Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
This, seriously. I have a 64GB model, and while it's useable for the most part, I can't believe I had to wait for the Music app to bring up a list for 50GB of music.

Perhaps you've updated your 4th gen to iOS 6? Mine is still on 5.1.1 and have takes only 0.5 second to load up my music library. From the numerous accounts I've seen, for most part iOS 6 doesn't run that well on the 4th gen, mainly due to the shortage of RAM.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Perhaps you've updated your 4th gen to iOS 6? Mine is still on 5.1.1 and have takes only 0.5 second to load up my music library. From the numerous accounts I've seen, for most part iOS 6 doesn't run that well on the 4th gen, mainly due to the shortage of RAM.

Nope, I'm on 5.1.1 as well. With playlists that only have a few hundred songs, the loading is near-instantaneous, but when I had some thousands of songs in mine, it took some time to load.

One time, Music even crashed.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
In what situation would a 4th gen be more worthy? How about as a family remote for an entertainment system?

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Nope, I'm on 5.1.1 as well. With playlists that only have a few hundred songs, the loading is near-instantaneous, but when I had some thousands of songs in mine, it took some time to load.

One time, Music even crashed.

Wow that bad? Mine still doing fine, but only over 2K songs, so maybe I'm not experiencing the lag YET. I'm still intending to use it for 3-4 more years if possible.:)

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
In what situation would a 4th gen be more worthy? How about as a family remote for an entertainment system?

I'm not familiar of any other remote apps, other than the app for controlling iTunes.

Of course, this is assuming you already have a Touch. It would be a waste of money to buy a brand-new Touch just for using as a remote.

----------

Wow that bad? Mine still doing fine, but only over 2K songs, so maybe I'm not experiencing the lag YET. I'm still intending to use it for 3-4 more years if possible.:)

Yeah, it was annoying. A less inclusive playlist was pretty much the only way around that issue.

As for another 3 years or so, be ready to service the battery. I've had mine for just over two years now (got it on Christmas Eve two years ago) and it won't last too long on a charge now. Granted, I've used mine for almost every day of the year, so it was bound to happen.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
I'm not familiar of any other remote apps, other than the app for controlling iTunes.

Of course, this is assuming you already have a Touch. It would be a waste of money to buy a brand-new Touch just for using as a remote.

I see, thanks for the info... Seems like iPod touch 5 is better in every way.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
There is no point in buying a 4th gen. - none at all. It's seriously outdated and slow now.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Actually, would I be crazy to believe that Apple won't upgrade the iPod touch this year so that the numbers match the iPhone? If that were true, then the iPod Touch is really worth it since you'll get to keep the latest iPod Touch for 2 years...

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
I got an 32GB iPod touch 4 when I was 14, I am now 16 and I own a 64GB iPod touch 5 (As well as a lot of other apple products, see signature) , I really recommend you save for the 5, its an amazing device! Plus you're 19, you can get a job pretty easily, and that would make it a lot easier to save up :)

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
i have a 4G and ive seen the 5G from a friend.

personally, i love the look and feel of the 4G. just like the iphone 5, the 5G looks cheap and prone to scratches and bends.

Has anyone else had that idea? I thought they were both pretty solid, but haven't gotten to use either too much yet.

Davejprince

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
The Netherlands
I seriously do dislike the 4th generation, it's easily scratchable, looks relatively cheap, and the screen size is "small" compared to the fifth generation.
The 5 costs some more, but it is really worth it to have the top notch iPod Touch with better internals than an outdated 4th gen with an easy scratchable device with a smaller and "uglier" screen.
Hope my reply helped you deciding =)

Dave,

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I seriously do dislike the 4th generation, it's easily scratchable, looks relatively cheap, and the screen size is "small" compared to the fifth generation.
The 5 costs some more, but it is really worth it to have the top notch iPod Touch with better internals than an outdated 4th gen with an easy scratchable device with a smaller and "uglier" screen.

Dave,

Agreed. 5th gen is a nice step up from the 4th gen. Bigger Screen, More RAM, better camera and the dual core A5 vs the single core A4.

4Gs hardware today shows its date because it can certainly struggle with keeping up on some of the newer apps, especially games. The 256MB ram is another major limitation.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I hate my 4G iPod Touch that I got last year. It is slow laggy crash peace of junk. Waste of money and I should waited to get the 5G iPod Touch. I will be upgrading soon though just getting the courage to do so.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012

Dave,

Umm, agree to disagree. Ipod touch 4th gen doesn't look cheap, it actually look more durable and expensvie compare with the 5th. The only scratchable part was the back and u can easily put a hard case on and problem solve. Materials used on Touch 5 feel cheap, ur finger nails alone can scratch both the front and back!!. U can't put hard case on cause it will scratch the corner, the soft case could make the back scratches.

Overall, i think touch 5 would be perfect if it made with touch 4 form factor.

Sidizen

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2013
5g iPod Touch. You have probably already gotten one, so this my response is absolute, but I just want to say something. My iPod touch 4g is almost unusable. Don't ever buy it, but instead get a kindle fire if price is the issue. Some games can't be played on he iPod touch 4g because it is so lag hy and bad. I want an iPod touch 5g, but my mom keeps telling me that their is no difference. Of course, I can't explain to her that is has the A5 chip which is way better than the A4. The 5 also has siri and more ram, and EVERY SINGLE GAME RUNS SMOOTHLY!!!!

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.

Dave,

the 4G looks cheap?

have you ever had one?

its stainless steel and glass. there is nothing cheap about it.

and its first and foremost a portable music player it has to be robust and have a practical size.

if i could chose between the two models (4G and 5G) with identical internals i would certainly go for the 4G.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
the 4G looks cheap?

have you ever had one?

and its first and foremost a portable music player it has to be robust and have a practical size.

if i could chose between the two models (4G and 5G) with identical internals i would certainly go for the 4G.

He didn't say it WAS cheap, he said it LOOKS cheap, and when compared to the 5th Generation it does.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
i see this is turning into a who shot first, greedo or han solo argument.

i will take my leave from the ipod touch forums now and not return for a week or two. ill be at the jailbreak section if you need me.

My apologies if you interpreted my comment as an insult or a slick remark, it wasn't intended that way.

Just pointing out a detail is all, no harm intended.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
I have an iPod Touch 4th Gen. It lags and stutters. Don't get it unless it's a steal. Well, even then, your smart phone is probably better.

Davejprince

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
The Netherlands
the 4G looks cheap?

have you ever had one?

If you want a fragile, easy scratched small screen device with a horrible quality, sure.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
I have an iPod Touch 4th Gen. It lags and stutters. Don't get it unless it's a steal. Well, even then, your smart phone is probably better.

Out of curiosity, what all of you doing with your ipod touch's since so many of you complaining about how its "lags, slow, unusable, and so..." ?

I don't have any plans getting new ipod touch any time soon, still happy with my 3G touch :)
im using it mainly for music, basic net surfing, itunes remote and games - aka casual use...

I can see why some of you like to have the newer model coz of the camera, but then i will get iphone... same with internet connection, if i would have the need for 24\7 access... don't see the point of carrying 2 machines in my pocket all the time... and just to make it clear - i dont have iphone or any other smart phone.

People forgetting that the main use for ipod's is music player, and im guessing this is way many having complains, coz they cant run the latest games, apps and so... if this is your main use for it, you should grab yourself iphone\smart phone or ipad...

Last edited:

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Out of curiosity, what all of you doing with your ipod touch's since so many of you complaining about how its "lags, slow, unusable, and so..." ?

I don't have any plans getting new ipod touch any time soon, still happy with my 3G touch :)
im using it mainly for music, basic net surfing, itunes remote and games - aka casual use...

I can see why some of you like to have the newer model coz of the camera, but then i will get iphone... same with internet connection, if i would have the need for 24\7 access... don't see the point of carrying 2 machines in my pocket all the time... and just to make it clear - i dont have iphone or any other smart phone.

People forgetting that the main use for ipod's is music player, and im guessing this is way many having complains, coz they cant run the latest games, apps and so... if this is your main use for it, you should grab yourself iphone or ipad...

IPads are great but iphones meh...

It sucks trying to keep your phone stuff in the same device as music collection, videos pictures etc.

I'd need a minimum 64gb iphone to pull that off with a lot of extensive music management.

I'll stick with a high end Android and ipod touch for music, games, occasional photos when I don't have my phone, and the occasional "not yet on Android" app

That way I get the best phone and the best media player

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
You guys do know that he actually got a 5th gen 5 months ago, right?

You are actually reading forum threads and not just going in and posting "I love my apple stuff and this is why", right? Right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.