Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
there's no reason iMovie couldn't import anything Apple wanted it to. My older version of iMovie (iMovie HD) could import the .avi files created by my Panasonic lumix camera just fine. iMovie '08 now treats the files as if they didn't exist. O.P. os right to be frustrated - Apple picks and chooses what they want to allow to be imported (and converted). Apple could easily allow iMovie to convert any video format and import it. They just make choices that sometimes leave consumers (like me and the O.P.) out in the cold.

The problem with iMovie started with iMovie '08 (I still use iMovie '06 HD - Even on my Mac Pro 2010) - Final Cut Pro is my preferred platform now, but I still use iMovie '06 if im in a hurry and dont need advance features.

jegler

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2013
bendegroot is correct. My old version of imovie (osx.3.9)imported just about anything I threw at it. This version of imovie (8) imports NOTHING! I just tried it out the other night. I'm not kidding. I tried to import .mov .mpg .mp4 .mpeg and NOTHING would import. I created the .mov files in FCP and they will NOT import - so I disagree with the people saying it will import any .mov file. I'm just as pissed off as Spunner - Apple presents their iLife line of software as a big selling point for their desktops and laptops, but I do believe they intentionally make them to under perform so's to get people on the hook for more costly software. THAT'S the Apple philosophy. I was a "Mac guy" for years, but I've now come to realize their evil overlord ways.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
I just said to hell with it all and used W7. My MAC is great for surfing the web. Like a really big iPhone. I suppose if I shot all my own video it would be good for that. But editing existing video? - I guess I just expected more with all the hype as I have heard about MAC and it's capabilities... They must have been talking about editing video of your kids birthday taken directly from their GoVideo.

so, which one of the great video editing apps that come preinstalled with w7 did you use?

imovie might be a toy, but it sure as hell beats windows movie maker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.