Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
They already have this functionality. Its called s-beam (android beam) Its also much better implemented and uses wifi direct so it doesn't require devices to be on the same wireless network like this will. Using NFC for the pairing makes the setup of the connection extremely simple.

Android already/and has done WiFi Direct for a long time now.

Samsung just added on their own layer that required NFC/Blu-Tooth.

I can WiFi direct any movie or picture to my Smart TV, other "Smart Phones (non Apple) or my computer.

Welcome to 2009 or so. If this is Apple only sharing it is and will be just like FaceTime (that was promised to be open), iMessage and every other iThing that Apple is chasing the puck for.

Last edited:

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
There's a an app that do this already on the App Store called Instashare... You need to be on the same WiFi connection though but gets the job done in 5 seconds.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
If this opens the gates for some kind of very basic file management system, that would be incredible. The fact that I can't plug my phone into a computer and use it as a USB device beggars belief.

Even if the files went into a dumping ground which you could then select "send to .... iTunes/photos/videos" etc would be a much more versatile system than (as many people are suggesting here) having to email themselves content to get it on the device. But perhaps I’m way off base.

I'm quite excited.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
AirDrop is actually very cool.

The way it works in the Mac, you don't even need to be on the same Wi-Fi network - in fact you don't need a WiFi network at all to send files.

It works if you're both on different WiFi networks, or if one or both of you has no WiFi at all. It's perfect for the iPhone.

It works by having the WiFi card switch rapidly between the two states; which means you get a real proximity-based 'who is near me' list (...of people also in the AirDrop window; for privacy reasons the Mac doesn't keep broadcasting).

really? Are you saying it works with cell data? if so..wouldn't cost us lot of data to transfer?

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
AirDrop relies on a technology called Wifi Direct to allow it to connect to other devices without connecting to an existing wireless network. WD has been in macs for a while, but the new Broadcom wireless chip in the iP5 is the first to support it in the iPhone.

I am not stating the exact tech was in the iphone 4. I am saying, a solution should have been made before now. Plain and simple.

bag of kittens

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2012
inside a bag
If this opens the gates for some kind of very basic file management system, that would be incredible. The fact that I can't plug my phone into a computer and use it as a USB device beggars belief.

Even if the files went into a dumping ground which you could then select "send to .... iTunes/photos/videos" etc would be a much more versatile system than (as many people are suggesting here) having to email themselves content to get it on the device. But perhaps I’m way off base.

I'm quite excited.

I agree. One of the biggest improvements iOS can make in my opinion is the sharing of files. This would be a huge step forward.

I'm hoping Apple can look at what Dropbox has done and make improvements to iCloud. I am really excited about iOS 7 now. :)

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
you know, this is one of those things where i wish apple wouldn't try to be the maker and doer of everything; i just wish they'd partner with dropbox like everyone else.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
really? Are you saying it works with cell data? if so..wouldn't cost us lot of data to transfer?

No, it connects to a computer via Wifi, but it does so without a router. You could be in the middle of the desert and it would work, as long as you have 2 macs, or a mac and (now) an iPhone running iOS 7.

King Flamez1

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Toronto, Canada
I'm more excited about .ac wireless cards. I use airdrop on my mac all the time between friends to transfer large video files (pron, tv episodes, movies etc.)

It'd be great to see a huge speed boost like that

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
No, it connects to a computer via Wifi, but it does so without a router. You could be in the middle of the desert and it would work, as long as you have 2 macs, or a mac and (now) an iPhone running iOS 7.

In other words, it creates an ad(hoc) network between the 2 devices.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
They already have this functionality. Its called s-beam (android beam) Its also much better implemented and uses wifi direct so it doesn't require devices to be on the same wireless network like this will. Using NFC for the pairing makes the setup of the connection extremely simple.

So based on your comments you do not even know how AirDrop works on a Mac right now even though it's been around since 2011.

I'm quite intrigued. How do you know the S-Beam feature is "much better implemented" when you don't know anything about AirDrop and none of us knows exactly how the feature will be implemented on iOS? Are you a clairvoyant?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I have never used this once.

If I need to share a file I just throw it into a Dropbox folder that's already being shared by people I know. Proximity and platform is then irrelevant.

The one drawback with Dropbox is how slow it can be to add new devices. I have 11 GB used right now - when I add a new device it takes it around 30 hours to download all the files. I'd really like it if you could prioritize files on it or something... like, get these files downloaded ASAP because I need them right now, everything else will be nice in the future but I don't need them right now.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
What's with features leaping from OSX to IOS and vice versa and being touted as "new" when they release? Need NEW features.

Like what? What's a new feature you can think of? Revamped notifications? No, that's not new. Widgets? No, that feature came from OS X (although it has been on the backburner recently). Live animations? That's not new...I have widgets on OS X that does that. Attaching files and a file system? No, OS X already has those.

So again......what would be brand spanking new that isn't already on either OS X or iOS and not an improvement over existing functions.

bag of kittens

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2012
inside a bag
Android already/and has done WiFi Direct for a long time now.

Samsung just added on their own layer that required NFC/Blu-Tooth.

I can WiFi direct any movie or picture to my Smart TV, other "Smart Phones (non Apple) or my computer.

Welcome to 2009 or so. If this is Apple only sharing it is and will be just like FaceTime (that was promised to be open), iMessage and every other iThing that Apple is chasing the puck for.

Apple will take that idea and execute it better. Not chasing the puck, but stealing android's puck, as it were.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
I have Apple products.

How about they put out something that is actually worth buying so I can buy a new toy.

This feature if it's even in iOS7 will more than likely be limited to the 5S and maybe 5 just like Siri and Maps.

Why not tell me how this is revolutionary or evolutionary instead of calling me a troll.

By the way, hope it comes to Apple and welcome to the 2009 warp drive.

And for the record. I never argue. I state facts that some Apple users don't like. It's call being a realist.

For the record everyone who debates either leads to agreement, indifference or direct conflict. No human being is incapable of not arguing. It's socially and genetically ingrained.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
I have Apple products.

How about they put out something that is actually worth buying so I can buy a new toy.

This feature if it's even in iOS7 will more than likely be limited to the 5S and maybe 5 just like Siri and Maps.

Why not tell me how this is revolutionary or evolutionary instead of calling me a troll.

By the way, hope it comes to Apple and welcome to the 2009 warp drive.

And for the record. I never argue. I state facts that some Apple users don't like. It's call being a realist.

If you think Apple's current products aren't worth buying, go get an Android device. You already talked about how Android has supported Wi-Fi Direct for a while now, and you sarcastically mention Apple's lack of NFC support. So why complain- go buy something that already does what you want it to do!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.