Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fontane

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Using an iphone 5 with over 50% of space free, but when I get a text message and either click on the notification or manually open the message app, the phone lags for a few seconds, or even locks up. Only lasts about 3-5 seconds but it's very frustrating. Also, it only happens every other text message or so.

Any ideas on where I can start to troubleshoot this problem?

Also, although I back up messages to icloud, I'd like to back up some messages to my mac so I can permanently delete them from my phone. Any suggestions on how to do this? I did a google search and couldn't find a good solution.

Thanks!

nightstalkerz

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2013
I see this happen on my iPhone 5 as well.

I think the lag might be due to the amount of messages.

If there are more than 50 on a contact, it will archive the older ones.

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012
I think he just needs to restart his phone. We'll see what happened if OP comes back to post an update.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I have this problem if I don't keep up with my text. If I let 20-50 text accumulate (in a group message that's not uncommon for me) my 4S will slow to a stand still.

Checking them all, resetting my phone (home plus power until apple logo) fixes it.

It slows down iOS entirely. Other apps will be fine. I find it very annoying however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.