Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
Because as long as you have intel its always nice to challenge your "skills" in a way. plus I love the looks I get when I walk into starbucks with my g3 and start playing quake III online. followed by some rendering, photoshop and forum browsing.

NaiGuy

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
Sadly I don't use my PPC for daily tasks, most of the time I'm gaming, or messing with a recent Linux Distro or something.

tbh thought when I do use them, they are still relatively powerful machines, and are plenty capable, especially for the price you can get them at today. However if you want a huge library of software, paying a lil extra for a late P4 machine or an early CoreDuo/Core2Duo Machine with Windows may tickle your fancy more.

In terms of design I feel the PPC macs were more innovative, they looked nicer then PCs of the time and even with the similarities between machines there was always a distinct difference everytime a new one was released.

In terms of power I've seen alot of Machines from there time which can't hold a candle to them, shame there not as supported as they once were. They also seem better build, I don't doubt that they have falts, look at the G5s, but alot of PCs from the early 2000s suffered from bad caps due to companies trying to be as cheep as possible. I've never seen a ppc mac with blown caps, at most a bad harddrive.

If it wasent for me wanting to play the latest games, my dual 1.0GHz MMD would be fine for me for everything I do. Light Gaming, Web surfing, watching youtube. these machines are not obsolite by any means and I feel that there users can get alot more life out of them. in one way or another.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Sadly I don't use my PPC for daily tasks, most of the time I'm gaming, or messing with a recent Linux Distro or something.

tbh thought when I do use them, they are still relatively powerful machines, and are plenty capable, especially for the price you can get them at today. However if you want a huge library of software, paying a lil extra for a late P4 machine or an early CoreDuo/Core2Duo Machine with Windows may tickle your fancy more.

In terms of design I feel the PPC macs were more innovative, they looked nicer then PCs of the time and even with the similarities between machines there was always a distinct difference everytime a new one was released.

In terms of power I've seen alot of Machines from there time which can't hold a candle to them, shame there not as supported as they once were. They also seem better build, I don't doubt that they have falts, look at the G5s, but alot of PCs from the early 2000s suffered from bad caps due to companies trying to be as cheep as possible. I've never seen a ppc mac with blown caps, at most a bad harddrive.

If it wasent for me wanting to play the latest games, my dual 1.0GHz MMD would be fine for me for everything I do. Light Gaming, Web surfing, watching youtube. these machines are not obsolite by any means and I feel that there users can get alot more life out of them. in one way or another.

iMac G5s have HUGE, HUGE issues with blown caps.

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2010
It's sad, but I have had to go away from my PPC Macs as I have development that is sold for intel based Macs. But my PPC Macs were absolutely the best. My favorite (besides my G5 Quad of course) is my G4 Sawtooth. I just loved the design of the case and the graphite color scheme.

But you know what does it for me, as a lot of others have already stated, was that it felt great to use. This PPC "feeling" does exist. It exists because the PPC architecture severed the Mac experience from the Windows experience. Listen, us PPC Mac fans had not only better looking hardware along with a better user experience (whether OS9 or OSX in my opinion) but we had a better processor in my opinion. I do not care about the specs, I used both Macs and PC's and I ran a lot of the same programs on both and my Macs were just better at the tasks than the Windows PC's. Everything was separate from the Windows world.

Once Apple switched, it just felt different. Call it what you want, but it was not the same. I definitely understand the switch and I have gotten used to the intel architecture on my Macs. They are fast and powerful. But sadly, they are not the same.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
It's sad, but I have had to go away from my PPC Macs as I have development that is sold for intel based Macs. But my PPC Macs were absolutely the best. My favorite (besides my G5 Quad of course) is my G4 Sawtooth. I just loved the design of the case and the graphite color scheme.

But you know what does it for me, as a lot of others have already stated, was that it felt great to use. This PPC "feeling" does exist. It exists because the PPC architecture severed the Mac experience from the Windows experience. Listen, us PPC Mac fans had not only better looking hardware along with a better user experience (whether OS9 or OSX in my opinion) but we had a better processor in my opinion. I do not care about the specs, I used both Macs and PC's and I ran a lot of the same programs on both and my Macs were just better at the tasks than the Windows PC's. Everything was separate from the Windows world.

Once Apple switched, it just felt different. Call it what you want, but it was not the same. I definitely understand the switch and I have gotten used to the intel architecture on my Macs. They are fast and powerful. But sadly, they are not the same.

Even if I have to change to intel Mac for any reason, I would still use my ibook. Why? Well, my G4 still works and it is very useful. It would be like my travel laptop or my 'going to meetings' laptop, since it is cheap, I wouldn't worry about it being stolen, and since thanks to my brother in law (who owns a G5) I save everything on Dropbox, I have less to worry about it someone steals it.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
I find having older versions of software on my older PPC macs has saved me a lot of headaches, when there is a feature I like on the older software that goes MIA in the newer version.

It gives me time to figure out a workaround.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I was a reluctant PPC Mac convert because of financial difficulties but am very glad that the PPC machine sare not only still around but incredible machine sthta continue to perform well. I had 2 iMacs, a MBP, along with the accompanying iOS devices and all of them had to be sold in order to pay bills. When I was able to find my iBook G4 and an iMac G5 for less than $300 total, I jumped on it since I was still going to want a compatible system with all of my file types.

I can honestly say that even though my iBook is not as powerful or as recent as the iMac and MBP that I had ti sell, it has been able to handle everything that I have thrown at it with no real issues. For an 8 year-old machine that I don't think was intended to last as long as it has, I am very impressed and will hold onto it as long as possible before buyiung a more recent machine and might even buy another PPC MAc as well.

Sebct

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
London, UK.
As someone who has been using a PPC G5 for a couple of years I can say that it has definitely done well for the money I paid. I was doing a load of design work using CS3 including web and video work also. They really are great machines for the money. You can pick them up on ebay for next to nothing.

However, I've now moved to an intel Mac Pro due to being able to run the latest software etc which is a requirement when working with some clients.

Aameiel

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2011
Cape Coral, FL
I use my Imac G4 for everyday uses. Its always been my favorite Mac !!! After some tweeking to the operating system it does everything i need it to do !! :)

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
I was a reluctant PPC Mac convert because of financial difficulties but am very glad that the PPC machine sare not only still around but incredible machine sthta continue to perform well
Heh tell me about it, I went from a unibody 15" MBP with hi-res screen to a 466Mhz Digital Audio G4 for similar reasons.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Heh tell me about it, I went from a unibody 15" MBP with hi-res screen to a 466Mhz Digital Audio G4 for similar reasons.

Are you finding that it does all you need it to as well? I know when I have the money that I will go back to the Intel versions because I like having more power, but the fact that I was able to connect a modern bluetooth keyboard and a magic mouse to it with no difficulties makes me want to hold onto this machine until it dies.

grockk

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
I'm amazed that my 12" PB on reduced settings running tenfourfox does everything I need on the web, plays video in quicktime or youview perfect, Office 2008 and iWork 09 can open all modern document formats. Totally capable machine.

Since the computer is hardly worth anything when selling it, only a complete hardware failure will make us part ways.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
I have rotated out of a bunch of PPC Macs over the past 10 years. I have settled with 2 G5s, one of which is going to be sold soon. I use my Dual Core G5 to run my weather station, using Lightsoft Weather Center for Mac for my Vantage Pro 2. It is always running and transmits weather data to Weather Underground, NOAA, and CWOP, among others.

Technology and software for weather stations hasn't changed much over the years, so there is really no need to upgrade hardware (besides power efficiency/cost, but that isn't really a problem). The G5 handles everything, and I store years worth of data on it. I could probably use less hardware wise, but the G4 really struggled with radar programs for forecasting. With an SSD and the 7800GT, this G5 is still PLENTY capable!

Also, the G5 is just a great machine...definitely one of the most unique computers I have bought.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
What keeps me attached is that it's still doing the job I need it to do. I run an attendance book and iTunes on it. It's good enough for any web browsing I need to do.

I suppose at some point it won't be able to do what I need it to do and it will be retired. Until that point, there is no reason at all for me to abandon any of my working PowerPC systems (although my Intel Mac mini handles everything the PPC ones can't).

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
3947070-g1335873246724378224.jpg

Reactions: eyoungren

oi!

Suspended
Jan 10, 2016
True!

OK, so this thread's been revived now, so...
It used to be such an easy question to answer, money, there was no way I could run to a Mac Pro so PPC was the only option.
But now Mac Pro prices have dropped to the point when I can afford to buy 1, so I did!!

Now it sits (gathering dust, and occasionally laundry) next to the G5 (PCIe dual 2.0Ghz) that I also ignore in favor of a still too noisy MDD that is less than perfectly stable.

So why do I still use PPC (and especially this one)?

Err, insanity?

Actually I prefer the look and feel of the Mirror Door over the Cheese Grater, and the MDD had 1 more optical drive bay than the G5. The same number as the Mac Pro, actually.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I just wanted to add, that 2006 MacBook Pro I mentioned at the start of this page lasted 10 years. The first component failed on it earlier this year, the backlight. Apart from that everything still worked, even the screen if you pointed a torch at it.

I think that puts the "PPC was built better" argument to death, the first ever 17" Intel MacBook Pro lasted 10 years. I used it every single day until it was handed off to the wife where she used it every single day until its backlight failed.

Simone.m

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2014
Venice, Italy
My daily driver until November '15 was a 12" PB G4, now it sits in a drawer and left the place to a modern early 2011 MBP with upgraded RAM and SSD.
Sometimes I switch the PB up and i regret not using it anymore.. it's beautiful to play Halo, edit some photos with Photoshop CS2 on a proper matt screen, I hate the glossy screen of the MBP because in some offices it becomes unusable.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Aren't we all Necroposters with our 10 year and older machines ... ;)
[doublepost=1466364493][/doublepost]To answer the tread-starter ... :)
1) Nostalgia & feels good
2) Costs (for the price of my stolen MBair11" (sniff) I can easily get a dozen of iBooks or PowerBooks ... AND - haha - nobody would even think about stealing them... to heavy and clumsy for todays hipsters)
3) Nearly everything I need works on my PB-G4 - except from the stuff I do ;) with my iPhone or MacBook2008 or even newer Macs (Video, Photos, mass-scanning&OCR) ...

Last edited:

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Still on my PowerMac G5 Quad, uhhhmmn, I am just not inclined to touch anything Windows. I even code Visual C++ on my Quad thru VNC. And I have no use for any modern software. My mac mini running ElCap is being used by my 2-year old son, and for me ElCap just don't feel right to my liking.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
While my 09 Pro handles almost everything, I'm drawn back to my little horde of PPCs for Classic software. As of late I'm particularly interested in giving my photography and other art a low-fi; by today's standards, look.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
While my 09 Pro handles almost everything, I'm drawn back to my little horde of PPCs for Classic software. As of late I'm particularly interested in giving my photography and other art a low-fi; by today's standards, look.

Can you expand on that - as one of the things I enjoyed when working as a designer using PPC, was that the end product was indiscernible from something made with a state of the art machine?

Reactions: oi!
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.