Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
I just came in possession of a PowerBook 500, but it doesn't have a charger... Can someone please let me borrow theirs to see if this thing works so that I can sell it? I'll pay for shipping :D...

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    542.9 KB · Views: 223
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 171
Last edited:

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
If you do manage to get one, don't be surprised if it doesn't power on.

These PowerBooks are notorious for corrupting the power manager when left idle and unused as the internal (re-chargeable) backup battery goes flat.

The simple solution is to disconnect the battery, and then power up the machine and reconnect the battery and leave it to charge up (about 24 hrs).

You can find instructions on disconnecting the battery at ifixit:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+PowerBook+G3+Pismo+PRAM+Battery/21/1

You don't need to remove the battery or anything else other than flipping out the keyboard, so just check the last picture on page one at the above link.

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
If you do manage to get one, don't be surprised if it doesn't power on.

These PowerBooks are notorious for corrupting the power manager when left idle and unused as the internal (re-chargeable) backup battery goes flat.

The simple solution is to disconnect the battery, and then power up the machine and reconnect the battery and leave it to charge up (about 24 hrs).

You can find instructions on disconnecting the battery at ifixit:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+PowerBook+G3+Pismo+PRAM+Battery/21/1

You don't need to remove the battery or anything else other than flipping out the keyboard, so just check the last picture on page one at the above link.

Ok. Thank you for the help. I'm gonna do that.

I ended up purchasing a charger on eBay for $10. So if it does work, I can sell it with a charger. If not, then ill just return the charger and then decide on what to do with the computer. Maybe someone will buy it for parts?

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
Buy a charger for $10, pay $5 to return ship it,.. to get back $10 .. net $5, and waste the sellers time.

Easier to sell the whole thing as 'parts' for $10 plus shipping, and shove it in a Priority mail flat rate box, for $16 ..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.