Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has proven to have relatively reliable information over the past several years, released a new research note last week highlighting his expectations for changes to Apple's notebook lineup at next week's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC). With Intel preparing to launch its latest Haswell processors this week, Apple will be able to make significant upgrades to at least part of its notebook lineup, but additional changes appear to be in store as well.

macbook_air_macbook_pro.jpg
Among the most interesting predictions from Kuo is word that the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro will see a slightly slimmer design, as well as an improved camera. Kuo had indicated as long ago as January that Apple would be tweaking the design of the Retina MacBook Pro this year, despite having just introduced the form factor last year.
We expect the 13" Retina MacBook Pro will have a slightly slimmer form factor for increasing its portability. Also, we think the camera spec will be upgraded from HD to full HD. This will improve Facetime and video conference quality in the high resolution Retina display.
Kuo also now believes that Apple will not be upgrading the non-Retina MacBook Pro, instead simply continuing to sell the current Ivy Bridge-based models as it seeks to phase out the non-Retina line. Kuo had originally believed that Apple would discontinue the non-Retina line at this year's WWDC, but adjusted his predictions earlier this year based on the belief that continued strong sales of the machines would drive Apple to continue selling them.

On the MacBook Air, Kuo believes that the line will see a shift to dual built-in microphones, as was introduced on the Retina MacBook Pro last year.
We forecast that this year's new MacBook Air model will also have dual built-in microphones as a result of positive feedback on this feature in Retina MacBook Pro, which delivers clear voice quality on Facetime and VoIP service.
Overall, Kuo expects that improvements to the Retina MacBook Pro and MacBook Air, along with stagnation of the non-Retina MacBook Pro line, will continue Apple's shift toward solid-state storage in its notebooks. Kuo's predictions see Apple putting solid-state storage in 64% of its notebook shipments this year, up from 45% last year when the company began transitioning the MacBook Pro line.

kuo_notebook_shipments_2013.jpg

Despite Apple's updates, Kuo believes that the company will see a 10-20% decline in notebook shipments for 2013, with a slow overall PC market and cannibalization by the iPad contributing to lower sales. The company's predicted strategic move to lower the appeal of the non-Retina MacBook Pro would likely also contribute to declining sales unless pricing on Retina models can be lowered.

Article Link: Slimmer 13" Retina MacBook Pro, Dual Mic MacBook Air Expected at WWDC

Last edited:

PBP

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
I want a retina mbp price drop and iMac/Mac Pro Haswell updates :mad:

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Kuo also now believes that Apple will not be upgrading the non-Retina MacBook Pro, instead simply continuing to sell the current Ivy Bridge-based models as it seeks to phase out the non-Retina line.

Didn't expect that. I would have thought they'd either upgrade and sell for another year, or drop completely to replace with the rMBP at the same price.

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010
So the 13" rMBP is getting a full HD webcam whereas the one on the 15" model stays at 720p? Makes no sense to me.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I think the non-retina MBP will continue - even the base cMBP has a 500 gb drive at $1199, and to match that in Retina you would pay $1999 or so.

I would love to get a retina but I really need the 500 gb drive since a new rMBP would slowly replace my aging 2008 iMac 24".

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
If it's thinner without sacrificing battery life, I'm game, otherwise not so much!

s.horsfield

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
New Zealand
Precisely why I wasn't a first gen adopter. Not that the slightly slimmer form factor really matters to me, but they would have learn't over the past year what needed to be changed. Which in turn will give me a better product (think iPad to iPad 2). All I'm hoping for now is Iris Pro graphics in the 13" Retina

jhead95

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Discontinuing the non-retina Pro's!?! I can't think of anything worse... unless the cost of SSD's dramatically drop so that I can still have at LEAST 500 GB of storage in my Pro. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Why does the cMBP have the MegSafe 1, while the Air and rMBP has the MegSafe 2?

I think Apple's going to discontinue the cMBP.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
A thinner 13" MBP? It's going to topple over :eek:

If so I certainly hope Haswell allows performance specs to handle the heat and battery drain. Also not sure where the MBAir fits into all this.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I would be very surprised if they didn't upgrade the 13" Air display. It's not time for "Retina" but at least 1080p is possible this year.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
This is the only analyst I can believe. Doesn't seem like Macs are getting that much of an update this year. Hopefully by next year they'll have learned how to fit a retina display into a MacBook Air without killing the battery life or making it double in size.

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
This guy is actually VERY reputable. He was the first to claim that they wouldn't get rid of the cMBP last year and sell rMBP on the side. He also successfully proclaimed that the 13" would be released later in the year.

jaybrad

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Apple will introduce a new category. A larger screen desktop iPad device. Apps will be custom designed to take advantage of the larger screen. It won't be a touch screen Mac, it will be an iOS device.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Kuo believes that the company will see a 10-20% decline in notebook shipments for 2013

Even with a slimmer design? WTF? How could the public ignore such innovation?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.