Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zulfonwali

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2011
Hi guys!

I am arranging to sell my base model 2012 15" MBP to my mom and want to find out a fair price for both of us.

My Qs are as follows:

1) http://www.mac2sell.net said the price of my model is $1420, Apple is selling online for $1489 refurbished. I'm planning to sell to my mom for $1350 (I'm factoring the student discount I got upon purchase). Some ebay prices are lower or higher than this, but I'm not really clear on why. Does $1350 seem like a fair price for both sides?

2) My MBP likely has some mild scratching on the case. It also has some trackpad issues that I plan on getting fixed before I hand it over to momma. Assuming the trackpad issue is effectively fixed, is the above price still fair?

3) I haven't yet activated AppleCare -- I plan to do so right before fixing the trackpad and handing the comp to Mom. Can I sell her the AppleCare at close to full price?

4) Let's say the deal with momma doesn't work out and I have to sell to an unknown buyer. Am I likely to get a much better price before June 10 than after June 10?

Thanks so much everybody!!
-z

Last edited:

MacVibe

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2009
Right now there is one of these in the refurbished Apple store for $1,449. If she wants one of those, let her buy it. Selling anything to mom is a terrible idea, especially a computer with trackpad issues. If you don't want the computer, and/or need the money, just find a buyer through the regular channels, don't get mom involved.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
AppleCare "extends" the warranty of the system from initial date of system purchase, not from date of activation.

Waiting to activate it is not gaining you anything at all, so you may as well activate it now.

In fact, the longer you wait, the more you miss out on the extended free phone support that expired 90 days after initial purchase.

glutenenvy

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
WA
If to your mom, free, she raised you ;)

or gave birth to you, or if you are still living in the basement.

It sounds like you are asking if a deadline will artificially devalue your equipment.

Repair the equipment so you are not comparing Apples and Oranges. When it is ready to trade hands lookup what resellers are willing to pay for your equipment. Its usually best to ignore ebay and auction sites on most non-collectable electronics when determining what price is fair to offload your electronics on family members.

Last edited:

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Hmmm...

Give it to her.

If she wants to throw you some money after the fact, consider it a gift.

But seriously, it's your mom.

lizardofwoz

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Australia
What's a fair price...? Seriously...? :eek:

After you have repaid the tens of thousands of dollars spent on you by your parents in raising and educating you... Sell it to her for $1.

A legal transaction that will prevent you from asking for it to be returned when greed strikes again.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
You guys aren't considering that the OP may not be able to afford a new one if he gives the old one away. That said trying to nitpick exactly how much you can get from your parents, whether you can charge for applecare after a trackpad fix, and the rest of this is just really tacky. The trackpad thing should be fixed either way prior to selling the machine, but a buyer may not be willing to absorb much of the cost of the added Applecare. It is a used machine either way. If it's nearing the end of the first year of warranty, that counts against it relative to a refurbished unit. In terms of before/after WWDC, prices do drop. In the end it's however much a buyer will pay. If it's close to the current refurbished pricing of that model, most people that are aware of the option will just buy from Apple or in some cases closeout pricing from a third party retailer.

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Did your mom charge you for the diapers that you wore as a baby? Calculating down to the penny I see.

If it was my mom, I would give it to her as a gift or even buy a new one for her.

Jedi

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
She`s your mom , the only mom you will ever have.

Do yourself a favor , give it to her with a hug !

Don`t live with regrets.

G. 

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Hi guys!

I am arranging to sell my base model 2012 15" MBP to my mom and want to find out a fair price for both of us.

Plenty of people saying you should give it to your mom for free...

If you bought it yourself with your own money that you earned yourself, and she can afford to buy it (not retired on a tiny pension), sell it to her at a decent price.

If she paid for it, obviously give it to her for free. If you paid for it with money that you borrowed from the parents and never returned, give it to her for free.

From experience, not all kids do that. I have seen kids trying to sell stuff back to their parents that the parents bought and gave to the kids for free in the first place :mad: Without even realising that they were doing something wrong.

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Plenty of people saying you should give it to your mom for free...

If you bought it yourself with your own money that you earned yourself, and she can afford to buy it (not retired on a tiny pension), sell it to her at a decent price.

If she paid for it, obviously give it to her for free. If you paid for it with money that you borrowed from the parents and never returned, give it to her for free.

From experience, not all kids do that. I have seen kids trying to sell stuff back to their parents that the parents bought and gave to the kids for free in the first place :mad: Without even realising that they were doing something wrong.

I would give it free. And if she insists on paying, charge 50 cents on the dollar which is below market but will at least leave everyone feeling good about a generous transaction.

Jedi Master

macrumors regular
What's a fair price?

Hi guys!

My Qs are as follows:

1) http://www.mac2sell.net said the price of my model is $1420, Apple is selling online for $1489 refurbished. I'm planning to sell to my mom for $1350 (I'm factoring the student discount I got upon purchase). Some ebay prices are lower or higher than this, but I'm not really clear on why. Does $1350 seem like a fair price for both sides?

2) My MBP likely has some mild scratching on the case. It also has some trackpad issues that I plan on getting fixed before I hand it over to momma. Assuming the trackpad issue is effectively fixed, is the above price still fair?

3) I haven't yet activated AppleCare -- I plan to do so right before fixing the trackpad and handing the comp to Mom. Can I sell her the AppleCare at close to full price?

4) Let's say the deal with momma doesn't work out and I have to sell to an unknown buyer. Am I likely to get a much better price before June 10 than after June 10?

Thanks so much everybody!!
-z

What's a fair price?.......

Free, comes to mind!

Jed

macs4nw

macrumors 601
She`s your mom , the only mom you will ever have.
Do yourself a favor , give it to her with a hug! Don`t live with regrets.
G. 

If to your mom, free, she raised you ;)

Selling anything to your parents is tacky.

Give it to her.
If she wants to throw you some money after the fact, consider it a gift.
But seriously, it's your mom.

this thread is sad....seriously?? your mom??
COME ON MAN!

Agreed x5. Without knowing this posters situation, I think this is depressingly sad.

After you have repaid the tens of thousands of dollars spent on you by your parents in raising and educating you.....

Probably a low estimate, but who's counting.....

Did your mom charge you for the diapers that you wore as a baby? Calculating down to the penny I see. If it was my mom, I would give it to her as a gift or even buy a new one for her.

Absolutely!!!

Hi guys!I am arranging to sell my base model 2012 15" MBP to my mom and want to find out a fair price for both of us.
My Qs are as follows:
4) Let's say the deal with momma doesn't work out and I have to sell to an unknown buyer. Am I likely to get a much better price before June 10 than after June 10? Thanks so much everybody!!-z

Trollin' much? If I find out you sold it to her, I will personally come over there, and beat you up! This mom needs a better son!

Seriously man, how can you live with yourself, selling a defective, used computer to the woman who carried you for nine months, and then raised you, and then having the gall to ask your fellow forum members if you should be so 'good' to give her a 10% or whatever, discount, so you can go out and buy a shiny new one for yourself after June 10? What if this MBP broke again after you sold it to her. How are you going to feel then?

If you can't afford to give it to her outright, then sell it locally or online. Take everyone's advise on here, and get it fixed, then give it to her with a big hug. You can never repay her, what you truly owe her.

Selling anything to your parents, or to any other close relative is generally a terrible idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.