Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roundthecircle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Greetings all, happy to be back. I have been reading for a long time but my old account was associated with my Juno email, who uses that anymore? Needless to say, I created a new one to post!

Anyhow, I have a functional beige G3 in great shape. G3 233 with the original 32mb of RAM and very little yellowing. I'm undecided on what to do with it, I think it might be powerful enough to host maybe an apache setup or postfix but I also know it will run OS X if upgraded.

I am the family geek and have a cisco small business router with PTP vpn to my fathers and sisters to host files and so that i can remote desktop to them if needed. I think it would be neat to build a website as well for the family.

What is the best use for this machine folks? I also have a display, two now. I don't know the model, it has the speakers to each side of the display and the door to the bottom but is slightly more yellowed.

Regards,

M

Dhack21

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2013
Phoenix
I would use it for classic games, escape velocity and warcraft 2 :) I love those beige g3's do you have the desktop or the mini tower??

Sent from my Lumia using Board Express

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
Greetings all, happy to be back. I have been reading for a long time but my old account was associated with my Juno email, who uses that anymore? Needless to say, I created a new one to post!

Anyhow, I have a functional beige G3 in great shape. G3 233 with the original 32mb of RAM and very little yellowing. I'm undecided on what to do with it, I think it might be powerful enough to host maybe an apache setup or postfix but I also know it will run OS X if upgraded.

I am the family geek and have a cisco small business router with PTP vpn to my fathers and sisters to host files and so that i can remote desktop to them if needed. I think it would be neat to build a website as well for the family.

What is the best use for this machine folks? I also have a display, two now. I don't know the model, it has the speakers to each side of the display and the door to the bottom but is slightly more yellowed.

Regards,

M

I am assuming that this is an all in one molar I think they are called correct me if I am wrong.

I believe that the max ram for this machine is 768mb which I don't even think that a beige can really use all of that much ram

Last edited:

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
So why post information that you know you're not 100% on?

several reasons

#1 because I felt like it
#2 because I was pretty damn sure it wouldn't hurt nothing if I was wrong
#3 I am also pretty damn sure that nobody even takes me seriously anymore after the zen.state war of 012.

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2011
You can usually get OS X up to 10.4 Tiger running on these quite easily, though you'll want the full 768 MB memory and a reasonable graphics card like a Radeon as the built-in graphics on them is useless for OS X. A reasonably new hard drive will also increase performance as it will be a lot faster than the original one which will be 15+ years old now.

If you drop in a G4 processor (500 MHz and 1 GHz Sonnet ones are available) you can also run 10.5 Leopard on them though it's a bit of work to get it running.

Alternatively they make a good OS 9.2 machine if you've already got other machines for OS X. Or you can try out interesting operating systems like OS X Server 1.0/1.2 and the OS X DPs/Public Beta as they are all compatible with this machine.

Your display sounds like one of the old Apple CRTs - you can also use a modern "PC" LCD with them with the right adapter for the built-in graphics, or directly if you get a Radeon as they a VGA port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.