Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Hi,
I had message come up on my mbpr saying another is using your IP address. It is connected with ethernet. Now my imac on wifi and my sonos rdio won't connect. Macbook and iPad/iphone all work on wifi. I have reset modem powered off everything but no luck.
Any ideas?
Cheers

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Hi,
I had message come up on my mbpr saying another is using your IP address. It is connected with ethernet. Now my imac on wifi and my sonos rdio won't connect. Macbook and iPad/iphone all work on wifi. I have reset modem powered off everything but no luck.
Any ideas?
Cheers

If there is a conflict, the first mode of order is to see if you can get them to get along. Conflict will likely not solve anything. They have to work this out.

Do any of your devices have static IP addresses on them? Any printers, other computers, etc.? It sounds like a device owns an IP that is in the DHCP range. You will need to look at your router configuration and perhaps change the range after looking at the device in question.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
All of my macs, idevices are working on wifi perfectly, just can't play rdio on my Sonos system. Says unable to play music.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
All of my macs, idevices are working on wifi perfectly, just can't play rdio on my Sonos system. Says unable to play music.

Again, you should look inside the router or the Sonos for resolving this, all devices on your network should be set to DHCP, in the router make sure there are sufficient IP addresses available, it might be set to only a short range of IP addresses.
Example, it only gives out a maximum of 10 IP addresses if it is set that way, for instance 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.11, if you then connect more than 10 IP addresses you might/will get conflicts.
Look if the Sonos setting is set to DHCP.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
In the net gear genie it shows 15 devices including the Sonos ones. I can play music on this iPad/iphone. just can't play rdio or radio. How do i set to DHCP?

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
In the net gear genie it shows 15 devices including the Sonos ones. I can play music on this iPad/iphone. just can't play rdio or radio. How do i set to DHCP?

Sonos won't help you wrt IP Addreses. They all look to the DHCP server to provide these. if you have a Netgear router, then check the assignments there.

There is a simple way to check this. Turn everything off that gets an IP address - yes, everything.
Then turn them on in this order :

1. Router or modem and then router.
2. Switches
3. WiFi access points
4. LAN connected items
5. WiFi connected items.

Wait 2 mins between each step for boot up to complete.

Before you do that, try and list the IP addresses of all connected devices.
Then check the router's assignments of IP addresses. How long is the lease time ? It should be a day, not longer. Have you any reserved IP addresses ?

After all this compare the list of IP addresses with the previous list. What's changed ?

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Sonos won't help you wrt IP Addreses. They all look to the DHCP server to provide these. if you have a Netgear router, then check the assignments there.

There is a simple way to check this. Turn everything off that gets an IP address - yes, everything.

2. Switches
3. WiFi access points
4. LAN connected items
5. WiFi connected items.

I have done that 3 times still won't work.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos

2. Switches
3. WiFi access points
4. LAN connected items
5. WiFi connected items.

I have done that 3 times still won't work.

Then it sounds like a Sonos problem. Does everything else work ? Can you play tracks from a local music source through a Sonos unit ? Have you posted your problem on the Sonos forum site ?

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Then it sounds like a Sonos problem. Does everything else work ? Can you play tracks from a local music source through a Sonos unit ? Have you posted your problem on the Sonos forum site ?

The guys at Sonos support got it sorted, something to do with the IP address's in the Netgear.

I could play music from this iPhone/ipad but not Rdio or Radio.

Sonos Support is A1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.