Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ravich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Portland, OR
The basic issue is that the fan on the right side of my laptop will periodically start making really loud noises that sound like grinding, and it's obviously not the HDD, so it has to be the fan.

I can do something like shift the position of it, and suddenly the noise will kick in. If I give it a love tap or turn it on its side or something similar, the noise might stop (or not).

I just took a look at istats or whatever it's called, and whenever this happens the RPM on the right fan will be at a different speed than the left fan. Something like 1963 compared to the left's 1999.

Heat sink A is usually about 10 degrees hotter than heat sink B.

Any recommendations? Is there a screw somewhere that need's tightening, or might it be the motor?

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Bearings in it are starting to fail. It's normal for fans. Probably less trouble in the end to just buy a new one and replace it, rather than try to repair the existing one.

You can either buy one from ifixit.com (and get the step-by-step guide to DIY), or get the Apple part number from there, and then scour eBay for it for a cheaper price than iFixit.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
What exactly does fixing it entail? The fan is 50$, which could be worse, but this thing sounds like a freakin lawn mower, and it has now started to make the noise perpetually instead of occasionally.

I've only done the left fan myself a couple years ago (that one is still going strong ... knock on wood). However, if memory serves me correctly, the left one is more complicated because you have to remove a couple more cables to get them out of the way of the fan completely in order to remove it. You won't have that problem for the right fan. So, it should be fairly simple. You will just need to make sure that you have the right tools.

iFixit has a guide with pictures that steps you through the entire procedure.

Here is the guide for replacing the right fan for your system.

Ravich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Portland, OR
So I put some WD40 on the fan and that helped for about a week, but the noise came back so I went ahead and bought a replacement. When I replaced it, I noticed that there was a strip of black electrical tape looking stuff with a copper looking strip on the sticky side, and it was still stuck to my fan, but not the heat sink in the laptop innards. Is it possible that this strip is what was causing the noise? Just a thought. Do I need it to be there? It doesnt stick very well when I apply it to the new fan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.