Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

110326-iad_icon.jpg
Apple is planning to launch an ad exchange, according to an anonymous advertising executive who spoke to Business Insider. The site says it heard from "one of the biggest players in online advertising", but could not confirm it -- BI said it talked to other sources who said they had heard nothing about it.

An ad exchange is an online sales platform that allows advertisers to target users through a variety of mechanisms. An Apple exchange could theoretically target particular Apple users based on their location, type of device, buying habits, what apps they own and more. Apple holds a ton of data about the buying habits of its customers, making an Apple ad exchange a potential gold mine for advertisers.
We can't confirm it. And, of course, the ad business is awash with rumors. (And, to give the full context, a couple of other sources we talked to said they'd heard nothing of the kind.)

But ... it's interesting that a bunch of people in the mobile ad business expect, even want, Apple to launch one, perhaps inside iAd, its existing mobile ad network.
Facebook and Twitter have recently announced plans to develop ad exchanges, and companies like Google and Yahoo already have their own.

Bloomberg reported last October that advertising was to be part of a broader push by Apple, in particular with its new iRadio service which is said to be partially funded by advertising:
The advertising initiative is part of broader flexibility Apple Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook is giving the company's mobile advertising group to lure new business and integrate ads with other Apple services, according to people familiar with the matter.
Earlier this week, Apple CEO Tim Cook said at D11 that advertising was not a central business for the company, but Apple wanted to help iOS developers make as much money as possible.

At the beginning of last year, Apple hired former Adobe executive Todd Teresi to head its iAd mobile advertising unit and he now reports directly to Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president for internet software and services.

Article Link: Apple Rumored to Be Considering Launching an Ad Exchange

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
Yay.

On a side note, has anyone ever seen an iAd? Are they limited to certain countries? I don't think I've ever come across one (not that I'm complaining :rolleyes:).

----------

Do you have a reason why you think it's dumb ? Apple is a business who exist to earn profits. All companies will copy competitors when the competitors have a good idea that helps them earn profits.

And then said competitors sue them... :rolleyes: :apple:

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Do you have a reason why you think it's dumb ? Apple is a business who exist to earn profits. All companies will copy competitors when the competitors have a good idea that helps them earn profits.

Given that iAd hasn't exactly been drawing in the Advertisers I'm with the other two. It'd need be something special, not just iOS limited. It'd have to be web-based, and we all know how poorly Apple runs web services.

----------

Yay.

On a side note, has anyone ever seen an iAd? Are they limited to certain countries? I don't think I've ever come across one (not that I'm complaining :rolleyes:).

----------

And then said competitors sue them... :rolleyes: :apple:

You should be getting them in the UK. If you're a developer you instead see Apple iAds Ads on how to make an Ad...yup...that's what I said... :p

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
If true, this will be the most depressing Apple news since Steve's departure. :(
Please Apple, stick to what you do best; Build Great Computers.

Last edited:

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
And we blame Google

Really? I thought 'Google sells the Nexus phone for $350 because they mine your data, Apple don't'

elvetio

macrumors member
May 29, 2012

Because they are always banging on how respectful they are regarding people's private information. And doing this would be a cheating on their costumers. I personally hate Google for doing that. That's why I dropped my Gmail account.

jh344

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
I don't really see why people think this is dumb.

I work for a digital media agency myself (and yes it is a ********* industry, but it pays the bills). Users are going to be served ads no matter what platform we use, be that Android or iOS. None of us like it, but that's something we can't change.

I'd rather be served an ad that's relevant to my interests though than something completely random and unrelated to me...

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
As long as its relegated to an app I downloaded from the app. store for free and only appear when I run that app, I'm OK with it.
If it can pop up no matter what I'm doing on the phone then I want a deep discount on the phone.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
If this means developers are going to be putting even more iAds in their free apps, I won't be buying them anymore.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
iradio service partially funded by the ad, well as long as it's free, dont mind seeing an ad.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
Apple is a business who exist to earn profits. All companies will copy competitors when the competitors have a good idea that helps them earn profits.

Tim cook said at D11 - “I don’t want copying. It’s a values thing. This is about values at the end of the day.”

I know it was in relation to Samsung, but you cannot have it both ways..., unless your Apple it seems.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Apple holds a ton of data about the buying habits of its customers, making an Apple ad exchange a potential gold mine for advertisers.

Like it or not, customer data is what the big tech companies are all fighting over.
Apple, Amazon, Google, and Facebook can and will sell more to you if they know
more about your demographics, purchase history, affinities, etc.

I guess this is why Amazon is considered a "tech company." Because 1. they're
online, and 2. they use a massive database to store your product affinities.
You know, the "Frequently Bought Together," and "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought..."

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The site says it heard from "one of the biggest players in online advertising", but could not confirm it -- BI said it talked to other sources who said they had heard nothing about it.

Explain why this is front page news worthy?

monkor

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
"OMG I won't buy products from an AD COMPANY! That would make them just like GOOGLE!"

...and CNN, and ESPN, and the New York Times, and Fox News, and the Wall Street Journal...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.