Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage13.png
Originally announced in October 2011, Adobe has finally released its Adobe Kuler color theme generation app for iPhone.

The app was to be part of a new suite of mobile apps for Adobe, meant to enhance the desktop experience for desktop artists. Currently, only three of the six apps have been released, Photoshop Touch, Ideas, and Kuler.
Adobe® Kuler lets you capture color inspiration anywhere you find it. Capture colors from a mural, garden, or wherever you happen to be with a snap of your iPhone camera. Browse, create, and customize themes for your designs - all on your phone.

The color themes you create with the Kuler app can be synced to the Kuler website, an online community for color enthusiasts, for use with other Adobe applications such as Illustrator and Adobe Ideas.

Whether you're a designer, artist, developer, hobbyist, craft maker, or just somebody who loves color, Kuler will transform your phone into the ultimate color inspiration tool.
adobekuler.jpg
Adobe Kuler is a free download for the iPhone on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Adobe Finally Releases Kuler Color-Picking App for iPhone

soupmix

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2011
El Paso, TX
Only 3 Released?

Currently, only three of the six apps have been released, Photoshop Touch, Ideas, and Kuler.
Actually Collage and Proto were released - I have them on my iPad at the moment. Collage was a bit odd and Proto was okay, but they were both released.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Glad to have this, but when is Apple going to let us calibrate our iOS device screens? Would love to manually tweak it, or even better, use my ColorMunki calibrator on it.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
*YAWN* Wake me up when there's iPad support. Tired of all these apps not being universal.

Tired of being able to open phone apps in fullscreen on an Android tablet and it looking horrible at 2x on an iPad. I mean, COME ON! If Apple already had the APIs for apps to just fill whatever space, why isn't this possible on the iPad? Why can Instagram look good on a 7" tablet and not on an iPad Mini?

SERIOUS question! I've used Kuler on my Kindle Fire before with no issues.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
*YAWN* Wake me up when there's iPad support. Tired of all these apps not being universal.

Tired of being able to open phone apps in fullscreen on an Android tablet and it looking horrible at 2x on an iPad. I mean, COME ON! If Apple already had the APIs for apps to just fill whatever space, why isn't this possible on the iPad? Why can Instagram look good on a 7" tablet and not on an iPad Mini?

must be a A5 thing, it looked like crap on my iPad 2 too but it looks crystal clear on my iPad 3

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

Its possible on the iPad, but developers have to put it in the code. Why they don't is beyond me.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Glad to have this, but when is Apple going to let us calibrate our iOS device screens? Would love to manually tweak it, or even better, use my ColorMunki calibrator on it.

Thats why jailbreak exists - there is an app for that :)

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010

I thought the color gamut was near 100% accurate on these retina displays, how to improve on perfection?

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
Handy for web development. Just wish Adobe would allow you to convert the RGB to CMYK values or, better yet, give you Pantone suggestions. That would be killer.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I thought the color gamut was near 100% accurate on these retina displays, how to improve on perfection?
The gamut just describes the range of possible colors, you still need to calibrate for accuracy so you can tell your pink from your fuchsia. iPhone and iPad screens are usually decent from the factory as these things go, but they are not optimal.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A

RetinaPad and FullForce for iPad. Boom.

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
iOS auto-layout is weak

If Apple already had the APIs for apps to just fill whatever space, why isn't this possible on the iPad?

The problem is that auto-layout didn't exist in earlier versions of iOS, and the implementation in the current version is weak. It is difficult to use and not very flexible.

On the other hand, a robust layout management system has been built into Android since day one. So it is much easier to write apps for Android that scale to arbitrary device dimensions.

Don't get me wrong - I love iOS. The lack of a decent auto-layout system is actually my biggest gripe with it.

----------

Its possible on the iPad, but developers have to put it in the code. Why they don't is beyond me.

Developers don't do it because it is not as easy as it should be. Apple really needs to improve the development experience in this area.

genshi

macrumors 6502a
I'm really liking the app; used it to get the color scheme of my Waldorf synth -

944263_10151471906926821_1265531009_n.jpg

Once they reactivate the syncing for Creative Cloud and update the Suite of desktop apps (June 17th) this will be extra killer, as the color palettes will show up in Photoshop and Illustrator (I think the public swatches are currently searchable in the panel, but your actual account will apparently show up with the coming update.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.