, not. Apple could have expand the current ATV with internal storage
and other options and beat both out the gate. Looking at the latest info on apple steaming music, not happening any time soon. Big drop in stock price. Oh, I forgot there coming out with a smart watch to inovate again. Really. Another iToy. No mac pro announced yet, if it will ever happen but sure kept the fanboys in suspense. As for release, always in the fall. At least they anounced it. Will have to wait until june for apple to anounce something, hopefully not just upgrades to current products.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Xbox live paywall is still something i cannot get past, if they had not put things like netflix, Facebook and messaging behind it (keep game servers, voice, even video chat behind it, fare enough) then maybe, just maybe, i would have liked the Xbox.

As it is Xbox Live has been the deciding factor in what i play my "console" games on, and thats the PS3, i even pay for PSN, because im paying for "Added" value, not features that should be free but have been removed and put behind a paywall to force subscription.

Also im guess MS will not allow for cheap DIY harddisk upgrades, and as 500GB isnt enough for me on my PS3 (Currently have a 1TB and its running less than 50gb free, no illegal stuff, but i do use it as a DVR with Play TV)

Given the option, ill go with , and this is a laugh, the more open Sony option.

But i agree, if apple just ramped up the GPU in the Apple TV a bit, and brought out a proper physical controller, it would easily eat into both sony and MS user base (and finally see nintendo off to sit at the has been table with sega)

Wait, Netflix is only available if you pay for Xbox Live?!? Forgive me if that is a stupidly obvious question, the only time I've ever touched an Xbox 360 was when my roommate had one with Xbox Live Gold subscription during college freshman year. And all I did was play games (CoD and GTA), never anything else. I do have a PS3 and use it to watch Netflix so I've never ever experience the Xbox side of things.

----------

Troll my arse. Apple's so called entertainment center is a tv with iOS. Sure didn't reinvent the wheel here. The cost for one will be a hell of allot more than an Xbox one or PS4. Try taking that with you, not. Apple could have expand the current ATV with internal storage
and other options and beat both out the gate. Looking at the latest info on apple steaming music, not happening any time soon. Big drop in stock price. Oh, I forgot there coming out with a smart watch to inovate again. Really. Another iToy. No mac pro announced yet, if it will ever happen but sure kept the fanboys in suspense. As for release, always in the fall. At least they anounced it. Will have to wait until june for apple to anounce something, hopefully not just upgrades to current products.

Where can I buy such a mythical device? Oh wait, it's as real as you are factually accurate.

ps45

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
Key difference:

Apple press events often end with the words: 'Shipping tomorrow'.
The XBox One is expected to be released towards the end of 2013.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Wait, Netflix is only available if you pay for Xbox Live?!? Forgive me if that is a stupidly obvious question, the only time I've ever touched an Xbox 360 was when my roommate had one with Xbox Live Gold subscription during college freshman year. And all I did was play games (CoD and GTA), never anything else. I do have a PS3 and use it to watch Netflix so I've never ever experience the Xbox side of things.

To watch netflix (which you already pay netflix to watch) on an Xbox you cant unless you also subscribe to xbox live as well.

SO on the PS3 you just log into Netflix and watch , xbox owners cant do that, they have to pay for xbox Live if the want to log into and use the netflix account they are already paying to use, Microsoft gets you to pay them to watch netflix, as well as you pay netflix to watch netflix... its a nice scam, MS get you to pay them to use an Xbox to connect to a service your already paying to connect to, its like your local supermarket charging you again for the food you just bought if you take it out of the bag you carried it home in.

Xbox owners also cant send messages unless they have a pay account, use facebook or twitter, or pretty much do anything with the console that requires a connection to the outside world (They got into a big fight with the BBC here in the UK because the BBC refused to give them an iPlayer app unless it sat outside xbox live and was accessible to anyone in the UK with or without a subscription to xbox live, it took several years before MS relented, and that was only because they were the only kid on the block without the iPlayer at that point)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.