Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Except you do. That's how they manage to keep the experience of using their products so simple. They go through every UI dialog and say, "Do we really need to give the user this option, or are they going to want to hit this button 99+% of the time?" and if the answer is that the user is generally going to want to hit that button, then they'll remove the dialog and just have that be the default behavior.

The alternative is to have endless popups. IE, what should happen when you download a file? The answer, 99% of the time, is it should go into downloads, TYVM, get out of my way. Other OS's and browsers will present other options when you want to download a file. You as the user may not even understand the implications of certain choices.

If you don't like Apple making the choices for you, you should ditch iOS and get pure Android, and you should ditch OS X and get pure Unix or Linux. Then you can begin to understand the choices that Apple has made on your behalf and the time and frustration they've saved you in doing so. Or maybe you really like all that control, and you don't like Apple making those choices, in which case, good for you, stick with those other platforms where you can make your own choices.

I, for one, think the choices that have been made tend to be pretty good... there's a few exceptions... Mission Control really sucks and I can no longer organize 90% of my windows because I no longer have a grid of spaces to work with... the only organization I have is Spotify is always full screen to the right of my main space, and everything else is piled up in my main space.
Absolutely true, although I think Cook could have said it in a way that didn't sound like Apple was so keen on limiting consumers' choices. I can see there being millions of posts on the web about why Android is better than iOS because Apple wants to take away all of the user's choices. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if there were some "Big Brother" references.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
I don't understand what's all the fuzz about.

Apple has been opening up API's on iOS since day 1. Every version of iOS comes with new API's that makes iOS a little more open.

This is nothing new and don't expect to able to replace the Maps app by default.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I hope that they open up the external keyboard API, so we can have app specific shortcuts.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Also, I absolutely do not pay Apple to make choices for me. That is profoundly asinine.
How else do you envision the relationship? You buy a product based on the choices the company has made. If the company makes rubbish choices, the product is rubbish, you don't pay them. If the product is good, you pay them, ergo, you pay Apple to make choices for you.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
So then don't use it.

Also, I absolutely do not pay Apple to make choices for me. That is profoundly asinine.

You always have someone making choices for you even with Linux unless you are going to build your own Linux distro from scratch and dig into the code to change kernel stuff you don't like.

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
In my humble opinion, chat heads is a horrible feature. I hate that I am forced to use it on the app. (Don't tell me not to use it because it's the only social network all of my friends are on and the web app is even worse)

I'm sure if it did come to the full OS it would be optional to turn it off, but I wish I could choose to turn it off in the app already! :(

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
If they put iCloud on android I bet many people would switch.

For this reason I can't see it ever happening.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
So, let's see it I got this: Apple may or may not do something at some vague point in the future.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
If they put iCloud on android I bet many people would switch.

For this reason I can't see it ever happening.

iTunes and iCloud are part of Apple's lock-in strategy. They sell hardware so it makes sense. One may not like it but Apple makes money from hardware, not services so much and definitely not ads.

Scottyltd

macrumors member
May 3, 2013
Sweden
Nice to see people are keen and curious about ios 7 and osx line up being presented. I cant wait myself.

But, I do feel sorry for the people who turned up for Tim Cooks interview. Not much learned there. I found he had a negative tone a lot of the time. He constantly said 'I don't want to talk about that', 'Thats not something I want to talk about'. It just sounded SO negative. I appreciate the need for secrecy and the surprise element of new product and software services but he could have worded it differently. Something like 'You will hear something soon about that' or 'I feel just as curious and excited as you, but you'll just have to wait', 'You'll love what we have in store for you'. You know what I mean?? He's just to darn vague, and ignorant.

And don't get me started on the things he repeated over and over again like last year. 'It's in our DNA', 'We love our customers', 'We make the best products', 'We love education' bla bla bla etc.. It's starting to sound old or just too darn repetitive.

It would be nice for him to reassure us that something special is coming. You know, hype it up a bit. Get himself excited as well, get us drooling.

Just my opinion. Like I said, I'm very much looking forward to WWDC.

PS: Won't be watching Tim Cook D12 next year for the fear of hearing the same thing all over again.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Except you do. That's how they manage to keep the experience of using their products so simple. They go through every UI dialog and say, "Do we really need to give the user this option, or are they going to want to hit this button 99+% of the time?" and if the answer is that the user is generally going to want to hit that button, then they'll remove the dialog and just have that be the default behavior.

The alternative is to have endless popups. IE, what should happen when you download a file? The answer, 99% of the time, is it should go into downloads, TYVM, get out of my way. Other OS's and browsers will present other options when you want to download a file. You as the user may not even understand the implications of certain choices.

If you don't like Apple making the choices for you, you should ditch iOS and get pure Android, and you should ditch OS X and get pure Unix or Linux. Then you can begin to understand the choices that Apple has made on your behalf and the time and frustration they've saved you in doing so. Or maybe you really like all that control, and you don't like Apple making those choices, in which case, good for you, stick with those other platforms where you can make your own choices.

I, for one, think the choices that have been made tend to be pretty good... there's a few exceptions... Mission Control really sucks and I can no longer organize 90% of my windows because I no longer have a grid of spaces to work with... the only organization I have is Spotify is always full screen to the right of my main space, and everything else is piled up in my main space.

I agree with everything you said, except the last paragraph. Based on your usage (all but one app on the main Desktop) I understand why you feel that way.

I, on the other hand, LOVE it. I use most apps in full screen. Gestures have made it great. I also use multiple desktops.

An example. When I work from home, I Remote Desktop into my work PC. I set that up as one desktop. Messages, full screen. Mail, full screen. Outlook, a separate desktop (oddly doesn't full screen like the othe office apps). iTunes, full screen. Safari. Here I have a few windows open at all times, for various reasons, all full screen. One as my general browsing window, one each for sites I jump back to all day (gmail for one as I use the voice function of chat as my phone).

I am never further than a swipe up and click to the app I want.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Oh Goody, new iPhones are going to have WORSE battery life because apps will be running crap all the time.

Hello to the problem Android users have of needing to force close all the apps so the battery doesn't randomly drain itself because a background app is running the CPU / GPS / 3G connection at full throttle .:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.