Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oz.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
...I can't believe this feature doesn't exist in iOS

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
It's going to be extremely unlikely that this will ever be added to the iPhone. Apple has been very reluctant to introduce network-related features that aren't widely used in the US.

Given that they have their own "competing" product with this feature (iMessage), it's now even more unlikely.

archbold544

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2013
ios 7 beta delivery reports

It appears as though apple may be adding delivery reports to ios7!!!

IMG_0189.PNG

IMG_0190.PNG

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
are you sure? i've been hoping for this feature for years and have never seen it. i've gotten the red arrow badge on the SMS icon, but never a "failure to send" notification banner or popup...

anything SMS related, including failure/delivery reports, is a network/carrier feature, not an iphone specific one. its not something apple can just "include" as its network dependent, not device dependent.

willryan42

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2009
Doubt this would happen. SMS as a whole will more than likely become obsolete in the next several years as data-based messaging replaces it.

archbold544

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2013
are you sure? i've been hoping for this feature for years and have never seen it. i've gotten the red arrow badge on the SMS icon, but never a "failure to send" notification banner or popup...

I never had the notification or banners either until I updated to ios 7. Just the badge.

bollyboy

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Manchester - UK
Doubt this would happen. SMS as a whole will more than likely become obsolete in the next several years as data-based messaging replaces it.

Have to agree, that's why Uk carriers offer unlimited SMS on there tariffs.
It's because most people wouldn't use them, but they cap/limit data as it's far more popular with iMessage, whatsapp, etc

I think out of my contacts only one person uses regular SMS as there reluctant to upgrade there ageing nokia.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Have to agree, that's why Uk carriers offer unlimited SMS on there tariffs.
It's because most people wouldn't use them, but they cap/limit data as it's far more popular with iMessage, whatsapp, etc

I think out of my contacts only one person uses regular SMS as there reluctant to upgrade there ageing nokia.

In the US it is the other way around. Most people use SMS since it is unlimited in most plans and data is what is capped.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
anything SMS related, including failure/delivery reports, is a network/carrier feature, not an iphone specific one. its not something apple can just "include" as its network dependent, not device dependent.

Actually you are wrong. Gsm standard includes SMS delivery reports by default. Some networks chose not to support it but most do. It's just that apple has never considered it priority enough.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006

that's not totally true with iMessage. Apple has full control over that, and can let you know if an iMessage didn't make it through.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Actually you are wrong. Gsm standard includes SMS delivery reports by default. Some networks chose not to support it but most do. It's just that apple has never considered it priority enough.

How can apple implement something that is non existent? If carriers don't support it then the feature cannot be implemented. :rolleyes:

----------

that's not totally true with iMessage. Apple has full control over that, and can let you know if an iMessage didn't make it through.

Apple has control over iMessage because it's NOT SMS....

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
How can apple implement something that is non existent? If carriers don't support it then the feature cannot be implemented. :rolleyes:

----------

Apple has control over iMessage because it's NOT SMS....

The standard is there, a few carriers don't support it but most do. So it's there. It is very much existent.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
The standard is there, a few carriers don't support it but most do. So it's there. It is very much existent.

Why implement something in the OS that not all carriers don't support? It's a moot point anyways because apple uses iMessage

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010

It used to be very popular in the UK, before the American led OS's of smartphones. Pretty much every phone here had delivery reporting built right into the handset. You'd know straight away if the sender had received your message.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ

i clearly said SMS, not imessage. im fully aware that imesages use data and are under apples control per se. but SMS messages are carrier handled.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
Why implement something in the OS that not all carriers don't support? It's a moot point anyways because apple uses iMessage

It matters because while SMS is an industry standard, iMessage is not.

----------

It used to be very popular in the UK, before the American led OS's of smartphones. Pretty much every phone here had delivery reporting built right into the handset. You'd know straight away if the sender had received your message.

Yes, in Spain too. There was also a way to request a delivery report in unsupported phones by adding *n# at the beginning of the SMS.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK

More carriers worldwide support SMS properly, including delivery reports, than support visual voicemail, or a host of 4G and quasi 4G protocols that the iPhone uses.

jauhari

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2007
So.. any update about SMS Delivery Report on iOS 7 (iPhone 5).

My friends using iOS 7 in iPhone 4/4s have this report.. when I ask how to activated.. he didn't now it :|

He only said, that he used iPhone CDMA version.. so does CDMA version have this featured but GSM not? Here is a prove

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So.. any update about SMS Delivery Report on iOS 7 (iPhone 5).

My friends using iOS 7 in iPhone 4/4s have this report.. when I ask how to activated.. he didn't now it :|

He only said, that he used iPhone CDMA version.. so does CDMA version have this featured but GSM not? Here is a prove

[url=http://i.imgur.com/8Ar2nXK.jpg]Image[/URL]
That seems like some sort of a carrier feature where the carrier sends you a text back after sending the message. Not really as useful as an actual delivery confirmation like in iMessage or some other messengers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.