Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryansebiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
I'm trying to connect my 2012 11" MacBook Air to my Panasonic p60st60 1080p plasma HDTV using a new Monoprice Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter & 6' HDMI cable.

My TV displays a "No signal" message and my Mac does not show a secondary display option under System Preferences > Displays. I thought it was a handshake issue so I turned off the TV and Mac, turned on the TV, turned on the Mac, but the problem persists.

Any ideas to get this working? Thank you.

kemperman

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2009
UK
Pretty sure you need a thunderbolt to hdmi. Not mini displayport.

That should fix the problem

Verix

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010
Try shutting down, insert the cables, boot up. If it doesn't work, reboot with the cables plugged in (and the TV on the correct input of course). If there's no signal getting through there's something wrong.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I'm trying to connect my 2012 11" MacBook Air to my Panasonic p60st60 1080p plasma HDTV using a new Monoprice Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter & 6' HDMI cable.

My TV displays a "No signal" message and my Mac does not show a secondary display option under System Preferences > Displays. I thought it was a handshake issue so I turned off the TV and Mac, turned on the TV, turned on the Mac, but the problem persists.

Any ideas to get this working? Thank you.

I have a similar problem with my 2010 11" MBA. I don't get any signal on my HDTV when I plug in my mDP-to-HDMI cable. The TV actually flickers a lot (black and white) when I turn on the mirror image setting. I have a newer 2012 MBP and an older 2008 MBP, and it works perfectly fine with both machines, using the same cable, same settings, same TV. I don't know what the issue is.

eduardrw

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2013
You are using an non apple adapter?

HDMI TV's are also sometimes very fickle and may not recognize the laptop / HDMI adapter.

heelsbigc

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2011
Wilmington, NC
I've been through a week of connection problems with my mba and tv. It can be really random what works and won't and what fixes the problem.

Try it on another tv.

Try another cable and/or another adapter.

Try connecting to the same tv with another type of cable (vga or dvi) Strangely enough, this is actually what "fixed" my issue. VGA wouldn't work, changed to hdmi and it worked, reconnected the vga and it worked again.

These machines are very flakey (the TVs and the computers). Keep trying, something will eventually work.

ryansebiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
I've been through a week of connection problems with my mba and tv. It can be really random what works and won't and what fixes the problem.

Try it on another tv.

Try another cable and/or another adapter.

Try connecting to the same tv with another type of cable (vga or dvi) Strangely enough, this is actually what "fixed" my issue. VGA wouldn't work, changed to hdmi and it worked, reconnected the vga and it worked again.

These machines are very flakey (the TVs and the computers). Keep trying, something will eventually work.

That worked! Very flaky indeed. Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.