Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mito

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Hey guys.

I have quite a huge problem. After software update which showed up on my MBA 13" 2012, Mac turned itself off after installing it. So I tried to boot it but just folder with question mark appeared, tried CMD+R but error -6003F occcured. Basically I can't do anything now, may someone help me, please?

Thanks you very much

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Try a boot to Internet Recovery with command-option-r (all three at once).

Then start Disk Util and do a repair disk on the entire disk, not just Macintosh HD.

Do you have a Time Machine or other backup we can use to restore?

Mito

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Try a boot to Internet Recovery with command-option-r (all three at once).

Then start Disk Util and do a repair disk on the entire disk, not just Macintosh HD.

Do you have a Time Machine or other backup we can use to restore?

Internet Recovery shows same error (-6003F). I have tried connecting my external hdd with Time Machine but when I select Time Machine as boot drive after 30s it shows folder with question mark.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Internet Recovery shows same error (-6003F). I have tried connecting my external hdd with Time Machine but when I select Time Machine as boot drive after 30s it shows folder with question mark.

Odd.... can you connect the TM drive then option key boot to it. That will get you to a recovery screen where you can run Disk Util.

Mito

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
I have tried that. Question mark in folder and can't acces disk utility. Looks like SSD got broken somehow

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have tried that. Question mark in folder and can't acces disk utility. Looks like SSD got broken somehow

Even if the SSD was dead, you should still be able to boot from a USB external TM backup. I think you have more serious problems. Off to the Apple Store with you! :(

Mito

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
find a friend's Mac and make one of these

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4848

then insert in yours, holding dow the option key until you see said usb.

start up from that, enter disk utility and attempt a 'repair disk' from there.

that'll tell you for sure whether your SSD is stuffed or not.

if disk repairs ok, then try repairing permissions whilst you're there.

Thank you very much guys! I have inserted USB stick with Boot camped Windows, luckily iglt was found and I could boot it. Unfortunately when I got "disk option" there was just "Disk 0 - Unlocated space - 0.0Mb", nothing more. I couldn't format, create or do anything. :( I will try the same just with OSX Usb stick but I guess the result will be same :(

k9jri

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2006
Mine failed too

Mine also failed with all of the same symptoms and error messages you encountered. The Apple Store Genius Bar tech was not able to recover the SSD either so they replaced the SSD and all was well.

Mine is the 11" 2012 Air with the 128G SSD and also has Windows 8 on a Bootcamp partition.

Mike

Hey guys.

I have quite a huge problem. After software update which showed up on my MBA 13" 2012, Mac turned itself off after installing it. So I tried to boot it but just folder with question mark appeared, tried CMD+R but error -6003F occcured. Basically I can't do anything now, may someone help me, please?

Thanks you very much

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Hey guys.

Thanks you very much
Your best bet is to take it to an Apple Store as it's still under warranty. After a quick search of the internet, that error codes seems to indicate a bad SSD.

After you get the system fixed, you can restore your data from your Time Machine backup.

halledise

macrumors 68000
Thank you very much guys! I have inserted USB stick with Boot camped Windows, luckily iglt was found and I could boot it. Unfortunately when I got "disk option" there was just "Disk 0 - Unlocated space - 0.0Mb", nothing more. I couldn't format, create or do anything. :( I will try the same just with OSX Usb stick but I guess the result will be same :(

large confusion happening here - go to an Apple Store for resolution - we cannot appear to assist you.
'Boot camped Windows' has nothing to do with the procedure as outlined, neither does 'iglit'.
there was no need to format, merely repair the entire disk from the Mac OSX Recovery Disk Assistant.

[mutters to self and drifts off]

Mito

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
large confusion happening here - go to an Apple Store for resolution - we cannot appear to assist you.
'Boot camped Windows' has nothing to do with the procedure as outlined, neither does 'iglit'.
there was no need to format, merely repair the entire disk from the Mac OSX Recovery Disk Assistant.

[mutters to self and drifts off]

Ok so Apple technician told me that he had never ever seen something like that, some chips melted, he was able to boot it from external hdd but in the OS there were quite a few strange errors and so on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.