Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Looks like battery life is 6-12 months, which is more than fine.

$199 is quite a bit but its the price we pay for cutting edge technology. I will gladly pay this for my new house. The time I would save each day would add up over time to be worth well more than $199 to me.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
If you can still open it the old fashion way doesn't that mean the drunk ex-roommate still has access unless you change the lock? Or does it come with a new one already?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Erm....:eek: ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-30 at 12.45.13.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-30 at 12.45.13.png
    297.8 KB · Views: 84

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
What happens if the batteries die?

You can still unlock it on the outside, but they do not say if you can do so on the inside, I would say twist the knob.

------

I think it is kinda silly, gimmicky, most/many times you get out of your car, you have the keys in your hands, so:

Get out of your car.
Push button to lock car.
Put key in lock, twist, open.

Instead of.

Get out of your Car
Push button to lock car.
Put keys in pocket.
Get your iPhone out.
Unlock iPhone.
Swipe to unlock.
(Maybe input password).
Search App.
Tap on App.
Tap unlock.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
You can still unlock it on the outside, but they do not say if you can do so on the inside, I would say twist the knob.

------

I think it is kinda silly, gimmicky, most/many times you get out of your car, you have the keys in your hands, so:

Get out of your car.
Push button to lock car.
Put key in lock, twist, open.

Instead of.

Get out of your Car
Push button to lock car.
Put keys in pocket.
Get your iPhone out.
Unlock iPhone.
Swipe to unlock.
(Maybe input password).
Search App.
Tap on App.
Tap unlock.

Well I have a Lockitron on order and one of the things it's supposed to do is have a bluetooth proximity sensor, so that just by walking to or away from the door, the lock should automatically lock and unlock. So having it hands free like that doesn't sound gimmicky to me and should actually make it simpler than using your real keys.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Well I have a Lockitron on order and one of the things it's supposed to do is have a bluetooth proximity sensor, so that just by walking to or away from the door, the lock should automatically lock and unlock. So having it hands free like that doesn't sound gimmicky to me and should actually make it simpler than using your real keys.

Ok, that's indeed easy, but I still think it is a gimmick, what is so hard about unlocking the old fashioned way?
Just my opinion though.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Ok, that's indeed easy, but I still think it is a gimmick, what is so hard about unlocking the old fashioned way?
Just my opinion though.

I work late night shifts and sometime when I get home and my porch lights aren't on, I have fumbled around with my keys and dropped them on occasion. With one of these products, you can simply walk towards the door and open it.

Also, what about coming home carrying a bunch of stuff like groceries? Or also for women who might have roomy purses who sometimes can't find their keys right away.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I work late night shifts and sometime when I get home and my porch lights aren't on, I have fumbled around with my keys and dropped them on occasion. With one of these products, you can simply walk towards the door and open it.

Also, what about coming home carrying a bunch of stuff like groceries? Or also for women who might have roomy purses who sometimes can't find their keys right away.

Fair enough.

Still not convinced though, security is one of them.

Edit: Where I am, from most people get into their houses through the backdoor, many of them need to open two doors instead of one, my dad needs to open three doors before he's in, so, that's an expensive joke.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
Most people I know have two locks on their door, the deadbolt, and one in the knob. I can already see the looks on people's faces when they realize that while installing it :apple::):confused::eek::mad::(

mrxak

macrumors 68000
As long as there are less secure entrypoints, a locked door is simply a social contract to keep honest people out (and how many honest people go around jiggling doorknobs anyway?).

The crooks are going to come in through a window, or better yet, the sliding glass door in the back where the neighbors won't see them taking your TV out.

If you're the sort of person who has bars on their windows, then maybe a fancy electronic deadbolt-rotator is right for you, just make sure you don't stick it on a lock that's easily pickable or a decent thief will still get in. Hint: if you bought your doorknob and deadbolt set at a hardware store, it's probably easily pickable. Most of the common brands are mass produced cheaply and have many vulnerabilities as a result. Oh yeah, and you'd better have a pretty strong metal door too, that can't be easily smashed open. Your doorframe needs to be as strong as your door.

While the geek in me thinks these sorts of things are cool, the geekier geek in me who has studied locks and security knows that it's a complete waste of money. If you want something equally cool, and far more useful for security, get some home automation modules and set up motion sensors in your house, then make that information available to software on your phone. You can just be notified when somebody's breaking in, and have peace of mind when they're not.

WonderLight

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2013
Cool products, but I can already turn on / off the Raspberry Pi and I made an iPhone application using my garage door.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
Most people I know have two locks on their door, the deadbolt, and one in the knob. I can already see the looks on people's faces when they realize that while installing it :apple::):confused::eek::mad::(

You are right and then some.

My insurance company will not insure, or pay out if:

a) There is no deadlock fitted as a second lock.
b) The deadlock is not locked in the event of a break in.

Which makes it pretty useless as a convenient security option. Nice innovation and useful for other applications, but not on my front door.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011

Which makes it pretty useless as a convenient security option. Nice innovation and useful for other applications, but not on my front door.
This is a deadlock.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
i find stupid when someone wants to replace a simple object by something way more expensive for the same simple use

like microsoft trying to make the new xbox to replace your $10-regular TV remote

you lose your keys, period. a key without any info is useless

you lose your iphone, the guy now has all your contact details, personal info and an electronic access to your house

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011

U need a new insurance company. Get allstate. Locks are for honest people. A dead bolt is not going to stop a thief. Just went thru the web site they are showing it as a deadbolt so j would be covered anyway. Your lower lock would be left in the unlocked position. Only problem I see with locking and unlocking deadbolts. deadbolts are usually stiff and require some pressure while locking and unlocking. Will this device have enough power if there is pressure on the locking mechanism?

Last edited:

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
U need a new insurance company. Get allstate. Locks are for honest people. A dead bolt is not going to stop a thief.

If you are one of the many city dwellers who live in a 2+ floor appartment/condo, where the only windows are far above reach, then that dead bolt is actually quite effective.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
If you are one of the many city dwellers who live in a 2+ floor appartment/condo, where the only windows are far above reach, then that dead bolt is actually quite effective.
I just realized this lock is a deadbolt. And get mounted on the inside. Might be a fire hazard if anything.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I'm enjoying the knee-jerk reactions from people who clearly didn't watch the video.

If you run out of battery, use your key.

You don't have to pull your iPhone out to unlock the door.

$199 is not expensive for the amount of convenience this provides.

You COULD unlock your door the old fashioned way, much like you could do the same for your car. Except we have all accepted keyless entry and remote start systems in cars, why not allow them for the house?

you lose your iphone, the guy now has all your contact details, personal info and an electronic access to your house
You could disable access for your phone using your computer, as shown in the video. Also you could wipe it with iCloud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.