Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Dobey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Anyone out there have any idea if the Fairplay DRM removal tool Requiem will be updated to 4.2 in the near future? As of now Requiem 4.1 does not work with 1080p video bought in the iTunes 11 store. Nor can I get it to work with iTunes 10.7 1080p content under OS X 10.8.

Mr Dobey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Aww man I hope he didn't retire :(

I think the iTunes 1080p content is great and very convenient but I would prefer downloading to my computer and wirelessly streaming to my Samsung TV like all my mkv files so I can use just my TV remote instead of TV remote + AppleTV remote. And I'm really not a fan of those complicated multi programmable remotes.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Yep, unfortunatly Brahms, the author, isn't updating the project anymore. Weather anyone takes over the project is anyones guess.

I have no problems using 4.1 with iTunes 10.7 all I can suggest is if you had iTunes 11 installed and then downgraded to 10.7 you may need to delete the keystores and reauthorize the content in iTunes 10.7, otherwise you'll still be using the iTunes 11 keystores. You can do this by removing the 'SC Info' folder found the /Users/Shared

Requiem also has a Tor website with it's own forum at http://tag3ulp55xczs3pn.onion/ you'll need a Tor client to access it.

Mr Dobey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
I deleted the keystores and completely deleted all my content and redownloaded some 1080p files with iTunes 1080p and authorized my computer.

I now get the following as attached.

I don't know if the website is just down but I can't get to the Requiem forums any more. even through Tor.

Attachments

• Screen.png
    Screen.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,237

Mr Dobey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Scratch that, I got into the forums and yes Brahms the developer has retired the project :(

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Make sure your version of java is upto date. Also how are you using Requiem, are you just running it and letting it decrypt everything in your library? You may have more luck by dragging and droping files directly onto the Requiem program (Windows version, don't know if this is possible with the Mac version).

Last edited:

Mr Dobey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
I tried the latest native Java in OS X 10.8 and Requiem didn't work. So now I'm running the latest Java from the Java website and still no go. I've tried both drag and drop and automatic.

I'm trying to play the 1080p version of 'The Mind of a Chef' from the iTunes store. Since it's a new series maybe iTunes is using a new encryption algorithm.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I tried the latest native Java in OS X 10.8 and Requiem didn't work. So now I'm running the latest Java from the Java website and still no go. I've tried both drag and drop and automatic.

I'm trying to play the 1080p version of 'The Mind of a Chef' from the iTunes store. Since it's a new series maybe iTunes is using a new encryption algorithm.

I went through this on my current gen Mac Pro (sadly 2010). I state this as Requiem does not work with newer hardware. I tried on my 2012 MacBook Air and Mac Mini which didn't work. After days of research I learned current hardware is somehow encrypting or blocking requiem from stripping DRM. Since my Mac Pro's hardware is older, I removed iTunes 11.x completely from that system (running 10.8.3 beta at the time). Aside from keystores and the lot, there is a plethora of files left behind in ~/Library/ and /Library/ folders.

I spent some time searching for anything iTunes related and removed it. Of course, make sure you back up all the info first. If "Time Machine" is backing up your data, great, you also might want to copy them to a USB drive just to be sure. OS X Finder is not set to search for system files by default, and there are quite a few.

In case you don't know, here's how to fine tune Finder searches:

1. Open a Finder window and type in iTunes in the window's Spotlight.

2. Next to the "Save" button just below it, click on the "+" sign. This will bring up the ability to search for the file(s) based on chosen parameters (i.e. kind, size, etc.). There are a ton of search fields and most aren't set on the default list.

3. Select the "Kind" option and in the drop down window select "Other". (You'll notice in mine I already have "System Files" as an option, this isn't set until you follow these steps)

4. Once "Other" is chosen, you will see a long list of search parameters to choose from. Select as many as you want but make certain you select "System Files".

5. Returning to the "Kind" drop-down menu, select "System Files". This will include system files in your search.

6. Finally, select "are included", and your search results should change based on the set search parameters.

This will allow you to see iTunes files located in your /Library/ and /System/~folders. Delete anything relating to iTunes. You may want to logout or reboot. Install iTunes 10.7 and all should be working.

Hope this helps! I was able to strip all my 1080P, 720P, etc iTunes movies. My music and books are already DRM free. Good luck!

Attachments

• Finder.jpg
    Finder.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 1,455
  • Finder 2.jpg
    Finder 2.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 1,520
  • Screen Shot 2013-05-30 at 9.26.22 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-05-30 at 9.26.22 AM.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 1,196
  • Screen Shot 2013-05-30 at 9.35.09 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-05-30 at 9.35.09 AM.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 41,209
  • Screen Shot 2013-05-30 at 9.35.16 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-05-30 at 9.35.16 AM.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 792

Mr Dobey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
thank you bendifferent for the great explanation. Interesting find about the new hardware breaking Requiems functionality. Since I'm running a new Retina MacBook Pro it looks like I'm out of luck.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
thank you bendifferent for the great explanation. Interesting find about the new hardware breaking Requiems functionality. Since I'm running a new Retina MacBook Pro it looks like I'm out of luck.

That is most likely the issue. I have not tried/researched it using Windows on new Mac hardware. Perhaps it's the combination of OS X and new Mac hardware? I don't fully know. If you have access to another system, I would try that route instead of the headache involved ('course you probably would have if you had another system :eek: ).

Sorry man, hope I was somewhat helpful! :)

tbreslow

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2013

At what point are you saying new hardware breaks this? I have a 2011 Late 2011 MBP which works fine.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

There is another option - a VM. I have VMWare set up running Windows XP with iTunes 10.7. From there I can drag a DRM movie in from the Shared Library (which is located on the same computer) - then run Requiem in the Windows VM - and then in iTunes 11 in OS X I delete the original and drag the newly converted one back in from the shared library on the VM.

Only thing this hasn't worked for is HD content that has HDCP restriction; Windows XP doesn't support HDCP at all so those can't convert. I only had one movie that this affected so I haven't been motivated enough to create a new Windows 7 VM to see if I can work around that issue.

heardhqa

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2013
Requiem doesn't find any DRM to remove from my books in my iTunes Library, so it's hopeless. And there ARE books protected by Apple's special DRM (they clearly appear as such when I "get info".
Did anybody manage to make Requiem work?
System : Mac OS 10.6.8
Itunes 10.7
Requiem 4.1
E7jva

natethelen

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2006
4.1 Working on latest Mac hardware

I have brand new Apple hardware and got it working by running a Lion (10.7) VM in Parallels. I have found that anything newer than Lion doesn't work and iTunes 11 doesn't work but other than that, it works great. I buy and download 1080p TV Shows daily.

robertcoogan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Joshua Tree, California
Don't worry

As of now Requiem 4.1 does not work with 1080p video bought in the iTunes 11 store. Nor can I get it to work with iTunes 10.7 1080p content under OS X 10.8.

It is a Java error (shiver). Plus, you don't need Requiem to convert 1080p video. I use M4V Converter Plus, it handles all videos in all resolutions from the iTunes Store. Very convenient, then I can play the videos on my Nook. :D

http://www.m4vconverterplus.com

Plus they also make an audiobook converter, don't buy it. M4V Converter Plus will also convert DRM audio files.

Last edited:

StinDaWg

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
Plus, you don't need Requiem to convert 1080p video. I use M4V Converter Plus, it handles all videos in all resolutions from the iTunes Store. Very convenient, then I can play the videos on my Nook. :D
That program encodes the video though which lowers quality. Requiem removes DRM but keeps the file in tact.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Aww man I hope he didn't retire :(

I think the iTunes 1080p content is great and very convenient but I would prefer downloading to my computer and wirelessly streaming to my Samsung TV like all my mkv files so I can use just my TV remote instead of TV remote + AppleTV remote. And I'm really not a fan of those complicated multi programmable remotes.

Complicated???

I use a logitech Harmony. When I want to watch Apple TV, I push 1 button. When I want to switch to watching TV, I push 1 button. The remote takes care of all the rest.

Even my 4 year old can use it, its so simple.

jesshurun

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2014
I went through this on my current gen Mac Pro (sadly 2010). I state this as Requiem does not work with newer hardware. I tried on my 2012 MacBook Air and Mac Mini which didn't work. After days of research I learned current hardware is somehow encrypting or blocking requiem from stripping DRM. Since my Mac Pro's hardware is older, I removed iTunes 11.x completely from that system (running 10.8.3 beta at the time). Aside from keystores and the lot, there is a plethora of files left behind in ~/Library/ and /Library/ folders.

I spent some time searching for anything iTunes related and removed it. Of course, make sure you back up all the info first. If "Time Machine" is backing up your data, great, you also might want to copy them to a USB drive just to be sure. OS X Finder is not set to search for system files by default, and there are quite a few.

In case you don't know, here's how to fine tune Finder searches:

1. Open a Finder window and type in iTunes in the window's Spotlight.

2. Next to the "Save" button just below it, click on the "+" sign. This will bring up the ability to search for the file(s) based on chosen parameters (i.e. kind, size, etc.). There are a ton of search fields and most aren't set on the default list.

3. Select the "Kind" option and in the drop down window select "Other". (You'll notice in mine I already have "System Files" as an option, this isn't set until you follow these steps)

4. Once "Other" is chosen, you will see a long list of search parameters to choose from. Select as many as you want but make certain you select "System Files".

5. Returning to the "Kind" drop-down menu, select "System Files". This will include system files in your search.

6. Finally, select "are included", and your search results should change based on the set search parameters.

This will allow you to see iTunes files located in your /Library/ and /System/~folders. Delete anything relating to iTunes. You may want to logout or reboot. Install iTunes 10.7 and all should be working.

Hope this helps! I was able to strip all my 1080P, 720P, etc iTunes movies. My music and books are already DRM free. Good luck!

I created an account to disagree with you, but I have uses requiem with the latest Macmini and had no truble doing it.

Great post btw

Grant Gross

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2014
best alternative to Requiem

I found an alternative to Requiem in removing DRM from iTunes 11 and Mac OS X 10.8 or above. It's called TunesKit, a shareware which works incredible fast for any iTunes movies, including the 1080p and 720p HD ones and preserves the original quality, just as the Requiem does.

StinDaWg

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
I found an alternative to Requiem in removing DRM from iTunes 11 and Mac OS X 10.8 or above. It's called TunesKit, a shareware which works incredible fast for any iTunes movies, including the 1080p and 720p HD ones and preserves the original quality, just as the Requiem does.
It says it's $45?

Grant Gross

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2014
It says it's $45?

Yeah, I'm afraid so. That's what it says in the website. Anyway, despite of the price, I have to say, it worked really fast and smoothly. Frankly spoken, my eye is not able to distinguish the original from the converted movie.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)

This looks interesting. So you've actually tried it and it worked with iTunes 11?

I'm still using iTunes 10 and Mountain Lion largely because I want to watch the movies on non-apple devices and iTunes 10 is the last version that Requiem works with. At some point I'm going to want to upgrade OS X (and will thus have to upgrade iTunes), and this issue is holding me back.

I wouldn't call it shareware, though! The free trial only converts the first five minutes of each movie, and you need to pay $45 for a reg code to convert full movies. Still, I'd be willing to pay that if it didn't get me into financial or legal trouble. I am a little worried about that, though: I guess that selling a product to remove the DRM is maybe illegal, and that anyone willing to run a possibly illegitimate business may not be the most trustworthy with my email and payment information, even if I use PayPal. Plus, my info will be in the company's records; could I be prosecuted in the U.S. for buying this software?

I don't know that much about copyright infringement, etc., so perhaps my concerns are exaggerated...

In any case, thanks for letting us know about this option for DRM removal. Any other usage information would be appreciated; have you come across any certain files or media types it doesn't work with?

StinDaWg

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
Yeah, I'm afraid so. That's what it says in the website. Anyway, despite of the price, I have to say, it worked really fast and smoothly. Frankly spoken, my eye is not able to distinguish the original from the converted movie.
If it's just removing the DRM (like Requiem does) then it is not re-encoding the video so you will not see any difference because literally the only difference is the DRM is gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.