Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chodite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD
While I'm just about fully converted from iOS Land, one thing frustrating me is Notifications on my new S4. Twitter, FB mentions, FB Page Manager and even text messages are my biggest gripes. Inconsistency is my main issue. Sometimes Twitter mentions will appear in my notifications bar, sometimes they won't. Notifications are enabled in each of these apps.

Another related issue: how in the blue hell can I get these notifications to appear on my lock screen when the screen is not turned on?! I can't, for the life of me, figure this out. The biggest issue being text messages. I'm mainly sticking with GO SMS Pro as my default texting app, and again - inconsistency when it comes to being alerted to new messages, specifically when the screen is turned off.

Am I the only one with this issue? Any help is much appreciated.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
While I'm just about fully converted from iOS Land, one thing frustrating me is Notifications on my new S4. Twitter, FB mentions, FB Page Manager and even text messages are my biggest gripes. Inconsistency is my main issue. Sometimes Twitter mentions will appear in my notifications bar, sometimes they won't. Notifications are enabled in each of these apps.

Another related issue: how in the blue hell can I get these notifications to appear on my lock screen when the screen is not turned on?! I can't, for the life of me, figure this out. The biggest issue being text messages. I'm mainly sticking with GO SMS Pro as my default texting app, and again - inconsistency when it comes to being alerted to new messages, specifically when the screen is turned off.

With the screen turned off and on stock firmware, you will only be able to get the led notification light. For information about sms, email, upcoming calendar events, download Dashclock from the play store. This will go onto your lockscreen, so a quick tap of the home button will give you the info you want.

As for various app settings and notifications, Touchwiz is probably overriding app tones and notifications, which means you need to use TW settings only or turn off TW notificatiins and let the apps do their thing.
This is why I hate TW and only use custom roms. Samsung suck at software.

Chodite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD
With the screen turned off and on stock firmware, you will only be able to get the led notification light. For information about sms, email, upcoming calendar events, download Dashclock from the play store. This will go onto your lockscreen, so a quick tap of the home button will give you the info you want.

As for various app settings and notifications, Touchwiz is probably overriding app tones and notifications, which means you need to use TW settings only or turn off TW notificatiins and let the apps do their thing.
This is why I hate TW and only use custom roms. Samsung suck at software.

Just installed Dashclock. Thanks for the tip!

And yeah, I'm loving Nova Prime launcher over Touchwiz. Really hate how the phone maker and the OS aren't just one, ya know? Spoiled by Apple in that regard.

Chodite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Another question about Notifications. I've got Go SMS Pro as my default texting app. I get the notification that I've received a message. I usually then just Clear All on the Notifications screen or manually swipe the message to remove it from the Notifications page. I still continue to get notifications for the same message. Do I need to manually open the message to stop these notifications?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
NiLS Notifications Lock Screen is also worth checking out in the Play Store.

Attachments

• unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    106.8 KB · Views: 698

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Another question about Notifications. I've got Go SMS Pro as my default texting app. I get the notification that I've received a message. I usually then just Clear All on the Notifications screen or manually swipe the message to remove it from the Notifications page. I still continue to get notifications for the same message. Do I need to manually open the message to stop these notifications?

You probably have go sms set for repeat notifications

I've had the same problem with Go SMS. I do have repeat notifications set but that should only apply to unread messages, and even then, it's inconsistent--sometimes I clear the notification without reading the actual message in app and it doesn't repeat, other times it does. Same goes for actually reading the message in app--sometimes that ends the notification, other times it doesn't. I cannot see a consistent pattern but still use it over the stock Messaging app due to the MMS size restrictions in the stock app (300kb limit, really?).

Messaging is still an area of weakness for Android that needs vast improvement. And if Shadow Puppy replies with a suggestion to use Hangouts I'm going to virtual smack him upside the head. ;)

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint

Im not a fan of all the Go Launcher/SMS/crapola stuff. Google Voice or now Hangouts is a universal texting/video chat Google service that stays with your Google account, so it is always available to you when you upgrade phones, use a computer, need to review an old chat session, etc. An integrated API is always better than relying on a 3rd party API... IMO anyway. I use Google's services for everything I can.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Im not a fan of all the Go Launcher/SMS/crapola stuff. Google Voice or now Hangouts is a universal texting/video chat Google service that stays with your Google account, so it is always available to you when you upgrade phones, use a computer, need to review an old chat session, etc. An integrated API is always better than relying on a 3rd party API... IMO anyway. I use Google's services for everything I can.

:rolleyes:, beat Shadow Puppy to it...

Sorry but not a viable replacement until Hangouts integrates SMS messaging.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
:rolleyes:, beat Shadow Puppy to it...

Sorry but not a viable replacement until Hangouts integrates SMS messaging.

Don't know who shadow puppy is, but what do you mean Hangouts doesn't have integrated SMS? I text with it every day. :confused: I don't get what you mean?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Don't know who shadow puppy is, but what do you mean Hangouts doesn't have integrated SMS? I text with it every day. :confused: I don't get what you mean?

So I can message anyone in my contacts list (regardless if they have a google account) and if it's unable to send the message via Hangouts it will send them an SMS text automatically instead? If so, I stand corrected.

Chodite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD
So I can message anyone in my contacts list (regardless if they have a google account) and if it's unable to send the message via Hangouts it will send them an SMS text automatically instead? If so, I stand corrected.

I'd LOVE confirmation of this...

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

Download notification lockcreen widget

You get all what you want on your lock screen..it's very good

Dam1991

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2014
Galaxy note I717

Dear Admin,

I have problem with my phone. I want to customize toggle in notification panel.

I go setting -> Device -> Display ..... but not found notification panel.
What can I do?

1939681_717929111580596_326935777_n.jpg

Thank you and best regards,
Dam1991 :)

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005

I'm thinking he means like Apple's iMessage, where the app is smart enough to know when to send a message as SMS or when to send as a Google Hangouts message based on looking up the phone number in Google's database.

Hangouts may have some of this functionality now, but is not as fully integrated as Apple's implementation.

khha4113

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2013
Dear Admin,

I have problem with my phone. I want to customize toggle in notification panel.

I go setting -> Device -> Display ..... but not found notification panel.
What can I do?

View attachment 465101

Thank you and best regards,
Dam1991 :)

On my GS4, the 'Notification Panel' is above 'Auto-rotation screen' option. It's on the section 'General'.

Screenshot%2B-%2B1

khha4113

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2013
But in General there is only wallpaper :(
How can i do it?

Can you 'long press' on the button you want to change to see it can be moved. I used to do that on my old S2 (I think) to show which one I want to see first when I open notification panel.

fsession16

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2014
black bootcut jeans for women

Oh yeah yes. I have got ordered components in Fsession and i also was pleased. I had ordered other shop but no shop made me felt satisfied before. Then my not many good friends said make an effort with http://www.fsession.com Plus I genuinely happy. Bargain-priced asking price, the quality is superb. Mind-set care of Fsession is fairly enormously great. In addition to the important and vital: The fashions at Fsession are quite good-looking with cool type. I become these products on-time or earlier than some time I purchased.

If only in the past I realized Fsession sooner to have good choice in my situation.

But you, I do think in addition, you need with Fsession as i am.

black bootcut jeans for women

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.