Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rlu929s

macrumors regular
May 17, 2011
This is very cool. I have this game via steam on my PC, so will probably pass unless I see it pretty nicely discounted.

This is the RPG to end all though. I loved both the KOTOR games. Was siked for the MMO TOR, but just wasn't the same.

I think the story was what was so great about these games.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
awsome, bought it, playing it in bed tonight lol,

Now, can we have Never Winter Nights ported to iPad and ill be unproductive everywhere i go :D

----------

so will probably pass unless I see it pretty nicely discounted.

no, for £6.99 this is something you should buy and support them, for that price its well worth it, and we need to support them so they will port more fantastic games to the iPad..

If we don't support these kinds of games, all we are going to get is Freemium crap from EA.

jonathanbloom

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2009
Aspyr, I am playing this right now, well not right now because it's paused, but I am playing this and it is surpassing my expectations. Thanks for bringing a great game to the iPad! Awesome job on the port!

Renzatic

Suspended
awsome, bought it, playing it in bed tonight lol,

Now, can we have Never Winter Nights ported to iPad and ill be unproductive everywhere i go :D

If they do, I hope they somehow manage to port the toolkit. NWN as a singleplayer game was alright, but being able to make your own modules and play as a DM is what made it nigh on legendary.

Anyway, I just bought it and am slowly...SLOOOOOWWWWLLLY waiting for it download (why is the app store so damn slow anyway). I've never played it before, so this is gonna be an entirely new experience for me.

All I hope is it feels more like the originals and less like the prequels and cartoons that came out after.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I know what you mean. I'd probably need a couple of extra lifetimes to accomplish that at this point. :eek:
Same here. Who knows how many I have deleted to make room for another game (that will also be deleted 15% through to make room for yet another).

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
If they do, I hope they somehow manage to port the toolkit. NWN as a singleplayer game was alright, but being able to make your own modules and play as a DM is what made it nigh on legendary.

I always got motion sick with Neverwinter Nights and so I could never complete it. The same happened with the very first Jedi Knight (Dark Forces II) game. Even with motion sickness pills I couldn't stand it after awhile. The original Dark Forces was a little better, but still caused motion sickness. I remember similar things with certain N64 games (Duke Nukem comes to mind) whereas other games like Goldeneye there and Jedi Outcast & Academy on the PC/Mac never caused even a HINT of motion sickness, so I have to assume there's some kind of choppy movement or odd frame rate thing happening in those games. Frankly, in some of them (like Jedi Knight and Duke Nuke) I can SEE the choppy frame rate that leads to motion sickness with me.

I've had no issues with Kotor I or II, though or Dragon Age Origins for that matter (by far the best RPG ever made, IMO; it takes things like romance options to the sort of conclusions you want to see but never do in Kotor plus a plethora of ending variations based on character and actions; here you get TWO and nothing you do matters what-so-ever despite their light/dark point assignments until almost the very end. Both options are open regardless of any choice you make which is ridiculous and kills the replay value, IMO. I only had to replay the final two levels to see the other ending).

Now Kotor II had the potential to be awesome, but they never got to properly finish the game (and there was never a direct Mac conversion; you have to play it in BootCamp or virtualized Windows). However, the fans pretty much reconstructed the missing content the best they could (feels odd in some areas, but works for the most part). You can't totally blame the game makers, though. Lucasfilm reportedly REFUSED to let them go back and fix the problems for reasons unknown and unspecified (much to the dismay of the fans) so I doubt you'll ever see it for the iPad.

In any case, once people play Kotor, they're probably going to want to see Kotor II and once restored with the fan update, it's worth playing despite its faults and probably still the better overall game, IMO. If it had been properly finished, it would have been a masterpiece. The final act of the game is still too jumpy/disconnected even with the fixes in place (showing that it was just never fully fleshed out even with the majority of the scenes restored). In short, it's worth booting into Windows to play the sequel.

As an aside...my theory of why they weren't allowed to go back and fix/finish Kotor II is that I think George Lucas HATED Kotor II since it turned his neat little Jedi world of white and black, good and evil upside down on its head and mashed it to pieces, which frankly was what I absolutely LOVED about the game. Both sides are portrayed as EXTREMES and it shows like in modern politics, all BALANCE has been lost completely. And it's this balance that was given lip service in Revenge of the Sith that was a missed opportunity for Lucas, IMO. The Jedi are pretentious overbearing control freaks who won't let any freedom or research into areas they think are evil/dark. Similarly, the Sith are pretty much portrayed as power hungry insane serial killers with a god complex and frankly, that's pretty lame at the other extreme. Most real people fall somewhere in-between these extremes and they're not represented at all by either faction (which oddly reminds me of the real world once again...so maybe Lucas DID get it right, after all if you take the Jedi/Sith to be political and/or religious allegories or satires).

Rocketpilot

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2009
Honestly, after many hours of gameplay I would say iPad. Once we reworked the UI to better fit the platform, menus and customization is just much easier to navigate on the iPad. After all, this is an old school RPG and character/party customization is the name of the game :D

Thanks for all the support everyone. We worked really, really hard to get this one right, and to even have the chance to do so was a huge honor. :apple:

Love the game, could well see myself replaying it on iPad ... but ... is there a "skip Taris" button? So much of that opening world is a real slog, and

SPOILERS

After you help everyone there, the planet gets bombed to bits anyway, which is a bit of a downer.

END SPOILERS

Eh, I'll probably get it anyway.

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
Honestly, after many hours of gameplay I would say iPad. Once we reworked the UI to better fit the platform, menus and customization is just much easier to navigate on the iPad. After all, this is an old school RPG and character/party customization is the name of the game :D

Thanks for all the support everyone. We worked really, really hard to get this one right, and to even have the chance to do so was a huge honor. :apple:

I owned this on the PC back a long time ago. I also bought the Mac version from you guys when it was released. The image above says "Unique characters, creatures, vehicles, and planets". Is that unique to the iPad version, or is the iPad version the same as the other two?

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
Loved KoTOR 2: The Sith Lords - can't believe it'll be ten years next year since I played it :eek:

Never picked this up, but with the massive plot references to it from KoTOR 2 I may get it for my iPad :)

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
I owned this on the PC back a long time ago. I also bought the Mac version from you guys when it was released. The image above says "Unique characters, creatures, vehicles, and planets". Is that unique to the iPad version, or is the iPad version the same as the other two?

Good catch. Those feature points are actually exactly the same as the original release. Our hope was to make sure that everyone knew this is the exact same experience they knew and loved. The "unique" part is referring to KOTOR being unique compared to the popular Star Wars timeframe explored in the movies.

Bravo Apple/bioware, you have finally convinced me to get an iPad. Ill be purchasing at the next refresh 90% for this game.

That's a HUGE compliment, thanks! Although I must say that while MANY stake holders had to approve and give feedback on this release (including Apple and Bioware) KOTOR on the iPad is proudly a 100% Aspyr project. :apple:

Love the game, could well see myself replaying it on iPad ... but ... is there a "skip Taris" button? So much of that opening world is a real slog, and

Awww c'mon now! If it weren't for the slow character/environment development on Taris, the spoiler you described might not be so impactful. Just think about how you felt the first time you saw it. I know I was like "that mother *%$#^!"

Aspyr, I am playing this right now, well not right now because it's paused, but I am playing this and it is surpassing my expectations. Thanks for bringing a great game to the iPad! Awesome job on the port!

Thank you so so much Jonathan! I can't describe how hard we worked to get this right, especially with the UI changes and our efforts to fix legacy bugs. We've been dreaming about this literally since the iPad came out, so to say we were nervous yesterday would be an extreme understatement.

've never played it before, so this is gonna be an entirely new experience for me.

OMG, I'm so excited for you right now. This will be like listening to the classic band that influenced all your current favorite bands. It totally holds up, and is an absolute joy on the iPad.

Renzatic

Suspended
I can't describe how hard we worked to get this right, especially with the UI changes and our efforts to fix legacy bugs. We've been dreaming about this literally since the iPad came out, so to say we were nervous yesterday would be an extreme understatement.

I think you all should be patting yourself on the back for a job well done then. This is easily the best port I've seen on the iPad. It's smooth, stable, and most importantly, the touch controls feel completely natural and intuitive. 5 minutes after picking it up, I was already playing like an old pro.

This is the only iPad port I've played where I can honestly say that. Most of the time I'm saying something like "well, the controls work alright...but it needs...". Here? I really have no complaints. It all works, and works well.

I'd say more, but...you know...I'd rather be playing the game. You've all done a great job, and I'll definitely be buying more of your ports in the future. :D

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
I want to buy this but...

I love the Star Wars games. I want to buy this game but am having difficulty making the decision because in three months it will be 5.99 lol.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Played this on release day 10 years ago (Xbox), a few years later on a PC (despite the absence of a widescreen ratio), and started a new game yesterday on this iOS version. All told, I probably have at least 3, 40-hour completions of this game and yet I was compelled to play it again.

At the risk of sounding like a shill, this is a stunningly good port. No apparent reduction in sound quality (I was worried voiceovers would be overly down-sampled) and textures look as I remember them. And, of course, a big part the fun comes from the fact that you can play this game on a device (in my case, an iPad mini) that is about the same weight as the original Xbox controller.

As others have noted, controls are as expected but I found that pumping up the touch screen sensitivity (anything past 75% is good) and realizing that you can control forward movement from anywhere on screen (i.e., bottom right-hand corner) made a very noticeable improvement (think Carth to HK-47 level of improvement).

I've noticed a few hiccups, most notably a couple "cutscene" dialogue trees repeated themselves before combat started (the three-drunks and the old fart that owes credits-missions both had this issue). No crashes or lost saves though. Sadly, no cloud-sync option.

Graphics, frame rate and textures are hard to differentiate between iPad mini and iPad 4 (I did a dual install and will play both through past Taris); both devices seems to handle it with ease and I see no disadvantage when using the mini besides the obvious color gamut improvement of the iPad 3/4.

As any KOTOR vet knows, you have to give this game some patience early on and realize that Taris is a slow, introductory planet - this game isn't even getting warmed up until you're space-bound and, later, packing an l-sabre.

Next up for me is seeing how this works via AirPlay on the big screen.

TL;DR: Amazing port, amazing game, be patient, don't rush sidemissions (they're awesome). iOS GOTY for me.

Meatbag out.

Last edited:

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I love the Star Wars games. I want to buy this game but am having difficulty making the decision because in three months it will be 5.99 lol.

I usually always put apps in my appshopper wish list and wait for a little while before I break down and buy them.

kanselmo

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
This is an awesome port! The advice above to turn up the touch sensitivity is right on - it makes for a really slick experience. Amazing job. It's so nice to be able to play this classic game on the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.