Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_tv_interface_2012-250x160.jpg
At the D11: All Things Digital conference in Rancho Palos Verdes, California, Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher sat down with Apple CEO Tim Cook to ask him questions on a number of topics. The discussion unsurprisingly included the much rumored Apple branded television set and the overall TV experience, which Cook said "could be better."

When questioned about whether or not content deals were holding up the possibility of an Apple television, Cook declined to comment, but he did reiterate that television is an area of intense interest for Apple.
I don't want to go into detail, but it continues to be an area of great interest for us. The product and relationships we've built provide a lot more knowledge than we would have otherwise. And popularity has been larger than we thought, and we aren't marketing it.
Cook again declined to comment when pressed once more about Apple's future television plans, but he did confirm that there is a "grand vision" in place.

After Walter Isaacson's biography of Steve Jobs was published with a passage on Jobs' desire to revolutionize the television industry, speculation about a possible Apple "iTV" ramped up.

Rumors flew about the iTV throughout 2012, but slowed down towards the end of the year as no solid hints about the product materialized, and few additional details have emerged. Most recently, an April rumor suggested that a 60-inch iTV might launch in late 2013.

During the interview Cook also revealed that interest in the current Apple TV remains strong, with 13 million total set top boxes sold all together. Cook's full commentary can be found in our coverage, available here.

Article Link: Tim Cook at D11: Apple Television - There is a Grand Vision

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit

Unfortunately for Tim, xbox one beat them to the punch. All Apple can do is get a couple network deals and lay their UI on the TV experience. If they are allowed to BE the cable provider, it will be an improvement over the xbox and will be amazing, but we know that is not happening.

:apple:

I seriously hope we are not forced to buy a new TV either.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I agree with Cook - I really like my :apple:TV, but I don't love it, not the way I love iOS devices or macs. It's a good product, but the interface could be better (gotta drill down like 6 menus to get to a netflix show you want to watch), and, of course, it's still an auxiliary product, not a replacement for the TV interface provided by a cable provider. Good start, long way to go.

iisdan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010

Unfortunately for Tim, xbox one beat them to the punch. All Apple can do is get a couple network deals and lay their UI on the TV experience. If they are allowed to BE the cable provider, it will be an improvement over the xbox and will be amazing, but we know that is not happening.

Microsoft never "beat them to the punch" they simply have fast switching between things. Cable/Satellite is outdated, I canceled my subscription 3 years ago, I don't want the hassle of having to watch things when they want to play it. The winner will be who can easily get to and play content the fastest & easiest

rizzo41999

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2009
MA
Cook, you're so lame. Only iPad/iPhone updates, and one computer update (iMac) for the past two years. You're making Apple stale. Stop talking and more doing please.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I agree with Cook - I really like my :apple:TV, but I don't love it, not the way I love iOS devices or macs. It's a good product, but the interface could be better (gotta drill down like 6 menus to get to a netflix show you want to watch), and, of course, it's still an auxiliary product, not a replacement for the TV interface provided by a cable provider. Good start, long way to go.

Xbox One is just like Google TV in regards to the TV portion.

Its not what people want.

xionxiox

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Hell

I'm pretty sure the Xbox One is one of the most publicly hated announcements in Microsoft's history...

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Unfortunately for Tim, xbox one beat them to the punch.

Xbox didn't "beat" anyone to anything. Xbox was and still is a lousy TV platform - it is still controlling your Cable/Sat box with IR repeaters, like it's 2002. And it has no visibility to your DVR recording. This is not the future of TV, it's the past.

Renzatic

Suspended
I'm pretty sure the Xbox One is one of the most publicly hated announcements in Microsoft's history...

Everything MS does is hated these days. They'll announce something new, people will proclaim it as crap on messageboards, and you'll see tons of 10 page writeups as to why MS is no longer relevant on various tech blogs.

Then word of mouth kicks in, and things start moving. It sells slowly at first, then picks up momentum, and after all is said and done, they've sold millions of the thing.

It's the way the tech world works. MS is the company who can do no right. Apple...well...they used to be the company who could do no wrong, but recently people have been beating on them almost as much as MS. Now Google is the new golden child. Pretty soon, MS'll do something neat enough to really get everyone's attention, and will be the heralded as the scrappy billion dollar underdog.

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
Xbox did beat Apple in showing the world how voice control can be used on a TV. It will not be magical anymore...

jim.arrows

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2006
Apps, apps, apps...

If they don't announce 3rd party apps at WWDC I will have finally lost my faith in them and begin believing they have lost their way. They have thus far squandered the opportunity to establish a dominant position in the TV app market (a la the IOS app store 5 years ago) and if they don't introduce it at this year's conference I believe the train will have left the station by the time next year's WWDC rolls around. Now is the time, just do it.

easylost

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012

apple tv was good but not great. no apps and not flexible. didn't like the interface, and searching the internet was time consuming and a hassle. after 10 uses, it became boring. i went back to laptop after that. then i gave my apple tv away. never really missed it. conclusion: apple tv is a redundant tool if i can't surf the internet quickly. i'm an prime user, but no amazon apps.

stupid comment: my blue ray plays prime!

Last edited:

adeedew

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2005
Anyone see people lining up in a mall for a 52" television? I don't. Can it be awesome? Sure but enough of teasing it already. VERY quiet odd odd year so far for apple. Lets hope they have SOMETHING exciting (anda 5s won't really cut it) this year for their stock price sake

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
apple tv was good but not great. no apps and not flexible. didn't like the interface, and searching the internet was time consuming and a hassle. after 10 uses, it became boring. i went back to laptop after that. then i gave my apple tv away. never really missed it. conclusion: apple tv is a redundant tool if i can't surf the internet quickly.

Why do you need to "surf the internet" on Apple TV? Apple TV is for watching video content on your TV. If you need to type in extended searches (e.g. NetFlix) - iOS Remote App works wonders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.