Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
They're the right size

They're retina

They use less energy

They're thin enough

The MBA costs a bomb as it is, there'd be no need to raise the price

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
They were just announced.

If Apple is launching next MBA at WWDC... They may not have had time to develop and qualify them into the MBA design, they would have needed access to samples and to start 6mo-1yr ago.

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
They were just announced.

If Apple is launching next MBA at WWDC... They may not have had time to develop and qualify them into the MBA design, they would have needed access to samples and to start 6mo-1yr ago.

You would hope that one of the largest computer manufacturers in the world would have been working with manufacturers behind the scenes before they announced it to the public, I mean... That has always been the case.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
You would hope that one of the largest computer manufacturers in the world would have been working with manufacturers behind the scenes before they announced it to the public, I mean... That has always been the case.
Maybe, maybe not.

http://www.qualcomm.com/media/relea...s-market-ltedc-hspa-chipsets-mobile-broadband
BARCELONA, SPAIN – February 14, 2011 – Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM) today announced two new devices in its family of Mobile Data Modem™ (MDM™) chipsets, the MDM9615™ and MDM8215™. The next generation MDM9615 will support LTE (FDD and TDD), DC-HSPA+, EV-DO Rev-B and TD-SCDMA and the MDM8215 will support DC-HSPA+. These chipsets will be fabricated using the 28nm technology

iPhone 4S didn't have it
announced on October 4, 2011

iPhone 5 did
introduce the phone on September 12, 2012

19 months from Qualcomms public press release, to iPhone integration.

You were saying?

Verix

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010
Expecting cutting edge technology in your laptop so soon is just wishful thinking.
It'll take at least a while.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
They're the right size

They're retina

They use less energy

They're thin enough

The MBA costs a bomb as it is, there'd be no need to raise the price

you are seriously underestimating the amount of effort it takes to upgrade a panel esp for new tech.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
They use less energy

As I understand it the 'energy savings' claims are compared to displays of the same resolution using older display technology.

An IGZO retina display will probably still use more more power than the current displays.

Also that doesn't take into account the extra load on the graphics chip to handle the higher resolution all the time.

Chub

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2013
I am looking into getting a Macbook Air, and although i'm not too bothered about the retina display I would still hope that the new one is at least 1080P. Considering that many of the ultrabooks out there now have 1080P IPS displays.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I am looking into getting a Macbook Air, and although i'm not too bothered about the retina display I would still hope that the new one is at least 1080P. Considering that many of the ultrabooks out there now have 1080P IPS displays.

The problem with that is that the way OSX works going to a slightly higher resolution screen would just make text etc. even smaller.

I really doubt Apple would increase pixel density without going all the way to retina 220+ dpi at this point.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
The problem with that is that the way OSX works going to a slightly higher resolution screen would just make text etc. even smaller.

I really doubt Apple would increase pixel density without going all the way to retina 220+ dpi at this point.

Agreed. It is highly unlikely that Apple will increase the resolution of the screen resolution without 'going retina' (doubling it like they've done to all other devices).

Moving to an IPS screen with possibly higher contrast, I can imagine happening (although I think I'll still wait until a retina screen is available for the 11" MBA before I upgrade).

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
I think this will be an interesting measure of whether Apple has lost its distinctiveness.

Apple usually beat commodity PC makers to market with advanced displays by closely collaborating and locking up supply in advance of release. I think if this display ends up in PCs before Macs, that's a pretty damning fact on the post-Jobs Apple.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I think this will be an interesting measure of whether Apple has lost its distinctiveness.

Apple usually beat commodity PC makers to market with advanced displays by closely collaborating and locking up supply in advance of release. I think if this display ends up in PCs before Macs, that's a pretty damning fact on the post-Jobs Apple.

If Apple doesn't use this display it will be because they chose not to, either because the price, quality and specs weren't agreeable or because they can't get enough quantity to fulfill demand.

You can't have some percentage of MBPs randomly having 30% more or less battery life because Sharp can't fulfill all of the orders.

That's why Apple usually uses a mix of several suppliers for major components.

I think the fact that they were using 220+ dpi display in notebooks for about a year before they became available as 'mass produced' is pretty noteworthy on its own.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
My original thought was that Apple would first use an IGZO screen in the iPhone since the smaller screen could handle lower yields than a larger notebook screen.

After thinking about it more, it actually makes more sense for Apple to first use an IGZO display in a notebook computer (with a MBA possibility) since it would be less risky.

If the mass production of the IGZO displays had problems, it wouldn't matter as much in a notebook computers which is less of a 'cash cow' than the iPhone. Not being able to sell iPhones would be a much more serious problem than not being able to sell cutting edge MBAs (with IGZO screens).

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
If Apple doesn't use this display it will be because they chose not to, either because the price, quality and specs weren't agreeable or because they can't get enough quantity to fulfill demand.

You can't have some percentage of MBPs randomly having 30% more or less battery life because Sharp can't fulfill all of the orders.

That's why Apple usually uses a mix of several suppliers for major components.

I think the fact that they were using 220+ dpi display in notebooks for about a year before they became available as 'mass produced' is pretty noteworthy on its own.

Agree. However I use a MBA 11" and the screen on that is not competitive IMO. They ought to upgrade it this cycle.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Agree. However I use a MBA 11" and the screen on that is not competitive IMO. They ought to upgrade it this cycle.

Not competitive in DPI or quality?

I'd agree with the quality, looking at them side by side in the Apple stores the Air displays just look washed out and have obviously worse viewing angles.

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Not competitive in DPI or quality?

I'd agree with the quality, looking at them side by side in the Apple stores the Air displays just look washed out and have obviously worse viewing angles.

Both.

What bothers me more is resolution.
MBA 11.6": 1366x768
Sony Vaio 11.6": 1920x1080

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Both.

What bothers me more is resolution.
MBA 11.6": 1366x768
Sony Vaio 11.6": 1920x1080

I think it puts Apple in a tough position: They provably really want to go 'retina' (double) but maybe that can't be done yet. But not adding a higher resolution screen now also is bad for sales since they are then behind the curve.

Would they possibly say that not going 2x (yet making it higher) qualifies as 'retina' when they've always doubled it in the past?

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I think it puts Apple in a tough position: They provably really want to go 'retina' (double) but maybe that can't be done yet. But not adding a higher resolution screen now also is bad for sales since they are then behind the curve.

Would they possibly say that not going 2x (yet making it higher) qualifies as 'retina' when they've always doubled it in the past?

The problem is that just going to a high resolution screen (Say 11.6" 1920x1080) would result in very small text, buttons, menus, etc.

Windows has a function to enable arbitrary UI scaling (like 125%) but it can look pretty rough when apps don't support it well.

With OSX's method of handing high res displays Apple pretty much has to go to super high DPI (220+) to make it work well.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
I'm going to add production constraints as well. We will be getting new Macs on June 10th (or at least announced). Is that enough time for Sharp to meet production on such a high selling laptop? We all know Apple doesn't want a repeat of the last iMac release, especially the 27in iMac.

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010

Well the Retina models have not replaced the non Retina models. So just as you have a 13 MBPwRetina and a regular 13 MBP, you might have the same with the MBA 11.

However if they leave the base display as is, then they are stuck with a premium but affordable machine with a **** display, and a very expensive machine with retina but which most people won't buy. That would be dumb IMO.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011

Yep, my cousin has a Asus Zenbook, puts my MBA screen to shame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.