Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rickpoet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles, California
Hi,

I've been posting my late model Power Mac G5 (11,2) and 20" Cinema Display to Craig's List for a few weeks and have had no nibbles...not trying to post an ad here but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on the best way to sell or donate this? It's got a brand new install clean install of the latest OSX that is compatible with it, a new install of Adobe CS4 listened to this computer with install disks, 2 internal hard drives, 8 gigs of ram and a 20" Cinema Display. It's obviously old and pre-intel but with a clean install of everything it's actually pretty fast.

So what can I do with it? It's just taking up space in my office...is there a school, or some place it would go to great use?

Should I try and sell the computer separate from the monitor?

Again not trying to sell it here as Craig's List has always been my go to, but since it's been unsuccessful, any advice on the best place to sell or a really great place to donate it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Rick

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Hi,

I've been posting my late model Power Mac G5 (11,2) and 20" Cinema Display to Craig's List for a few weeks and have had no nibbles...not trying to post an ad here but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on the best way to sell or donate this? It's got a brand new install clean install of the latest OSX that is compatible with it, a new install of Adobe CS4 listened to this computer with install disks, 2 internal hard drives, 8 gigs of ram and a 20" Cinema Display. It's obviously old and pre-intel but with a clean install of everything it's actually pretty fast.

So what can I do with it? It's just taking up space in my office...is there a school, or some place it would go to great use?

Again not trying to sell it here as Craig's List has always been my go to, but since it's been unsuccessful, any advice on the best place to sell or a really great place to donate it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Rick

Women's Shelter. I donate all my computers to shelters. The women who are in those shelters can use them to upgrade their computer skills which in the end allows them to get out of the awful situation they are in. It makes them more employable. These women can use all the help they can get. Your donation of the computer will go a long way.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Hi,

Thanks!

Rick

Can you post a link to the ad? That machine should be selling because I've been looking for one that's reasonably priced for some time now!

I always try to sell machines that come as a complete set, so as long as you have the machine, display, mouse, and keyboard, then I don't see why you should break up the party at all.

That machine should still be worth about $750 as long as it's in good shape, so please send the link and I'll take a look at it and give you my advice.

rickpoet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles, California
Can you post a link to the ad? That machine should be selling because I've been looking for one that's reasonably priced for some time now!

I always try to sell machines that come as a complete set, so as long as you have the machine, display, mouse, and keyboard, then I don't see why you should break up the party at all.

That machine should still be worth about $750 as long as it's in good shape, so please send the link and I'll take a look at it and give you my advice.

Sure, no problem, it's: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/sys/3788389287.html

Thanks!

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011

Hey Rick,

I took a look at the ad and I have some advice that I think will get it sold faster for you. Here's what I thought of your ad and what I think you could do to fix it. I have also made some assumptions that might/might not be true as well, so bear with me a bit.

PROS
1. you have a great machine and all the accompanying accessories that seem to be in good working order.
2. you have the original installation media and the upgraded media as well

CONS
1. Don't list the applications that come with the OS because that always sends up red flags when I'm looking for electronics or computers.
2. Ad is too long and that normally makes people stop paying attention to it or questioning its validity
3. No wireless on the PM
4. No pictures of the inside of the machine

If I were to write the ad, I would write something like this:

"Late 2005 Quad Core PowerMac G5 running OS X 10.5.8(Leopard) with extras" $600 LosAwesomeness

This machine was the last and most powerful PowerPC-based machine that Apple released and is still a very powerful computer. You can still modify it and upgrade it as well for a more personalized feel with: different CPUs, different and more powerful graphics cards, wireless cards...etc

PowerMac G5
2.3GHz Quad Core CPU
7GB DDR2 RAM(16GB max)
ethernet
DVD-RW drive
NVIDIA GeForce 660 GPU with 256MB dedicated memory

756 GB HDD(1 x500GB, 1 x256GB)

4 x usb 2.0 ports
2 x usb 1.1 ports(included on keyboard)
2 x firewire 400 ports
1 x firewire 800 ports

*WiFi ready(needs airport extreme card or usb dongle)*

Included Accessories
-20" Cinema Display
-Apple wired keyboard
-Apple Mighty Mouse

Included Software:
-MAC OS 9 installation disc
-MAC OS X 10.4(Tiger) Installation Disc
-MAC OS X 10.5(Leopard) Retail Disc
-iWork '09(Pages, Numbers, Keynote)
-Adobe CS4 Premium(with original discs and serial numbers for which you will retain the licenses)

This way: the ad is shorter, gives all the pertinent specs and does not diminish the machine simply because of its age, and shows what the buyers are also getting in the purchase. Let me know what you think but with the accessories you're including and the fact that you have the original discs, you should be asking for more than $450 in my opinion. But if you would settle for $450, then set the price higher for those people that immediately start negotiating for a lower price.

Last edited:

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
Just wanted to add that the 20" cinema display had a resolution of 1680x1050 not 1920x1200 like stated in the add. Unless you are actually selling a 23" cinema display then the stated resolution is correct.

rickpoet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles, California
Hey Rick,

I took a look at the ad and I have some advice that I think will get it sold faster for you. Here's what I thought of your ad and what I think you could do to fix it. I have also made some assumptions that might/might not be true as well, so bear with me a bit.

PROS
1. you have a great machine and all the accompanying accessories that seem to be in good working order.
2. you have the original installation media and the upgraded media as well

CONS
1. Don't list the applications that come with the OS because that always sends up red flags when I'm looking for electronics or computers.
2. Ad is too long and that normally makes people stop paying attention to it or questioning its validity
3. No wireless on the PM
4. No pictures of the inside of the machine

If I were to write the ad, I would write something like this:

"Late 2005 Quad Core PowerMac G5 running OS X 10.5.8(Leopard) with extras" $600 LosAwesomeness

This machine was the last and most powerful PowerPC-based machine that Apple released and is still a very powerful computer. You can still modify it and upgrade it as well for a more personalized feel with: different CPUs, different and more powerful graphics cards, wireless cards...etc

PowerMac G5
2.3GHz Quad Core CPU
7GB DDR2 RAM(16GB max)
ethernet
DVD-RW drive
NVIDIA GeForce 660 GPU with 256MB dedicated memory

756 GB HDD(1 x500GB, 1 x256GB)

4 x usb 2.0 ports
2 x usb 1.1 ports(included on keyboard)
2 x firewire 400 ports
1 x firewire 800 ports

*WiFi ready(needs airport extreme card or usb dongle)*

Included Accessories
-20" Cinema Display
-Apple wired keyboard
-Apple Mighty Mouse

Included Software:
-MAC OS 9 installation disc
-MAC OS X 10.4(Tiger) Installation Disc
-MAC OS X 10.5(Leopard) Retail Disc
-iWork '09(Pages, Numbers, Keynote)
-Adobe CS4 Premium(with original discs and serial numbers for which you will retain the licenses)

This way: the ad is shorter, gives all the pertinent specs and does not diminish the machine simply because of its age, and shows what the buyers are also getting in the purchase. Let me know what you think but with the accessories you're including and the fact that you have the original discs, you should be asking for more than $450 in my opinion. But if you would settle for $450, then set the price higher for those people that immediately start negotiating for a lower price.

Thanks so much...I'll give it a try!

----------

Just wanted to add that the 20" cinema display had a resolution of 1680x1050 not 1920x1200 like stated in the add. Unless you are actually selling a 23" cinema display then the stated resolution is correct.

Eek...good to know...will adjust...thanks! Actually I think it might be the 23"...it's measured diagonally right?

R

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Thanks so much...I'll give it a try!

You're welcome! And just so you know, I am in LA for the holiday weekend, so if you decide to give it away....let me know and I will gladly take it off your hands! I have a feeling though that you'll have either sold it or will have more interest in it before the weekend is out.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Sadly no...I used the suggested ad subject/text - even lowered the price to $525...a couple of nibbles but no bites...still have it sitting on my office floor.

If it's not getting sold with what you've included, there must be something wrong with people out there. If I had the money, I would absolutely spend it on that machine. Maybe consider separating the sale items.

Group. the tower, keyboard, mouse, display, and OS X Tiger and OS 9 together($300)

group CS4 and sell that by itself($250 and up on Amazon)

sell iWork by itself($20)

sell OS X Leopard by itself.(From looking at eBay, this might get you $90-$100)

This way, people that might be thrown off by the inclusion of software would come back and get the machine and you could easily sell the other stuff elsewhere. I say this because I have 2 iBooks now and would love to have a retail copy of Leopard. Good luck and let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. I just don't think you should donate it if it's still worth so much and is still a professional machine.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I don't think that it is worth as much as you think. I think the main issue with the listing is that the monitor is included, which is driving up the price - usually bundles sell for less than the 2 separate items, and many people who may want the monitor probably won't want the tower. I would just sell the monitor separately, and keep the listing the way it is (while reducing price).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.