Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today made a quiet update to its iPod touch lineup, launching a new 16 GB fifth-generation model without a rear camera for $229. The new iPod touch, which is only available with a black front and silver back, replaces the fourth-generation iPod touch that Apple had continued to offer since the introduction of new models late last year. The new model is available now in Apple's online store and should be available in the company's retail stores starting tomorrow.

ipod_touch_5_16gb.jpg
Apple introduced the redesigned fifth-generation iPod touch last September with the same 4-inch display seen on the iPhone 5 and a number of other enhancements. But with the new hardware pushing the entry-level price to $299 for a 32 GB model, Apple decided to continue offering the fourth-generation models at cheaper $199 (16 GB) and $249 (32 GB) price points.

Now, with production on the fifth-generation models having been underway for roughly eight months, Apple has found a way to shave costs through both natural component cost declines and the removal of several features to be able to offer a stripped-down fifth-generation model at pricing close to that previously offered for the fourth-generation models. Beyond the loss of a rear camera, the new entry-level iPod touch also omits Apple's "Loop" wrist strap introduced on the fifth-generation models last year.

Earlier this year, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo had predicted that Apple would discontinue the fourth-generation iPod touch in favor of a stripped-down fifth-generation model without a rear camera. Kuo had believed that Apple would introduce an 8 GB version of that device for $199, but Apple apparently decided that 16 GB of storage should be the minimum for the iPod touch lineup.

Article Link: Apple Launches New 16 GB iPod Touch With No Rear Camera for $229

macgames

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2012
Quietest apple launch ever!

Like what the heck - really doesn't make any sense. WWDC is in 2 weeks!

Yeah but hopefully they are saving that for some 'bigger' launches. iPod touch losing a camera is hardly worthy of a press conference!

StealthGhost

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Don't really see the point of them anymore myself, gotta have a smartphone, don't need both.

Maybe for kids?

What they should do is make the speakers better like on my HTC One, up the storage as well, then I could see the point at that price. As it stands if I wanted something for just music an old Android phone with a 64gb microSD sounds much more attractive...and cheaper

samac92

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
So Apple no longer sells the 3.5 inch iPod touch.
If they later this year release a cheaper 4 inch iPhone, that will take the place of the iPhone 4S in Apple's iPhone lineup and they will no longer be selling any devices with a 3.5 inch screen.
Makes sense to me.

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
Why would they waste time at WWDC talking about a cheaper iPod?

Yeah that would be a bit underwhelming. "Here's our latest product, we've removed the camera and halved the storage capacity. Moving on..."

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
I can see why it was extremely quiet because it is a more limited model at a cheaper price point to fill that gap. Like people said there are places that take issue with camera devices so it could be handy for different people. Of course many will think since the memory is less (not much cost there) it should still have the camera and cost $229 and I will likely agree with that too some degree. This time they removed something other then memory to create a price difference, it even makes more sense as flash memory from 16GB to 32GB is NOT costly at all.

Don't really see the point of them anymore myself, gotta have a smartphone, don't need both.

On a personal level, no stand alone music player is really needed with smartphones.

Last edited:

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Seems a bit like fragmenting the products... I think its pointless. A lot of apps now have camera features in, people will buy this and then realise it has no camera.

Having the camera app on the home page on the image as well doesn't help. Will also add to the confusion. (Yes I know you can take front facing pics)

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Quietest apple launch ever!

Like what the heck - really doesn't make any sense. WWDC is in 2 weeks!

It does make sense.

What do you think will be announced at WWDC? iOS 7.
What do you think it will run on? Probably any iOS device with 512+ MB RAM (that excludes the 4th gen iPod touch and iPhone 3GS).
That would mean that, just like last year, the cheapest iPhone/iPad/iPod they still sell at the time the new iOS is announced are also the minimum devices to support it.
Not offering software compatibility for hardware that is still being sold gives a bad impression of planned obsolescence, and it's exactly what would have happened if the 8GB 4th gen iPod touch was still being sold.

Last edited:

s.horsfield

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
New Zealand
At first I thought "What the hell?" but it's actually a great product compared to Apple's other "budget" (or cheaper) products - iPad mini, iPad 2, 4th gen Touch, 5th gen Touch etc. It's uses the Lightning connector, new display and A5 chip. It isn't really worth the extra for the "pro" model IMO. I think this was mainly done to keep product consistency and that I like, even though I won't be buying the product.

evansls

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2004
Leesburg, VA
Good idea!

This can be taken to places now where no cameras are allowed, such as court rooms, government facilities, etc.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
So Apple no longer sells the 3.5 inch iPod touch.
If they later this year release a cheaper 4 inch iPhone, that will take the place of the iPhone 4S in Apple's iPhone lineup and they will no longer be selling any devices with a 3.5 inch screen.
Makes sense to me.
There are rumors of a 4" iPhone in a 3.5" casing just thinner bezels top and bottom. That would be nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.