Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

georgebrock

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2008
I've created a little free app that helps create custom folder icons and apply them to folders. It's pretty simple at the moment, but I'm hoping to add a lot more features.

screenshot.png

You can get it from www.iconicosx.com

Any feedback or feature requests appreciated :)

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
does anyone know how to make an icon that has all the sizes for column/list view, icon view, and Cover Flow inside the .ico file and then apply that to a generic folder? does your app do this?

cool app georgebrock!

georgebrock

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2008
Thanks richthomas :)

My app does create all the sizes (512, 256, 128, 32 and 16 pixels). At the moment it'll resize your source image to fit on to each size, bevel it and then add it to the icon. You can tell it not to modify the smallest version used in list and column view in the preferences (most of my test images just looked like a smudge when scaled down that small). As with any image editing, scaling up always makes the image look worse so you should use a 512 by 512 pixel image for the best results. In the next version I'm hoping to include an interface that will let you use a different source image for each size.

Alternatively, if you want a bit more control over your images, you can create an icon using "Icon Composer". You'll need to install the developer tools from your OS X install DVD (possibly on disc 2 if you're using the install discs that came with your Mac). You can then find Icon Composer in /Developer/Applications/Utilities/.

sharky05

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2007
georgebrock, thanks very much for Iconic - it's saved me a load of time messing round with img2icns, icns2rsc, iconDroplet etc. Mentioned it in my blog.

Knalex

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2008
How do you use them for certain folders? The only pgr I know about is Candybar, and I'm pretty sure that it isn't possible to do this task..

AppleGuy RL

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2009
Update: 1.1

Hey guys,
i've made an update of the icons:

Added:
• Edit icon
• Exclamation Mark icon
• Games icon
• Question Mark icon
• The name of the maker (Me=Robin Lefevere)
Changed:
• Apple icon
• Finder icon
• iPhone icon
• iPod icon
• Led Cinema Display icon
• Making a Folder icon
• Minus icon
• Plus icon
• Star icon
• Upload icon
• "Special" to "Star"

Download Links:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LQDUAHQP
or
http://rapidshare.com/files/216971078/Custom_Folder_Icons.zip.html

Have Suggestions?
Send To:
lefevere.robin@yahoo.com
(Please don't send spam)

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Guys. Try img2icns. Works like a hot damn. :cool:
I like Icon Composer myself: free, an official app from Apple and it lets me use different images for different size version of the same icon. For example, I have created a custom "Downloads" folder icon. The large versions have a white arrow pointing down into a stylized white iMac on a background of a green circle. For the really small versions, I used the small version of the default "Downloads" icon. In Finder's sidebar or toolbar, I only get an arrow in a green circle, no iMac. It would be impossible to see a complicated drawing at 16 by 16 pixel size, so it would look ugly.

I've gone through a similar process for my Music and Documents icons, as well.

Benguitar

Jan 30, 2009
I've created a little free app that helps create custom folder icons and apply them to folders. It's pretty simple at the moment, but I'm hoping to add a lot more features.

screenshot.png

You created that?! It is a fabulous idea except the only problem I found was it doesn't handle color images well. If it could change the image from color to black/white so it will look good then that would be terrific.

AppleGuy RL

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2009
It's a good app but...

screenshot.png

that app is an great idea but if i put an image it isnt so good at all,
maybe you have to make an update.:)

look:
25fk1oj.jpg

It only works with Black white pictures.

this is what i've made:
1yvm88.jpg

sorry but it's dutch

ChoPraTs

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2009
Madrid, Spain
Thanks but... I don't know why now, with the latest versions of Pixelmator, this doesn't work well. It seems that the template looses some effects.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.