Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rayjay86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Hi
Not sure what section this was supposed to go in so forgive me.

I've dabbled with the idea of an ATV or Roku with a NAS etc. and in the end it boiled down to budget. What I'm thinking of doing now is just having a cheap netbook for about $150 that I have permanently connected to my TV via HDMI and have my 2TB HDD connected to that. I'll have Plex running on the netbook and will be able to watch stuff from the HDD on the TV through the Plex app.

Does anyone know if something like that will work? I can set up the netbook to be on the local network so that I can wirelessly put files on the HDD when I need to (new tv shows, etc.) and then I dont have to both with connecting and disconnecting the computer from the TV whenever I want to watch something.

Just want to know if that will work and if so what specs roughly will I need as a minimum on a netbook?

rayjay86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Thanks!

Any idea on what kind of specs on a cheap netbook I would need? As long as it had HDMI? What kind of video card would it need?

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
Thanks!

Any idea on what kind of specs on a cheap netbook I would need? As long as it had HDMI? What kind of video card would it need?

it would be extremely inconvenient to get up and walk to TV every time you want to change/RW/Pause/FF.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Op you would be better off grabbing a roku3 and a USB hdd.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Hi
Not sure what section this was supposed to go in so forgive me.

I've dabbled with the idea of an ATV or Roku with a NAS etc. and in the end it boiled down to budget. What I'm thinking of doing now is just having a cheap netbook for about $150 that I have permanently connected to my TV via HDMI and have my 2TB HDD connected to that. I'll have Plex running on the netbook and will be able to watch stuff from the HDD on the TV through the Plex app.

Does anyone know if something like that will work? I can set up the netbook to be on the local network so that I can wirelessly put files on the HDD when I need to (new tv shows, etc.) and then I dont have to both with connecting and disconnecting the computer from the TV whenever I want to watch something.

Just want to know if that will work and if so what specs roughly will I need as a minimum on a netbook?

Not sure why you'd choose a netbook. There are cheaper options if that's the main concern, eg as suggested Roku + HDD.

I have a (headless) mini running 24/7, plus ATVs connected to the TV sets. My iPhone is my remote and any other (Mac) computer can be used to administer the mini as/when required.

A little more expensive, but flawless! #

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.