Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iTweed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2013
Dear Mac experts

Got a problem you might be able to help me with. Maybe it's easy to fix maybe not.

The problem: When I fire up Itunes and browse for library files, iTunes won't let me select any files called iTunes Library

How I got here is:
I have my iTunes music and library on an external HDD
The other day my laptop was quiet and I opened iTunes without my HDD plugged in to check if I'd left iTunes quiet. I rashly created a new library on my desktop. No biggy.
I deleted the new library when tidying up stuff.
I plugged in my HDD and turned on iTunes. It prompts me to choose a new libary
everything's greyed out

What should I do? Options I thought of were:
Create a new library on the external HDD and drag all my stuff into it.
Reboot something, somewhere.

As far as I know all my old stuff is in tact iTunes just isn't recognising it. I'm a bit edgy because I lost some of my music about a year ago (long story).

Help appreciated

iTweed

bloutrein

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Durban
I plugged in my HDD and turned on iTunes. It prompts me to choose a new libary
everything's greyed out

What do you mean "everything is greyed out" could you add a screenshot? What I'd do is go to where your iTunes library.itl file linked to your original iTunes library is and double-click on that. iTunes should automatically open with your original iTunes library in place.

iTweed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2013
What do you mean "everything is greyed out" could you add a screenshot? What I'd do is go to where your iTunes library.itl file linked to your original iTunes library is and double-click on that. iTunes should automatically open with your original iTunes library in place.

Hi Bloutrein thanks for your post.

Sure, my mistake, sorry I didn't explain clearly.

2ut5j04.png

By greyed out I mean, none of the files are selectable.

I'd really like to get my iTunes library back. Help appreciated.

bloutrein

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Durban
You said that you ran iTunes once with your HDD where your original .itl file is found unplugged.

Isn't "iTunes 1" the new library you created while your HDD was unplugged? What are the contents of "iTunes old" do you see a clickable .itl there?

Ultimately, plug in your external HDD, navigate to the folder where the original .itl file is locatied and without having to open iTunes in advance, double click on the original .itl - this should open your original iTunes library.

iTweed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2013
You said that you ran iTunes once with your HDD where your original .itl file is found unplugged.

Isn't "iTunes 1" the new library you created while your HDD was unplugged? What are the contents of "iTunes old" do you see a clickable .itl there?
No, "iTunes 1" is the correct library. Both are on an external HDD - the new one was on my desktop.

Ultimately, plug in your external HDD, navigate to the folder where the original .itl file is locatied and without having to open iTunes in advance, double click on the original .itl - this should open your original iTunes library.

I just tried this exactly as you say - clicking on the original .itl file without lanuching iTunes (at least I think it's .itl - doesn't say in Get Info) - popup says, "The Folder containing iTunes Library cannot be found, and is required. Please choose or locate a new iTunes library"

At this rate I'll just take it into an Apple store.

Thraun

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2008
Abbotsford, BC
I think you just have to select the iTunes library folder itself. Going by your screenshot, I think if you just clicked the highlighted 'Open' button you should be good to go.

iTweed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2013
I think you just have to select the iTunes library folder itself. Going by your screenshot, I think if you just clicked the highlighted 'Open' button you should be good to go.
Wow, thank you!!

All the guidance I could find said, look for the FILE, and in Windows, opening the folder would just, take you into the folder.

Anyway, muchas gracias. Whoop!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.