Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CooKieMoNs7eR

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
I know I have no proof to show you guys, but I work at Metro PCS, and I'm not even supposed to tell you this, but we just got the update from the big Metro guys that the iPhone 5 will come to Metro PCS on July 1st, I wish I have some kind of proof to show you but that's all I know for now.

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
Yay. However I switched from them because When tethering data certain apps told me the signal strength was too weak. Might consider them in the future if the signal improves like it has with Tmobile. I think with them combined there is going to be great signal strength to come.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
We really need a network subforum. There's lots of network discussion in the iphone forum and I'm not interested in wading through it. Beyond that most of it is international to me.

CooKieMoNs7eR

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
iPhone 5 on $60 4G unlimited talk/text/web, you can't beat that!

plus I can get employee discount :D:D:D

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan

I'm not too confident in MetroPCS' "4G" speeds

----------

AT&T (NYSE:T) can claim the U.S. LTE speed title with its customers enjoying average download speeds of 13 Mbps, far outpacing data speeds experienced by customers of its leading LTE rivals. Regional operator MetroPCS (NYSE:pCS), on the other hand, limped along in last place with LTE download speeds of 1.2 Mbps, according to an industry vendor.

http://www.fiercebroadbandwireless....s-lte-speed-race-metropcs-stumbles/2013-02-13

not sure how reliable that site is, but lol anyway

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
It only makes sense that the metroPCS iphone will be GSM based and use tmobile's network, and this will trigger tmobile to start selling the metropcs brand under its GSM network. After all - that was their plan all along IF they were to keep the metroPCS name

They intend to shut down that CDMA network and repurpose the spectrum for LTE within the next year and a half. So why would they sell a new phone under a network that they want to get people off of?

Yeezus

macrumors member
May 20, 2013

Pretty decent price for a data plan in consideration with AT&T and Verizon ... however, I am currently using T-Mobile's $30 prepaid plan with 100 mins of talk/text/web (first 5G is up to 4G speeds), so it's a toss up :)

CooKieMoNs7eR

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
It's going to be GSM not CDMA, all Metro phones will have a sim card I believe starting in the middle of the summer, not only the iPhone...as of Metro's 4G network it's really really good where I live and I do get 4G everywhere!

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
OP is right. I don't work for Metro PCS but a buddy of mine owns a store, I just text him. He also told me just now it's coming out July 1st. Interesting. I think it will be the same version TMO has, since Metro will soon switch to GSM since TMO bought Metro.

Take that for what it's worth.

CooKieMoNs7eR

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
OP is right. I don't work for Metro PCS but a buddy of mine owns a store, I just text him. He also told me just now it's coming out July 1st. Interesting. I think it will be the same version TMO has, since Metro will soon switch to GSM since TMO bought Metro.

Take that for what it's worth.
C'mon now, I wouldn't lie to you guys here at MR :D:p

mainevent3405

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2013
Pretty decent price for a data plan in consideration with AT&T and Verizon ... however, I am currently using T-Mobile's $30 prepaid plan with 100 mins of talk/text/web (first 5G is up to 4G speeds), so it's a toss up :)

Drop another $20 per month and you'd have unlimited everything! Why limit your data to only 100 min of each?

Yeezus

macrumors member
May 20, 2013
Drop another $20 per month and you'd have unlimited everything! Why limit your data to only 100 min of each?

Why would I want to drop another $20 and sign up for the $50 Simple Choice Plan that comes with unlimited talk, text, and web - only 500 MB of 4G. I am a heavy data user so I typically use from 3.5 to 4 GB of data. I have already ported my number to Google Voice, so if I do exceed my 100 minutes, I can easily use Talkatone or GV Phone by Mo+ to make additional phone calls.

Note, data is not limited to everything 100 mins of each. Talk is only 100 mins, while everything else (text, web) is unlimited. Web comes with unlimited, with the first 5 GB in 4G speeds, which is definitely a much better deal for those who use data heavily.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I know I have no proof to show you guys, but I work at Metro PCS, and I'm not even supposed to tell you this, but we just got the update from the big Metro guys that the iPhone 5 will come to Metro PCS on July 1st, I wish I have some kind of proof to show you but that's all I know for now.
T-Mobile will start selling phones in metro pcs stores starting July 1. The phones will operate on T-Mobile's network. That's why you will see the iPhone 5 in metro pcs stores.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
I'm not too confident in MetroPCS' "4G" speeds

----------

http://www.fiercebroadbandwireless....s-lte-speed-race-metropcs-stumbles/2013-02-13

not sure how reliable that site is, but lol anyway

The cities that already have LTE with T-Mobile and/or getting MetroPCS LTE spectrum added are already going to use T-Mobile's LTE as standard.

So all of Metro's smartphones that have LTE are being moved to T-Mobile LTE for T-Mobile to use the Metro LTE spectrum for their own LTE.

Complicated, but effective :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.