Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

itunes_radio_icon.jpg
The New York Times reports that Apple is still hoping to launch its much-rumored streaming music service at its Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) next week, pressing to complete deals with record labels that would allow the company to announce the service.
Apple's service, a Pandora-like feature that would tailor streams of music to each user's taste, has been planned since at least last summer. But Apple has made little progress with record labels and music publishers, which have been seeking higher royalty rates and guaranteed minimum payments, according to these people, who spoke anonymously about the private talks.

While it is still at odds with some music companies over deal terms, Apple is said to be eager to get the licenses in time to unveil the service -- nicknamed iRadio by the technology press -- at its annual developers conference, which begins June 10 in San Francisco.
Two weeks ago, The Verge reported that Apple might be unable to launch the service at WWDC due to continued difficulties with the negotiations, but it seems that Apple may be making a strong last-minute effort to meet that goal.

Apple had previously signed a deal with Universal Music, the world's largest record label, and the Times indicates that Apple signed a deal with Warner Music Group this weekend. Negotiations with other labels and publishers are continuing.

Apple's streaming music service is said to be a free, ad-supported offering, with the labels reportedly seeking similar revenue rates to that seen from Pandora, although Apple is seeking more extensive licenses to provide more flexibility for users.

Update 7:08 PM: The Wall Street Journal has more on Apple's deal with Warner:
Under the deal, Apple will give Warner Music Group's publishing arm 10% of ad revenue -- more than twice what Internet radio giant Pandora Media Inc. pays major music publishers. Warner's terms with Apple could pave the way for other major publishing deals to follow.

Apple has indicated to people involved in the negotiations that the service could be announced at its annual developers conference, which begins June 10 in San Francisco.

Article Link: Apple Pushing to Complete Record Deals for Streaming Music Service Launch at WWDC

iAmUndefined

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2012
Crazy

Apple should launch an unlimited music service for free with a purchase of iDevice.

/s

I seriously hope the service is more like Spotify than Pandora.

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
Hopefully they integrate iTunes Ping well. A service like this only works if there is a social aspect... sharing tracks with friends, listening histories, etc

Oldfash33

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2011
I like Pandora fine, but I think apple can make it great. I like the idea of a free subscription with the purchase of an iOS device.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
meh wake me up when i can listen to the whole itunes catalogue with my iTunes Match subscription otherwise apple will be the laughing stock with everyone else but them offering the best of both worlds in one package.

i can already see the headlines "Apple catching up with everyone else but .. not really"

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
meh wake me up when i can listen to the whole itunes catalogue with my iTunes Match subscription otherwise apple will be the laughing stock with everyone else but them offering the best of both worlds in one package.

i can already see the headlines "Apple catching up with everyone else but .. not really"

Agreed.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I was thinking about it, and basically what I want is Spotify Premium, but for free.

Apple doesn't need to release their own service; there's plenty already*. All they need to do is throw in a year of Spotify Premium with the purchase of every Mac or iOS device and I'd be happy.

* Unless they want to do something truly new, but my understanding is the only thing Apple wants to do that no one has done before is negotiate a deal where they get a crazy amount of revenue from it.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
I really couldn't care less about this service, as musicians will be the only party who doesn't benefit (just like all the other streaming services). Labels, yes. Apple, yes. Customers, yes. The artists? Nope.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This seems more like follow the leader, rather than leader of the gang.

Ah so just like Google then. :D

Seriously I'd rather they wait and get it right than rush just to launch something for WWDC.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I really couldn't care less about this service, as musicians will be the only party who doesn't benefit (just like all the other streaming services). Labels, yes. Apple, yes. Customers, yes. The artists? Nope.

it should be quite clear by now that things have changed with the digital age and that "selling" music can no longer be their main focus. artists basically just use the "music" aspect to get people to go to their concerts, buying merchandise etc. nowadays

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
To me, this sounds like a service that is 'just enough' to satisfy the demand for streaming music, but at the same this service is made in such a way that they don't risk losing revenue from the iTunes music store.

Now, obviously everything we know is based on rumours, but from what I'm reading I think this is the case. They are trying to create a music streaming service, but at the same time they are afraid that they will compete with their own online iTunes music store.

If this is true, than that's really sad. The company that pushed the music industry forward just a little over a decade ago with the iPod and iTunes, now doesn't really seem to be willing to go all-in on the next logical step: streaming.

Apple is making some great products, but in my opinion the last 'great product' that really was innovative from Apple was the iPad 2.
Obviously, in the meantime they have done some great things, like releasing an iPad with Retina display and creating an ultra-thin MacBook Pro with Retina Display, but to me, it feels like they are not doing as much as they can do.

They aren't releasing products like the iPhone 4, which was like: "Hey you. This is our new iPhone: a radically new design, incredibly high resolution display which is unheard of in customer products, advanced microphone systems, a hugely improved camera, much longer battery life but also much thinner... and much, much more."
Now it feels like they are saying: "We're not throwing the best and most innovative technologies currently available in our products. No, this year we'll give them a Retina display. Next year, we'll give them a higher resolution (front facing camera). The year after, we'll maybe update the design.

Basically, they aren't taking any big risks. Maybe because they know they are going to sell so many iPhones/iPads/Macs, that they cannot afford to make any mistakes. I don't know.

Another example. Shortly before the iPad 2 was introduced, lots of rumours were already talking about a Retina display. At the time, when the introduction came closer, the rumours had a tone like "You know, Apple really tried to put a Retina display in the iPad 2, but they simply cannot do it yet this year."

Now take the iPad mini. Even before the iPad mini was introduced, there were already rumours about an iPad mini with Retina display... but in a very different way: the rumours were talking about that the Retina display would be saved for next year's version.

See the difference? Two and a half years ago, insiders would talk about how Apple "couldn't just yet do it" just year and that they really tried. Just a few months ago, insiders would talk about how Apple was "saving" the Retina display for next year's version.

A few years ago, they weren't introducing many great new features because it was necessary. No, it was never necessary. They introduced stuff, like the Retina display, because they wanted the 'latest and greatest' in their products.
Now, a few years later, they seem to have realized that having the 'latest and greatest' in their products is not necessary and they seem to be acting accordingly.

I'm sure that if Apple were to introduce a music streaming service a few years ago, they would have gone all-in; even if it meant that they would lose iTunes sales.

[end of disappointment/anger]

macs4nw

macrumors 601
.....Apple had previously signed a deal with Universal Music, the world's largest record label, and the Times indicates that Apple signed a deal with Warner Music Group this weekend. Negotiations with other labels and publishers are continuing. Article Link: Apple Pushing to Complete Record Deals for Streaming Music Service Launch at WWDC

If the WARNER deal is true, and APPLE can secure a deal with either SONY or BMG within the next 8 days, then I'd say the 'iRadio' introduction at WWDC is a strong possibility.

With APPLE's huge installed user base, an agreement acceptable to all involved, is in everyone's interest, sooner rather than later. APPLE's deal can't be that odious since UNIVERSAL, and now reportedly WARNER, have signed on.

It's unlikely iRadio will be rolled out without the support/cooperation of all, or at least most, major music publishers. Right now, in the absence of a deal with all 4, all parties are losing out, and that includes us the consumers.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
it should be quite clear by now that things have changed with the digital age and that "selling" music can no longer be their main focus. artists basically just use the "music" aspect to get people to go to their concerts, buying merchandise etc. nowadays

That's just you as a customer trying to justify getting an artist's work for as little money as possible. Music artists generally only make enough through merch to pay for their touring costs -- they've always had merch, and it's always just been an extra bit of money for them. Constant touring is not a solution.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
I think I'm going to pull my hair out if Apple and Sony don't come to an agreement fast enough. Hopefully the music industry can put enough pressure on either of them to do so NOW.

I am an Apple fanboy though and Sony has been pissing me off lately so I would prefer Sony gives in already.

BanterClaus

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
UK
This needs to work like Spotify over Pandora or Spotify will continue to dominate this space.

ninjadex

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
WWDC is a developers conference. Why in the world would the big announcement be a Streaming Music Service?

No doubt this service is in the works, but please don't be naive thinking Apple will spend time at WWDC discussing it.

Apple will be releasing some new Macs, like previous years. Other than that, you can expect to hear about iOS 7 and the next version of OS X. Period.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
WWDC is a developers conference. Why in the world would the big announcement be a Streaming Music Service?

No doubt this service is in the works, but please don't be naive thinking Apple will spend time at WWDC discussing it.

Apple will be releasing some new Macs, like previous years. Other than that, you can expect to hear about iOS 7 and the next version of OS X. Period.
It could be a built-in app for iOS 7 so yeah.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.