Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The August Smart Lock is a new iPhone-compatible locking system that has been designed by Jason Johnson and Yves Béhar, who serves as Jawbone's Chief Creative Officer. Béhar, who has worked on products like the Jambox and the UP, has created a simple universal lock that is designed to connect to a smartphone using Bluetooth.

The lock itself is crafted of anodized aluminum and looks similar to a standard home lock. It comes with a number of faceplates and deadbolt adapters to fit the majority of the locks on the market, and it functions on four AA batteries. When battery life is low, the system will send out a notification.

augustsmartlock.jpg
Much like competing products Lockitron and Kevo, the August Smart Lock will be available without subscription fees. It will also function with an accompanying app, which can be programmed to allow entry to friends and family. The system monitors guests that enter and it can be customized with specific timers. TechCrunch has some additional information:
In addition to the ability to turn on and off access to the home through an app, users will be able to send invitations to friends or family that have been connected on Facebook or in their mobile contact list. Johnson gave the example of a dinner party, where visitors could be invited and let themselves in without having to ring the doorbell.

The August smart lock is powered by Bluetooth low energy (BLE) technology, which will enable it to work without connecting to a WiFi network. The team claims that it's the smallest electronic door lock on the market, and they say that it only takes 10 minutes to install.
There are no specific details on when the August Smart Lock will launch, but the reservation website says that it will go on sale later in the year with an expected ship date of November or December. The lock will cost $199, with no additional fees.

Article Link: Jawbone Designer Debuts New August Smart Lock

Bwilky

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
To bad they aren't integrating z-wave technology. That would have been nice.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
The hardware reminds me a bit of Nest thermostat, although not as pretty.

I would need to wait for reviews (especially in regards to battery life, quality of the app, performance, fit and finish), however.

Having said that, $199 seems rather pricey ($179 for Lockitron). At $249, Nest seems like a bargain in comparison. Speaking of Nest, I wish Nest would make such device instead.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Really cool product, but I can already open/close my garage door using a Raspberry Pi and an iPhone app I made.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I already ordered a Lockitron but this looks so much more beautiful and "Apple" like. It's the same feel I get from the Nest too.

However, I'm renting and this looks like it requires replacing the lock instead of putting it over an existing one, so I guess I'm hmm... locked out. :cool:

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
How secure is this thing? Couldn't someone make an app to trick it into opening?

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
If your phone runs out of battery, you're locked out.
Just use the old fashioned key.

Im going to guess that similar to lockitron, your standard key still works to open the door. The device goes on the inside of the door.

Watching the video would help.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
I might like this better than the Kevo since this only changes the lock on the inside. Anything I can do to keep me from having to carry keys around I'm all for.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Yay my iPhone was stolen and the crooks now are able to unlock my HOUSE so they can finish the job!

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
If your phone runs out of battery, you're locked out.
Just use the old fashioned key.

No more locked out than if the battery on your car's FOB dies if you have the keyless entry option on your car... in other words not. You always have the traditional key backup.

I've had keyless entry since my '07 car. When I first heard about the option I thought how lazy can one be that they can't push a button on a remote. But they were clever and required the option in order to remotely open the trunk w/ top down (convertible) so I got it. I ended up not bothering with the trunk w/ top down but fell in love with just being able to touch the door handle and not having to fumble in my pocket for my key. Ever since I wished something similar was available for homes.

This new slew of locks and lock assists is an interesting start. I have a Lockitron on order but suspect its going to be a dud since it overlays w/ the existing lock. For older homes that have settled and requires a little finesse opening the lock I suspect the Lockitron will fail. The Kevo looks like a potential winner but I'm not changing all my locks to Kwikset -- I want one key that opens all doors. If I already had Kwikset I'd go for it in a second.

----------

Yay my iPhone was stolen and the crooks now are able to unlock my HOUSE so they can finish the job!

1) They'd have to know where you live -- do you really have your address on your phone?

2) If you realize your phone is missing you go online and disable the lock just like you disable your iPhone.

----------

How secure is this thing? Couldn't someone make an app to trick it into opening?

Depends on how secure the code is. But if its like the rolling code on a garage door opener or a keyless entry car it would take a while to crack. Keyless entry isn't new, just new to residential locksets.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
I had pre-ordered a lockitron at $149, so that made this a difficult decision, since it is $50 more. But it is much better looking than lockitron, plastic vs. aluminium, and that makes all the difference. Am trying to cancel my lockitron order and am in line for the August.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
I look at both this and the Lockitron, and I think they are too big, and they look cheap too. They may be simple, but for me to smack down $200 for something like this, it better have sex appeal as well as usability and simplicity.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I've been meaning to order a Lockitron for months now, but after seeing this, I might be switching. This looks alot more elegant for basically the same functionality. I'm torn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.